Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent telescope for a beginner?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I suppose you could do a lot worse, however I Googled the Zennox name and the products were rated as poor in all the articles I read. One thing is for sure there is no way they are worth the supposed original selling price.

My suggestion, if you are buying for a complete beginner a decent pair of binoculars is the best start, along with the Phillip's Stargazing with Binoculars book, its a great intro to the hobby.

If you have your heart set on a beginners telescope. Celestron, Skywatcher and Orion are good manufactures to look out for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You get what you pay for in this circumstance and most of these lower end scopes are called "junk scopes". Mount is flimsey, optics terrible, etc. Even viewing the moon is difficult. They are then used once, put in the attic and years later thrown out as junk as the person thinks all scopes a waste after their previous experience.

If you are a novice, the best thing to do is to learn the sky first of all. Get a good pair of binoculors and track down some of the brighter objects on the sky. A good pair should not set you back as much and can be used for other hobbies also. Then if you really want to get a scope save up and spend a decent amount of money on getting a good one.

Hope this helps

dbran

Advertisement