Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crying Puppy - Does is last long / can it be stopped?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

1100010110 wrote: »
    With the toilet training, best advice we got and stuck to is a rule of thumb of the pup needing a toilet break which corresponds to how old they are, i.e.
    2 months old = every 2 hours
    3 months old = every 3 hours
    4 months old = every 4 hours
    5 months old = every 5 hours
    6 months old = every 6 hours
    7 months old = every 7 hours
    8 months old = every 8 hours, then they should be good to rock and roll. Take them outside according to the schedule and do not go back inside until they relieve themselves and once they do, make sure to make a really big deal about how happy you are that they went outside, they will begin to associate you being happy they did it outside and do everything they can to make you happy again, all they want to do is make you happy.
    Another tip was to establish the pecking order, make sure that you eat before they do, no matter how much they beg, ignore them completely until you are finished your food, then feed them, sounds a bit harsh but they very quickly learn that they are not the boss in the relationship, also only ever feed them from their own bowl, then they know that if it's not in their bowl, it's not for them.

Oh dear :(. Such outdated, old fashioned advice.

People have moved on now from this old fashioned dominance theory. Theres no place for it really in dog ownership and most qualified trainers will agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

really? enlighten me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

With the toilet training, best advice we got and stuck to is a rule of thumb of the pup needing a toilet break which corresponds to how old they are, i.e.
    2 months old = every 2 hours
    3 months old = every 3 hours
    4 months old = every 4 hours
    5 months old = every 5 hours
    6 months old = every 6 hours
    7 months old = every 7 hours
    8 months old = every 8 hours, then they should be good to rock and roll. Take them outside according to the schedule and do not go back inside until they relieve themselves and once they do, make sure to make a really big deal about how happy you are that they went outside, they will begin to associate you being happy they did it outside and do everything they can to make you happy again, all they want to do is make you happy.
    Another tip was to establish the pecking order, make sure that you eat before they do, no matter how much they beg, ignore them completely until you are finished your food, then feed them, sounds a bit harsh but they very quickly learn that they are not the boss in the relationship, also only ever feed them from their own bowl, then they know that if it's not in their bowl, it's not for them.

This way of thinking is very outdated. The dogs don't think that they are the boss, and don't try to take over the world just because they get fed first. They also don't if they are allowed to walk through a doorway first, or are allowed up on a sofa. Treat your dog with kindness and consistency and you should have a great, life long partnership.

^^^
    This.

so.. a dog from the same litter who knocks kids over, takes food (a sandwhich) from their hands as they bring it to their mouth, that is what we should have aimed for?
    Also, the parents and 2 of her siblings had to be put down as one of them bit an electrician visting the house (from where we got her).

• Advertisement

so.. a dog from the same litter who knocks kids over, takes food (a sandwhich) from their hands as they bring it to their mouth, that is what we should have aimed for?

Not exactly sure what the point of this is?

This would be down to basic training, nothing to do with dominance or showing them whos boss.

Sorry, I don't understand your point, unless it is that someone with another dog allows their dog to eat first, and this is the result? What I see is someone who didn't bother training their dog at all, which is why it now behaves badly. Nothing to do with pecking order.

People who work their dogs, and who depend on them for the livelihood (or lives sometimes) will always look after the dogs first, feeding them before they eat etc. Yet they have a relationship that allows them to work in partnership.

Of course a dog needs to be trained, so that it understands what is expected of it.

sorry my bad, is there a right way and a wrong way? I presumed that positive reinforcement and working with the natural instinct of the animal as opposed to attempt to antagonise it was a safe bet.

Also, the parents and 2 of her siblings had to be put down as one of them bit an electrician visting the house (from where we got her).

What has this got to do with what we are talking about? Im confused? :confused:

I'd also like to point out that I do treat my dog with love and kindness (and consistency), I hope I didn't give the impression that I show agression to her, sorry guys, guess I'm getting a bit defensive about my relationship with my dog.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    What has this got to do with what we are talking about? Im confused? :confused:
    My bad, sorry

sorry my bad, is there a right way and a wrong way? I presumed that positive reinforcement and working with the natural instinct of the animal as opposed to attempt to antagonise it was a safe bet.

Totally agree about positive reinforcement, but what do you mean by the natural instinct of the animal?

This is the point where I leave with my tail between my legs

This is the point where I leave with my tail between my legs

Aw no don't go, I loved your house training advice, its a discussion forum, discussion is good, even if we don't always agree with each other :)

Agree with ISDW, you were spot on with the house training advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Dogs natural instincts aren't to be the boss of the house.

There is a certain TV 'personality' that considers himself to be a trainer than compares dogs to wolves because they evolved from the same species all those years ago. He has perpetuated a LOT of bad advice on dog training and in particular the 'dominance theory' that the human needs to be the Alpha of the pack. Dogs were domesticated from wolves a long long time ago and none of them are looking to be the alpha of anybodys pack. They just want food and shelter, exercise and companionship. Simple really.

IIRC he's actually come out and said he was wrong on some of his theories. I can't confirm because I won't watch him and the few bits I have I get upset at how he treats the dogs. But his books are still on shelves and repeats still on TV:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 ruberix

Our wee fella is loving his bed more and more now. No real crying at night at all. I get up in the morning and let him out for a toilet break. I'm taking him in and out all the time for toilet breaks and treating him but he's still doing wee's and poo's inside, even if the door is open it won't occur to him to go outside. Ugh.

I'm sure it's still early days on the house training though.

Everybody loves him and now my mother wants to get one he's so gorgeous. They already have one working dog so not sure what she'll make of a house dog taking over her turf. My fella and my parents lady got on great at the weekend though, lots of playing and butt sniffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Crate training is a great thing. I know a lot of people have this idea that the puppy thinks of it as a prison and hates it. It's actually the opposite, well it is with my puppy anyway. She cryed for the first two nights when she was first put into her crate, but after that she settled down and within a week she knew that her crate was her safe spot. If she was tired or the house was noisy she'd go to her crate. If you give her something tasty she'll also run to her crate with it. When we are getting ready to go to bed, she's knows it's time and will trot away in herself. It's lot like you've to shove them in there every night :) She also goes in it if I'm out during the day for a few hours. That way she can't do any damage to the house and more importantly can't harm herself!

Your puppy is gorgeous, even though I'm not a supporter of the whole mix breeding two cute dogs, slapping a makey uppy name on it like Cavachon and charging a few hundred. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

+1 for the crate training..onlything is the other dog's bed has to be out of sight before I lock him in for the night...the 2 pee-calls during the night are a pain though..although I reckon I can cut it down to one around 3am or so hopefully soon enough :)

Advertisement