Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

after antibiotics to restore good bacteria?

• 28-05-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

My elderly dog is about to finish his course of anti-biotics today.

When anyone in my family finishes antibiotics, we always take probiotics to restore the good bacteria that has been killed off by the antibiotics.

Is there something I can give my dog to restore the balance of bacteria in his gut? Anyone know about Water Kefir - could I give him some of that probiotic to drink?!? Would probiotic yougourt do the job? (Both the options we use for us humans) This poor old chap needs all the help he can get!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our vet suggested probiotic yoghurt after a course of antibiotics. One of our cats loves to eat yoghurt from a spoon or carton, the other cat won't eat it so we sprinkle a live probiotic capsule over his food when he's had antibiotics. With the capsules we get the ones you store in the fridge. I think the pet dose is the same as the adult dose. We just give him 1 capsule sprinkled into his food, the stinkier the food the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I would second the probiotoc yogurt - I give it to my dogs every once in a while and they love it. a nice dollop on his dinner every day for a week or so should help.

You can also buy probiotic paste from the vet, it was prescribed to Henry when he was a pup and had a very upset tummy, but it's a bit pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Get doggy pro biotics as they also contain a dog strain of good bacteria "faceum" which dogs need. Human probiotics/yogurt etc - although helpful - is not enough. I use Jarrow Pet Dophilus which I get online from iherb.com. They are excellent. The kefir would be of some help too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

maggiepip wrote: »
    Get doggy pro biotics as they also contain a dog strain of good bacteria "faceum" which dogs need. Human probiotics/yogurt etc - although helpful - is not enough. I use Jarrow Pet Dophilus which I get online from iherb.com. They are excellent. The kefir would be of some help too though.

Do you think Maggiepip there is no point then in giving him the yogurt? Ive been giving him some on his food which he likes, thinking it would be good/beneficial. Also for the calcium. (Hes only given home cooked food - rice, chicken, potatos, minced beef) Pointless do you think? Can I mix the Kefir into his food as a moistener do you think? Will have a look at iherb.com
    Our vet suggested probiotic yoghurt after a course of antibiotics. One of our cats loves to eat yoghurt from a spoon or carton, the other cat won't eat it so we sprinkle a live probiotic capsule over his food when he's had antibiotics. With the capsules we get the ones you store in the fridge. I think the pet dose is the same as the adult dose. We just give him 1 capsule sprinkled into his food, the stinkier the food the better.

Where do you get this live probiotic capsule Pumkinseeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Ah no the yogurt would still be good so keep giving him that. I would however strongly recommend the pro biotics I mentioned as they really are good. Actuall not all doggy pro biotics have the strain faceum in them (sorry should have mentioned that) and its very important that they do contain faceum - the pet dophilus does. They are only about 10 dollars and a postage fee of I think 3.50 will get them to you in about 10 days but the courier option will deliver them within 3 days for a fee of 12.50 (thats all dollars now so not too bad)

My OH drinks kefir and although I know its v good for dogs Ive never actually given it to my dogs...Id imagine a couple of desert spoons in his food, like the yogurt would be grand though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

aonb wrote: »
    Do you think Maggiepip there is no point then in giving him the yogurt? Ive been giving him some on his food which he likes, thinking it would be good/beneficial. Also for the calcium. (Hes only given home cooked food - rice, chicken, potatos, minced beef) Pointless do you think? Can I mix the Kefir into his food as a moistener do you think? Will have a look at iherb.com

Where do you get this live probiotic capsule Pumkinseeds?
    I got them in Holland and Barrett but you'd get them in any health food shop. They should be with on a shelf with the rest of the probiotics but you just store them in the fridge once opened to keep the live probiotics alive. I got a big jar for about a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Hi, if any of my dogs have been on antibiotics they always get an injection of vit b12 and iron afterwards. Also probiotic yogurt (greek style etc) seems to work for me. I thinks its more important to get your dogs blood count back to normal to make him feel good in himself again.

Advertisement