Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Claim Question

Options
  • 28-05-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hope Im posting in correct forum. Looking for some advice. Travelling to work the other day. Was on M50 and an open bed truck that was beside me began to lose objects from the back of the truck, one of which hit my car and caused damage. Came straight off the truck and hit side of my car. Partner was in the car with me and got Reg. Jestured to other driver to pull off at next exit but he ignored me and kept driving. Because I was on M50 didn’t feel it was safest place to stop so just continued to nearest police station and reported incident to guard. Lovely guard got straight back to me and foreman for company in question which own the trucks has been in contact. He asked me to get a quote (hasn’t said they’ll pay just to get quote), so went to garage on Friday and got one. Its from main dealership and expensive BUT my cars relatively new, and its where I get my car serviced and convenient to me. Rang contact in company on Friday, he wasn’t happy with quote said its too expensive and his boss would never agree to it. He wanted me to go to a panel beater and get another quote which I said I wasn’t happy about. To go to a random panel beater because its cheaper for them. I left the quote with him and agree’d that I was willing to go to another garage to get a quote like a recognized repair center of his choosing but that I still may decide that I want my car fixed through the dealer. Am I being unreasonable in this? Also contacted both the guards and him the day after the incident to make them aware that objects were still on M50.

I also asked him to get back to me as soon as possible and let me know where the company would like me to bring car (i.e. a repair center). Havent heard from him yet. Impression I get from him is that he thinks Im pulling a fast one or being unfair in insisting I go to a dealership (Im not, just want car repaired to previous condition). If I havent heard from him by tomorrow, think Im just going to ring and request full insurance details and deal with them. Can I do this because tbh I just don’t need the hassle to be chasing someone to try and get my car fixed. I informed my own insurance straight away of incident so last and obviously least attractive option is to claim from them and they pursue other insurance for claim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Its the norm to get a few quotes before a repair job is agreed. Its also wise to make sure you're getting like for like quotes, for example if they are repairing or replacing various parts. And also if parts are to be replaced if they are being replaced with original or motor factor parts.

Generally speaking if someone else is paying for the repairs they can get it repaired where they want, within reason. Make sure the garage that does repair the car is SIMI approved and adheres to the EPA standards. In my experience people sky away from main dealers because they can charge upwards of €80 an hour, whereas a perfectly good authorised repairer can be around €30 an hour upwards. So you can understand their fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OrionA

Thanks for reply Hades. Ive no problem going to a decent repair center per se, once Im happy with their qualifications and can get some recommendations on them. Ive never (thankfully) had to get a car repaired before and I just want it fixed properly. The foremans response when I told him the quote was he thought it would only cost a 1/5 of what I was quoted. But tbh I cant see even taking it being a main dealership into account how any half decent place could fix it for a 5th of the quote not that Id have a lot of knowledge abt this. Also if I decide I want it done in the dealership is that not my right and when I contact him tomorrow if we still cant agree on anything can I just bypass him and go through the companys insurance. Honestly sick of the whole thing now, causing so much hassle, and Im the one doing all the running around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

OrionA wrote: »
    Thanks for reply Hades. Ive no problem going to a decent repair center per se, once Im happy with their qualifications and can get some recommendations on them. Ive never (thankfully) had to get a car repaired before and I just want it fixed properly. The foremans response when I told him the quote was he thought it would only cost a 1/5 of what I was quoted. But tbh I cant see even taking it being a main dealership into account how any half decent place could fix it for a 5th of the quote not that Id have a lot of knowledge abt this. Also if I decide I want it done in the dealership is that not my right and when I contact him tomorrow if we still cant agree on anything can I just bypass him and go through the companys insurance. Honestly sick of the whole thing now, causing so much hassle, and Im the one doing all the running around!

I think you have been resonably with the other party thus far but it is not your right to get it repaired where you want.

It is your right to have it done by a reputable repair centre and to have the car in same condition as before the accident. Dealerships charge an arm and a leg for something they often outsource to a repair centre in many case.

I would get in touch with your insurer again and ask them to have their repair centre to give a quote. generally every insurer will have repair centres around the country which they do business with. Get your car seen by local one of these.

My last accident where I got hit buy other party, I rang my insurer, politely told them need my car asap, I arrived to drop into their repair centre where they had a rental car waiting for me to drive off in. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

If you want the easist, hassle free route - go through your insurance and then let them persue the other person.

It's not your fault so you are entitled to go wherever you want to get it repaired - you didn't ask for the car to be damaged.

Sounds like you could be running around chasing this guy for weeks.

You are entitled to his insurance details as is he so another route is to get this information and go direct to his insurer. If he refuses, I would contact Gardai and advise them he is refusing and that you would like them to request proof of insurance.

actually just re reading it - his vehicle insurer probably won't have anything to with it as it was debris from the truck not the truck itself that hit you.

I'd go the route of leaving it to your own insurer and let them try and recover the money themselves.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replys much appreciated. When I spoke on the phone to him the other day his response was "we'll find you a panel beater to get it fixed, someone decent" and my straight reaction was no thank you. Im not going to some panel beater just because they want it done cheaply. I did agree to go and get a quote in a repair center of their choosing but that I agree'd on the center if that makes sense but that if the quote was comparable to what I had gotten then I would choose the dealership. I think Im just going to ring tomorrow and get insurance details and go through them. Chris85/jinkybhoy I only want to go through my own insurance as a last resort. Why should I possibly affect my NCB if I can get it resolved to other parties insurance first. And I have an excess on my policy that I would have to pay if claim off it

jinkybhoy it wasnt debris but an actual large object that should have been tied down or secured. Having spoken to the guard & my insurance, it seems that for insurance purposes the object is seen as part of the truck if that makes sense so from a legal standpoint its seen as his truck colliding with mine or at least thats the way I understand it. If need be I will claim through my insurance but only as a last resort

Chris85/jinkybhoy I only want to go through my own insurance as a last resort. Why should I possibly affect my NCB if I can get it resolved to other parties insurance first. And I have an excess on my policy that I would have to pay if claim off it

True but the excess will be returned if/when they recover the money and depending on your renewal date, you might not even notice that your bonus is reduced.

This option is by far the simplest and most hassle free for you and in my opinion will make your life a helluva lot easier.

If you do manage to get his insurance details, you then have to ring them constantly and chase them and hassle them etc - Your insurer does that for you.

I'm an Insurance Broker for 14 years and I've dealt with a lot of claims:) Very time consuming and even in a straight forward case can drag on and be very frustrating.

jinkybhoy it wasnt debris but an actual large object that should have been tied down or secured. Having spoken to the guard & my insurance, it seems that for insurance purposes the object is seen as part of the truck if that makes sense so from a legal standpoint its seen as his truck colliding with mine or at least thats the way I understand it. If need be I will claim through my insurance but only as a last resort

not sure on that to be honest - one insurer may cover the vehicle itself and another insurer covers the haulage/cargo side of it - not sure if insurer would view debris that isn't part of the vehicle as part of the vehicle.

Thanks again jinkybhoy I really appreciate the replys. Just one more question if you dont mind. The fact that it was an object that hit my car rather than debris, will this make a differance to my claim. As I said guard and my insurance gave me the impression that other driver/company would be liable. Thanks again

Sorry saw yopu just answered :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again jinkybhoy I really appreciate the replys. Just one more question if you dont mind. The fact that it was an object that hit my car rather than debris, will this make a differance to my claim. As I said guard and my insurance gave me the impression that other driver/company would be liable. Thanks again

Sorry saw yopu just answered :)

it may well be but it complicates it slightly again which may see you arguing with 2 different insurers to who is in the wrong - more delays for you as they try and decide who will pay!!!

when's ur insurance renewal? do you have bonus protection? who are you insured with?

Insured with Aviva, due to be renewed in August. Full NCB fully protected (thankfully but means Im stuck with same insurer which is what I meant abt affecting my NCB) but 250e excess on policy which is the bit getting my goat lol that Ill have to feckin stump up

Insured with Aviva, due to be renewed in August. Full NCB fully protected (thankfully but means Im stuck with same insurer which is what I meant abt affecting my NCB) but 250e excess on policy which is the bit getting my goat lol that Ill have to feckin stump up

it's a bit close to renewal alright but the ncb protection helps so your premium shouldn't go up too much (unfortunately aviva have taken advantage of the gender equality and upped their rates)

if the claim is still open at renewal you would have to stay with them but even if you went directly through other insurer, you will still need to disclose that there was an accident and it's ongoing so most insurers would refuse anyway ( I know you could not tell them but strictly speaking you would need to)

look at it this way - 250 for an easy life and getting your car repaired promptly and not been stuck on the phone getting frustrated....

Thanks again have a much clearer idea of where I stand. So decided to just ring contact there. He apparently lost my number hence why he hadnt been in tough :rolleyes:. Anywhoos hes selected a garage who is actually a dealership for my model of car but outsource to a repair center so Ive agreed to bring car there for quote. He thinks it will be cheaper and Im happy because it would be done under a dealership. So we'll see where we go from here. He says depending on quote that they may have to go through insurance so may be back at square one anyway if insurance dont believe their liable

give us an update on how you get on mate - good luck

Advertisement