Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions

Options
  • 28-05-2013 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

I have worked 38 years and never taken out a pension.I was asked to years ago.The risk of companies raiding them and returns considering my low wages it was not worthwhile.
    I am confused however when I look back at the 70's and 80's.
    The unemployment was high 14%, emigration was high .The birth rate was high .
    The immigration was low.
    There was not all this clap trap from government about not enough young workers to support those on a pension.You must take out a private pension as you will not be able to support yourself.
    The immigration level now is high birth rates high .The numbers of PPS number increase .I think the policy of getting young people to work in Ireland to support pensions is not working !! Those that got PPS numbers in 2006 only 37% have worked at some stage .The rise in unmarried mothers 26.6 2011.The long term unemployment figures are rising too, are we truly becoming a welfare state. !
    I welcome your replies .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Companies raiding your pension? How can they do that? I've taken one out anyway (I've only been working a few years), I think it's worthwhile. It's not a massive hit in my wages every month at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mikehaw

What kind of reply are you expecting?

Your post is just a big rant, at what I'm not sure. Is it single mothers, young people, government, old people, raiding corporations?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mikehaw wrote: »
    What kind of reply are you expecting?

Your post is just a big rant, at what I'm not sure. Is it single mothers, young people, government, old people, raiding corporations?

+1 It's finally dawned on you that you made a mistake in not taking out a pension and now you're desperately looking around for someone to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I believe your pension should be determined by what you put into the pension pot and not simply getting x amount of PRSI credits. In Germany if you work hard a earn a high wage you get a larger pension than the person making €800 a month. That is what I believe is fair. It rewards the person how has worked hard and gone to college rather than spending their life on welfare.

Ireland doesnt need a few cuts to social welfare. It needs a total overhaul. There is little incentive for low income people to work rather than be on the dole. Germany overhauled their welfare system and their economy is excellent. Britain and Sweden are also changing their welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really relevant to this forum. If you wish to rant or debate, there are fora better suited as per the forum charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement