Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

company email misuse

Options
  • 28-05-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Over the weeekend I sent messages through my iphone on a dating website. I thought I was using my gmail account but they ended up being sent from my work email.

I work for a large multinational and Im really nervous over this mistake. I was thinking of explainig the sitution to HR tomorrow. But then Im not sure if thats going just draw attention for something that might have been missed.

There were no images but perhaps some key words in the text of the messages that might be flagged by whatever monitoring tool they use.

Any advice would be much apprecited.

A

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd be more concerned about the person who've you sent these details to be but lets move on; is there anything you'd not be comfortable to tell a female/male colleague in the e-mail you sent (i.e. does it have sexual messages or other inappropriate text)?

If the answer is yes you're in deeper than if the e-mail is more generic of "Hi, I think you're interesting how about having a beer?". Either way instead of approaching HR I'd have a quiet word with your boss and along the lines of "You know I dropped a mail to this girl/guy this weekend and I did not realize it went from my company mail; I'm so embarrassed about it and so sorry I made the mistake; do you think I’m in trouble now?”. Most likely answer is no and the manager laughing it off but if you are in trouble at least they are informed and you’ve expressed regret about it (so if it comes to your manager’s attention through the powers to be there’s no surprise and the manager can decide on appropriate actions proactively).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reinmessner

Thanks I apprecite advice. There are words in the messages that will probably get flagged. I think Ill speak to my manager about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Thanks I apprecite advice. There are words in the messages that will probably get flagged. I think Ill speak to my manager about it.

Work in multinational and have worked in a few of them - the great thing about these places is so much goes unnoticed - doubt anyone will notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My advice is to send another email from personal account apologising for error and asking recipient to delete work email address from records.

If you ever get pulled up on it at work you can say you "dealt" with it.

Large multi will probably never spot this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Work in multinational and have worked in a few of them - the great thing about these places is so much goes unnoticed - doubt anyone will notice it.

Not worth taking the chance over, however. You cannot generically "broad stroke" and say these things go unnoticed. OP, a discreet meeting with the relevent folks is your best bet. Mistakes happen to the best of people. They may think it nothing, but it's better that they hear it from you than someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I disagree: MNs are more likely to have the tools and resources to spot this stuff. They may choose not to do anything about it, but are more likely than most to spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

3DataModem wrote: »
    My advice is to send another email from personal account apologising for error and asking recipient to delete work email address from records.

If you ever get pulled up on it at work you can say you "dealt" with it.

Large multi will probably never spot this.

I think thats pretty good advice.

Advertisement