Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do garda checkpoints acutally exist anymore ?

• 28-05-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Meself an the brother had this conversation the other day . Is there a cut back on check points ? I'm driving 9 years and I can safely say I've come across 10 mabye 11 check points on the road in that time and I used to do around 7k miles a year . The same with my brother . Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

i usually see about 4 a year living in Dublin City

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

I don't know about other parts of the country but I'm Newport, Tipperary there are often checkpoints there. I think they do them every month there.

I've not seen many in others spots in the last few years though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Piriz wrote: »
    i usually see about 4 a year living in Dublin City

4 a year isn't a whole lot for dub city either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There was one beside where I live last week. They are still out there.

But, I guess if you consider the number of Gardai, the number of roads, the number of journeys you take, the chances of hitting a checkpoint are very slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

In fairness 7K is nothing in driving terms, it depends on your location i think as to your probability of meeting a check point.
    I do over 20k a year and have not seen a checkpoint in 2.5 years.

• Advertisement

I used to travel daily to Sligo on the n4 . There was a period of around 2 mabye 3 years where I never seen or came across a checkpoint .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

A Guard stopped me at a check-point a few weeks back asking where I was cycling from & to and whether I'd seen a particular vehicle whilst on that route. That Guard knew me so don't know if that's why he asked me to stop or if they ask all cyclists when looking for particulars whilst holding check-points.

Hope they found who they were looking for :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    A Guard stopped me at a check-point a few weeks back asking where I was cycling from & to and whether I'd seen a particular vehicle whilst on that route. That Guard knew me so don't know if that's why he asked me to stop or if they ask all cyclists when looking for particulars whilst holding check-points.

Hope they found who they were looking for :)

Do the Garda have any power when it comes to cyclists ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Depends on the amount of driving you do and where you are. The Guards aren't going to have a 24hr check point. They'll do it for an hour tops so if you're only doing 7k a year your chances of running into one are very slim. I do about 60k a year and I've come across 7-8 so far this year.

Depends on the amount of driving you do and where you are. The Guards aren't going to have a 24hr check point. They'll do it for an hour tops so if you're only doing 7k a year your chances of running into one are very slim. I do about 60k a year and I've come across 7-8 so far this year.
    I met a guy last week at work who hasn't taxed his car in over a year and a half and he reckons he does huge mileage every year .60k plus . I told him the Garda would lift his car if caught and he just laughed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Colash wrote: »
    Do the Garda have any power when it comes to cyclists ?

I'd like to imagine so:eek:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'd like to imagine so:eek:
    I think we were all secretly hoping the penny would have dropped and that comment deleted by now. Oh, well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

This post has been deleted.

Maybe the Gardai based in controversial areas are too busy dealing with the controversy to be able to instigate check points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

they do exist, but not nearly as many as there used to be. blame a chronic lack of transport and also garda numbers are down so there isn't as much time to stand out and do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

There was a lot of checkpoints around Cork the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Meself an the brother had this conversation the other day . Is there a cut back on check points ? I'm driving 9 years and I can safely say I've come across 10 mabye 11 check points on the road in that time and I used to do around 7k miles a year . The same with my brother . Anyone else notice this?

i think alan shatter has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

The checkpoints are not anywhere near as frequent as they used to be despite the rubbish talk you will hear from the Garda Superintendents on TV and radio.

However, you will find them out on the road just before the monthly District Court dates, all in the interests of road safety of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

They're always on Pembroke street I think it's called. Outside Louis copeland and matt the threshers.

Wasn't this the place where shatter was caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Neeson wrote: »
    They're always on Pembroke street I think it's called. Outside Louis copeland and matt the threshers.

or wasnt caught. depends on your point of view

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I live beside the canal in Dublin and you cant really have a garda checkpoint when the traffic is barely moving at 8pm in the evening.

Neither of my parents have gotten breathalyzed in 10 years and my dad drives a van they just let him through check points without checking anything

Neeson wrote: »

Sheeeesh…. The Shatter story has been rewritten. Some people maintain that the Yanks never landed on the moon and now we know that Alan never refused to blow into the breathalyser thingy.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Stop talking about Alan Shatter.

Stop talking about Alan Shatter.

Don't mention the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.facebook.com/FreeChatDublin?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

That will give you an idea of how many checkpoints there does be, According to that they are regular enough

Advertisement