Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on using Haswell on-board graphics for triple monitor setup - office use

Options
  • 28-05-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hi, i'm upgrading my PC and looking for some advice as to whether i'll need a graphics card. i've read interesting reports about the capabilities of the onboard GPU with the haswell processors. the motherboard i've picked out has VGA, DVI, HDMI and Displayport video outputs which should work with my 3 monitor setup. i only use the computer for software development, don't even watch movies on it, no gaming requirements. screen resolutions are 1280x1024 (x2) and 1680x1050.

Asus Z87 pro
    Intel 4770
    Samsung 840 pro 256Gb
    Kingston HyperX 16 Gb DDR 3 / 2100Mhz

i'm planning to start out with this anyway and see how it goes, but interested to see if anyone knows if it's a non-runner. i like the thought of all that extra air-flow in the case with no graphics card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Should work fine. One of the big selling point with Haswell is the multi-monitor support out of the box. The only thing about that hypothetical build is you'll want the 4770K (more likely the 4670K, as office stuff won't use Hyperthreading) or that overclockable motherboard is a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

thanks for the tip about the 4670K, i'll be glad of whatever performance i can get with visual studio compile times, but the bit of reading around i've done suggests that HT doesn't offer much (if anything) for 4+ physical cores, unless you're doing parallel computations or media encoding etc. the 6Mb vs 8Mb L3 cache hopefully won't make that much difference.

i'll be sticking with the stock air cooler and will only go for a modest overclock. more interested in keeping temps low and stable, it would be nice to get a good years out of this setup. my i7 920 is going strong at 4 years :)
    thanks again, you probably saved me €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd put some of that €100 into a better cooler. If you're looking to keep things cool and stable, the stock cooler won't do it, least not without sounding like a hair dryer.

Cheap and quiet solution

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

sound advice. will go with that. cheers

Advertisement