Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato Timing Belt

Options
  • 28-05-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Folks

I believe my 08 Ducato with 50kms needs the timing belt replaced.

Anybody know if Fiat recommend this at this stage to be ultra safe or is there a genuine risk of it giving up the ghost???

Also any garages in Dublin to be recommended and any idea of the cost???

Thanks

H

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

here2surf wrote: »
    Folks

I believe my 08 Ducato with 50kms needs the timing belt replaced.

Anybody know if Fiat recommend this at this stage to be ultra safe or is there a genuine risk of it giving up the ghost???

Also any garages in Dublin to be recommended and any idea of the cost???

Thanks

H

re: cost

Depends on engine, air conditioning etc. Timing kit are about 70euro trade and I'd say 1-3 hours labour depending on their familiarity with it. My local guy charges €100 + kit as he's done a few.

Timing belt is an order of magnitude cheaper and less stressful than a new engine, so why hypothesize about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

70 to the trade?? Must be cheaper than the 2005 style one...

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    70 to the trade?? Must be cheaper than the 2005 style one...

The kit is the same? http://www.gatesautocat.com/article/K015592XS
    78 is what the local guy says he pays thats minus water pump though. Its a good deal less than I'd pay even thought the motor factor owner lives next door.

paddyp wrote: »
    The kit is the same? http://www.gatesautocat.com/article/K015592XS
    78 is what the local guy says he pays thats minus water pump though. Its a good deal less than I'd pay even thought the motor factor owner lives next door.

That price is for a belt on its own. I always fit kits, with the tensioner s and idlers. That costs about 180. In Dayco, which are OEM to Fiat. And about 2 hrs labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

That price is for a belt on its own. I always fit kits, with the tensioner s and idlers. That costs about 180. In Dayco, which are OEM to Fiat. And about 2 hrs labour.

hi aidan,

what would ye charge for changing timing belt kit inc water pump on 2001 2.8 ducato, afaik its the first of the common rail engines,;)

• Advertisement

The belt on its own is about €30.

By the way here2surf if you're very quick theres a new dayco kit for £20 on ebay.co.uk get it delivered with parcelmotel for €3.50. I'll pm you the link.

paddyp wrote: »
    The belt on its own is about €30.

By the way here2surf if you're very quick theres a new dayco kit for £20 on ebay.co.uk get it delivered with parcelmotel for €3.50. I'll pm you the link.

Can you tell me where to buy kits at that price, with belt and tensioners, in Gates or Dayco, as the different motor factors I deal with quoted me the price I put up above. At that price I'd buy them by the half dozen.

hi aidan,

what would ye charge for changing timing belt kit inc water pump on 2001 2.8 ducato, afaik its the first of the common rail engines,;)

Jtd or idTD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I've used THIS SUPPLIER for a few big ticket items (DMF and clutch for a Volvo and also timing belt and water pump for Ford Galaxy).

Very good service with quick delivery and a no quibble returns policy if the order is wrong, damaged or no longer required when it arrives.

• Advertisement

Can you tell me where to buy kits at that price, with belt and tensioners, in Gates or Dayco, as the different motor factors I deal with quoted me the price I put up above. At that price I'd buy them by the half dozen.

The £20 is a once off someone bought and never fitted. I just set notifications on ebay for service parts, parts I'll need in the future and set a price limit of a 1/4 of the new price. They always show up eventually and you get an email to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

Jtd or idTD?

hi aidan,

its Jtd

whats difference between Jtd and idTD ?

@paddy, so when you said the local guy , I assumed you had a supplier well, locally. For sure stuff can be cheap on the 'Bay, but for me that's no good, if someone rings today to get a belt done tomorrow.

@rambler, different timing belt, and the JTD is the common rail engine, the idTD is the last of the "old style" Fiats. Great engine though..

Sorry meant to add, 2 hrs labour plus the timing belt kit, assuming everything else is ok, nothing seized or damaged etc.

:pac: hmmm...chain :pac::P

:pac: hmmm...chain :pac::P

Show off, just cos yours only needs changing once in a millennium ! Lol

Advertisement