Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Access/Future Trends in Profession

Options
  • 28-05-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks, just been talking to a friend who is considering a return to university to study dentistry as a mature student and we've been discussing some of the future trends in the profession. I'm involved in another area of the health sector and have heard that the UK have given the go-ahead for direct access to dental hygienists/therapists. Would I be right in imagining that such a system would enable hygienists and therapists to open up their own practice without needing a dentist? If so, I'd imagine it would lead to some serious competition in the dental health sector for the basic services like screening, scaling and polishing.

Do any of those involved in the dental profession on this thread believe that we are heading for direct access in Ireland and, if so, do you have any opinions on what the implications might be for overall dental health in the country, the practice of dentistry and employment prospects into the future?

I'm of the opinion that competition would inevitably lead to lower prices for the basic preventative treatments and better access through extended opening hours, etc. I feel that people might then be more encouraged to attend a dental professional more often and that the overall dental health of the population would benefit. If this is borne out in the UK, then dentists in Ireland would have a hard job arguing against direct access here and with better oral hygiene in the medium to long term, there would even be less restorative work to go about. So is it a good time to be embarking on a 5 year degree in dentistry when much of the growth will be in the area of dental hygiene (2 year course)?

I'd be really interested in hearing what anyone else has to say and what your vision of the future of dentistry is. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I dont think hygienists compete with dentist. Doing hygiene is a bit of a waste of a dentists training TBH, although many like to do their own hygiene (myself included cause I am OCD). Dentists should be carrying out examinations and operative dentistry.

Dentistry is getting more complex and patients expectations are ever increasing. The fact is that there is a greater need for dental work despite the reduction in decay. This is because people save teeth rather than having them extracted. We are also seing a surge in tooth wear, acid erosion, need for orthodontics, implant therapy, periodontal treatment, root canal treatment.

I don't know if direct access will come in here, its a medicolegal nightmare and the costs will increase if anything as hygienists set up their own practices and have to pay all the expenses that dentists have to, there is a economy of scale to a hygienist operating in a existing clinic. People can already access dental care 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm I don't think there is much more access necessary. The only area of dentistry poorly served is the HSE service and special care dentistry. People have almost endless choice for private care. The UK system is different in that a lot of treatment is subsidised by the NHS, the economics are totally different.

The hygiene game is difficult at the moment, a lot of hygienists are finding it difficult to get hours. Dentistry is a more secure bet so long as your friend has aptitude. A good dentist will always do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I suspect that Ireland will be several years behind any developments in the Dental Profession in the UK.

Advertisement