Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheds: Felt Lining & Torch-On Felt

• 28-05-2013 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Is it worth getting felt lining and/or torch on felt, or are they something shed builders add on for a few extra quid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

If its an existing shed, the torch on felt would last longer but not pretty on the eye and have to be painted with aluminium paint, the felt lining with coarse sand like finish, tends to be lighter and more prone to tearing in strong winds.
    Imo to get the best life out of a garden shed if it was not to big would be to screw sheets of box clad or tile effect sheeting onto the roof.Long lasting and maintainance free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

If its an existing shed, the torch on felt would last longer but not pretty on the eye and have to be painted with aluminium paint, the felt lining with coarse sand like finish, tends to be lighter and more prone to tearing in strong winds.
    Imo to get the best life out of a garden shed if it was not to big would be to screw sheets of box clad or tile effect sheeting onto the roof.Long lasting and maintainance free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

New shed, which is why I'm asking if it's worth the cost. Why does it need to be painted?

By lining I mean on the interior.

I've seen companies offering the sheeting but I think it looks awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rovoagho wrote: »
    New shed, which is why I'm asking if it's worth the cost. Why does it need to be painted?

By lining I mean on the interior.

I've seen companies offering the sheeting but I think it looks awful.

Silver or grey alu roof paint.

To reflect the suns heat back off it,and to prevent from possibly melting the tar/sticky surface underneath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Looks like no-one around here has torch on felt then, I've never seen a grey shed roof!

I'm not seeing a lot of people flocking to validate these options. For the bones of €100 extra on a shed I'd want to see people singing their praises.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Looks like no-one around here has torch on felt then, I've never seen a grey shed roof!

I'm not seeing a lot of people flocking to validate these options. For the bones of €100 extra on a shed I'd want to see people singing their praises.

Just get some non drip roof cladding on the shed,as its roof.

Will last longer than the shed itself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Personally, I prefer the torch-on, it is harder wearing and less likely to lift in an exposed area.

The Lined walls, I recommend if you have electrical stuff in the shed, dryer, washing machine etc.
    Timber absorbs moisture, and it rains here sometimes, most people stick the shed in a corner, so can't apply water repellent, to the back or side
    Timber gets damp, comes into contact with electricity, and bang.....

Well worth the extra few quid, if you want it to last.

Advertisement