Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sling catching on bipod

Options
  • 28-05-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Im after buying a new sling. An expensive one at that. The problem is I cant open or close the left bipod leg because the sling-swivel-head (whatever you call it) is getting in the way.

Any ideas what to do?

Its a harris bipod.

Was going to file the sling head down but it would need to take too much of the head and she'll never hold the screw properly then.

On a side note Im in the market for a new bipod because this ones a 13-20 (or something like that) Im after something around 8-15 or something. So thats an option but the new bipod wont be till after summer. And I kinda need this now.

Its a tikka tactical. Can you get an attachment that lets you connect the strap onto the side. of the rifle and not under the belly like it currently is.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Asporadic wrote: »
    Im after buying a new sling. An expensive one at that. The problem is I cant open or close the left bipod leg because the sling-swivel-head (whatever you call it) is getting in the way.

Any ideas what to do?

Its a harris bipod.

Was going to file the sling head down but it would need to take too much of the head and she'll never hold the screw properly then.

On a side note Im in the market for a new bipod because this ones a 13-20 (or something like that) Im after something around 8-15 or something. So thats an option but the new bipod wont be till after summer. And I kinda need this now.

Its a tikka tactical. Can you get an attachment that lets you connect the strap onto the side. of the rifle and not under the belly like it currently is.?

Have the same problem with my sling and my bipod. mine scratched paint off the leg and opens with a bit of a pull as it scrapes past but its not the hardest thing to open.

you could try changing the sling swivels for a skinnier piece or an add on piece.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Uncle-Mikes-QD-Super-Sling-Swivels-1-For-Rifle-Airgun-Air-Rifle-1311-2-/251275488888?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3a812fae78#ht_3165wt_945

A set like this would fix the problem for me since there´s a bit of clearance between where the sling attaches and where the screw is. The screw isn´t as long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I attach my slings to the stud at the back of the bipod which is beside the tension adjustment screw. My bipods are the harris swivel type.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Asporadic

zeissman wrote: »
    I attach my slings to the stud at the back of the bipod which is beside the tension adjustment screw. My bipods are the harris swivel type.

Im trying to think now which stud that would be your talking about. I cant wait to get home now and see have I missed a glaringly obvious bipod stood somewhere along the line. My current setup would look like this

zmgppt.jpg

And Garv. I wish all that was happening was a bit of paint loss. The leg wont budge past the strap at all :eek: And thanks for the link BTW... I might invest in one of them if all else fails. Its a very wide strap, so I'll have to get the missus to pull a macgyver on it with the sewing machine before it would fit unto something that small.

Lastly if anyone can recommend a good bipod that has plenty of clearance Id be much obliged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Im not familar with the non swivel type harris bipods so they may not have the stud.
    You could sell your bipod and buy the swivel model.
    Another option would be to fit another stud to the stock for the sling.

You could also do a bit of DIY and add a piece between the sling and the stud.

If you had a piece of metal with 2 holes in it, one piece through the swivel on the sling and then inbewteen the catch on the bi-pod and secure it with a small nut and bolt. You could use a piece of chain too the same way.
    All you'd need is a short piece to give just enough clearance for the leg to swing past it.

Does the tactical not have a sling mount on the side.. All the pictures I saw of them did.

tactical.gif

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »

Does the tactical not have a sling mount on the side.. All the pictures I saw of them did.

No it doesnt have a mount on the side. Heres a close up close up pic of a tac

tikka%20T3%20Tactical,%20cropped.jpg

Im just thinking now, the side mount on your pic is exactly where that screw is on this pic. There must be some kind of after-market accessory that screws in there. I think some googling is in order... :)

Asporadic wrote: »
    No it doesnt have a mount on the side. Heres a close up close up pic of a tac

tikka%20T3%20Tactical,%20cropped.jpg

Im just thinking now, the side mount on your pic is exactly where that screw is on this pic. There must be some kind of after-market accessory that screws in there. I think some googling is in order... :)

Yeah They come out on the back of the stock and on the forend for people who want a sling on the side.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190531/grovtec-sling-swivel-stud-pack-1-8-machine-screw-steel-package-of-12

Something like that if you found out what size the threads are

Yeh according to this guy its 5 mils:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78683087

Not sure what about that brass fitting he was talking about, if its a factory thing or will I have to buy them too. When I get home tonight I'll take one of the screws out of the rifle and see what the story is. But sure if it takes a regular screw cant see why you couldnt just get a screw in swivel like that one you linked from midway.

BTW... think I'll buy those midway swivels when I get home. That will save all the bother with messing with new heads for the sling and then having to cut it to size and everything. And besides, I think the rifle would probably sit better on your back if the sling is secured on from the side rather then underneath the bipod.

Advertisement