Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roberto Martinez Leaves Wigan.

• 28-05-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭

gone, apparently.

all over my Twitter feed.

no surprise whatsoever.

let's see where the man Dave Whelan dubs...
    "for me, the best manager in Europe".

goes next.

Everton?
    Malaga?
    elsewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

2/5 to take over at Everton now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was having a meeting with Dave Whelan at 1pm so could very well be gone.

Wouldnt be surprised if he came back to the EPL with Everton, wonder what the Everton fans make of it, Liverpool could be back on top on Merseyside very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

done.
    The Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martínez has informed chairman Dave Whelan of his intention to leave the newly-relegated club.

Martínez, who guided the club to FA Cup glory, had been under contract at the DW Stadium until 2014, but Whelan has now confirmed the Spaniard's decision to leave.

Full story to follow …

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/28/roberto-martinez-to-leave-wigan?CMP=twt_gu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'd say Everton but there could be a chance of Malaga. Hope he does well, seems like a good lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I dont like seeing managers jump a leaking..canoe, considering he was thought of so highly there. I'm sure it will be a great career choice for Martinez though quite possibly everton but other clubs might appear more appealing to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Hope he does well, seems like a good lad

Same here. Best of luck to him where ever he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Whelan on Martinez:
    "He feels he’s not the man to lead us into the Premier League. I’ve got to accept what he feels."

patronising bullshít.

he wanted to go to a bigger club, Dave.

I dont like seeing managers jump a leaking..canoe, considering he was thought of so highly there. I'm sure it will be a great career choice for Martinez though quite possibly everton but other clubs might appear more appealing to him.

Ah I think he stuck with them long enough, he deserves better than the championship IMO

SlickRic wrote: »
    Whelan on Martinez:

patronising bullshít.

He's an annoying old so and so :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its not Everton I'll east my hat. Though Stoke probably have a bigger budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Right move by Martinez, be a good appointment by Everton if they can convince him they are a big club :D Don't really see him going back to Spain especially Malaga with the financial turmoil they are in at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seems a nice fella, but he's an overrated manager.

Yes, he won the FA Cup and that can't be taken away from him, but Steve Bruce and Paul Jewell brought Wigan to higher finishes in the Premier League.

He has a win percentage of less than 30% but because they play pretty football the media have hyped him up.

If he gets the Everton job he'll do okay, as should any manager given the players at their disposal to be fair, he won't set the world alight, but based on his credentials he doesn't even deserve a shot at that job IMO.

How he must regret not taking the Liverpool job last summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

He doesn't owe them anything and there are opportunities out there simply too good to pass up.

However, I'd be interested to see how he fares at a club without that history as a player, which had many fans really wanting him to succeed. His next job will be high pressure, and probably the first with a fair chunk of fans quite ambivalent about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He should have left Wigan after the miracle escape last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

he deserves better than the championship IMO

Then perhaps he should have kept his club out of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He's off to Everton and bringing McCarthy and Di Santo with him or I'll eat my hat.

Ah I think he stuck with them long enough, he deserves better than the championship IMO

What dictates saying that he stuck with them long enough? The fact that he managed the team for three season and in his fourth season gets relegated, that means he stuck with them long enough?
    Why do you think he deserves better than the championship as a manager when his is the team that got relegated to the championship? Just because he won the fa cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Stuck with them? People seem to forget he's the one who managed them into the relegation scrap every year. God help Everton's defence if he takes over there, his big, big weak point as a manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

SlickRic wrote: »

patronising bullshít.

What manager doesn't bullsh1t????
    He's hardly gonna tell the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

inmyday wrote: »
    What manager doesn't bullsh1t????
    He's hardly gonna tell the truth.

He's talking about Dave Whelan talking bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

?
    Why do you think he deserves better than the championship as a manager when his is the team that got relegated to the championship? Just because he won the fa cup?
    Why does Dave Moyes deserve a craic at the biggest club in the world??? He couldn't even get Everton into the champs league...
    At least he won a FA cup with a poor team n poor finances.
    Why doesn't he deserve a chance???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Why does Dave Moyes deserve a craic at the biggest club in the world??? He couldn't even get Everton into the champs league...
    At least he won a FA cup with a poor team n poor finances.
    Why doesn't he deserve a chance???

Moyes is leaving Utd already to join Real Madrid??? :eek:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Neil3030 wrote: »

Every season without fail had his biggest players sold and wasn't supported in bringing in replacements of anywhere near a similar quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Every season without fail had his biggest players sold and wasn't supported in bringing in replacements of anywhere near a similar quality.

Exact same situation for Steve Bruce, who finished 14th and 11th.

Martinez came in and they went 16th, 16th, 15th, 18th.

Why does Dave Moyes deserve a craic at the biggest club in the world???

Because he is a feiry red headed scottish warrior, even william wallace would be afraid of him in the dressing room.

He is the second coming!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seems teaching professional players how to make 5 & 10 yard passes in England is enough to gloss over the fact that his players cannot defend to save themselves. He shouldnt be getting anywhere near jobs like Everton or Malaga tbh. Their aspirations require a far better caliber of manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Limited budget at Wigan, had his team playing some nice football at times. It's a pity he couldn't get them playing like that on a regular basis.

I don't think he has a plan b when it comes to tactics.

Wigan winning the FA Cup was great and it's always nice to see a new team lifting trophies.

Seems like a nice guy and the media like him but I don't think he's a particularly brilliant manager. Has seriously rode his luck over the last few years and never built on it for the following season.

I think Stoke would be more of an interesting challenge for him than Everton.

kfallon wrote: »

At least he hasn't relegated us:pac: Bon Voyage to him lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We are normally not able to predict who takes over where and what signings will be made but ever since Moyes got the United job it has seemed destined that Fellaini will follow him there and that Martinez gets the Everton job and brings McCarthy with him.

I await the last three parts to not happen which is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agree that Stoke would be a better move than Everton. Everton might have a superior squad right now, but a lessor budget and both teams don't have the mix of players to implement the style of football he'll want to play. It will be a lot of work at either club to mould the club the way he wants it.

Lower initial expectations and a higher budget make Stoke the more appealing prospect imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Anywhere but Everton really. Taking over from a very popular manager is never an easy challenge. Where does he take Everton that's an improvement on what Moyes achieved? Think there's far more room for disimprovement at that club than than there is to improve, from a results pov anyway. He may make them easier on the eye but meant sweet fe*k all if not meeting fans high enough expectations which Moyes' set with his standout consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me its still about putting yourself in the shop window to get a chance at an even bigger job down the road for Martinez. Taking over from Moyes is the biggest challenge out there because you are following an excellent manager. If he succeeds there then he gets a very big job in the next five years I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He shouldn't touch Stoke with a barge pole, he'd need to ship out 75% of the squad to get them playing his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kfallon wrote: »

Pfft, Real Madrid wish they had 650 million fans :pac:

JPA wrote: »
    He shouldn't touch Stoke with a barge pole, he'd need to ship out 75% of the squad to get them playing his way.

And just 50% at Everton?

• Advertisement

What dictates saying that he stuck with them long enough? The fact that he managed the team for three season and in his fourth season gets relegated, that means he stuck with them long enough?

He might have done well to keep them in it for as long as he did on such a small budget. Wigan dont have much gate revenue week in week out it would seem

Exact same situation for Steve Bruce, who finished 14th and 11th.

Martinez came in and they went 16th, 16th, 15th, 18th.

I like Bruce but i think his style was a bit more pragmatic and robust then Martinez. Paul Jewell done very well with Wigan in his first EPL season for example and he isnt as good as either Bruce or Martinez

And dont forget Bruce didnt too well at Sunderland so you cant really use league position as a gauge. I think Martinez one flaw was the fact he didnt buy a goal machine coupled with woeful defensive errors from his back 4. Look at Benteke for example. Probably the difference between Villa and Wigan this season

The truth about his achievements at Wigan are somewhere in the middle imo.

Cup and a few years in the Premiership on that budget are genuine achievements. But he consistently put out teams that were hapless at the basics of defending and were very easy to beat. I don't think he's going to be a roaring success the rest of his career no matter where he goes next but time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I wonder who will take over at Wigan. Poyet is a possibility but an outside bet is Di Matteo, not sure he will lower himself to the Championship but Wigan would be a good fit for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And just 50% at Everton?

:s Their squads are no way comparable imo. Everton have strong players but plenty of technical ones as well.
    The stoke squad has one criteria, Be Tall.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    :sTheir squads are no way comparable imo. Everton have strong players but plenty of technical ones as well.
    The stoke squad has one criteria, Be Tall.

Everton have a better squad, but he'd need a few new starters imo and it doesn't seem to be a club with the requisite means to acquire them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I wonder who will take over at Wigan. Poyet is a possibility but an outside bet is Di Matteo, not sure he will lower himself to the Championship but Wigan would be a good fit for him.

I'm sure Neil Warnock will be up for another challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Corholio wrote: »
    Stuck with them? People seem to forget he's the one who managed them into the relegation scrap every year. God help Everton's defence if he takes over there, his big, big weak point as a manager.

What do you mean, god helps Evertons defence. Surly not a comparison to Wigan's. Everton have 2 sometimes 3 internationals in defence. they'll be just a strong next year. McCarthy would be a great addition there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Has done very little to warrant the hype around him, however that is not his fault but a fault of the English media. Fully expecting Everton to finish around midtable if he takes over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay, they way I look at this is, it's a very very poor move for Everton if it goes ahead. Yeah, his club won a cup but over the season they got relegated.......
    For him, fair play, bigger money, bigger club, not in the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    What do you mean, god helps Evertons defence. Surly not a comparison to Wigan's. Everton have 2 sometimes 3 internationals in defence. they'll be just a strong next year. McCarthy would be a great addition there

2 of the mainstays of Wigan's defence (Figueroa and Alcaraz) are internationals and they are also both pretty good players. Bad organisation of a defense will mean a bad defense, however good the defenders are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agree that Stoke would be a better move than Everton. Everton might have a superior squad right now, but a lessor budget and both teams don't have the mix of players to implement the style of football he'll want to play. It will be a lot of work at either club to mould the club the way he wants it.

Lower initial expectations and a higher budget make Stoke the more appealing prospect imo.

Disagree with this.

Pulis has used a limited budget at Stoke terribly with some horrendous buys. There is a stink of mediocrity of that team and they were most likely going to be involved in a relegation battle next year. They have stagnated terribly and without good investment and a much better squad, they will be my tip for the drop next year.

Everton have a pretty strong starting lineup, that needs a bit of reinforcement. With potential investment on the horizon where budgets might be able to expand I think Everton is 100 times more appealing then Stoke.

However he could REALLY show good he is by going into that ****hole and deploying some nice football so that I'm not praying for Stokes relegation every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Martinez had an ever decreasing budget since he took over so I don't think he is to blame for where they inevitably finished up. Having the third lowest wage bill will most likely get you relegated.

Add McCarthy to the midfield and Everton have a pretty good passing side. They probably scored one of the best passing goals of the season against West Ham.

ixIT0apGRjqRu.gif

There was also 4 passes starting in defence before the gif starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stoke are built on defence. Martinez doesn't seem to value defence, much. It would be a match made in hell.

It'd be hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

A central midfield 3 of Fellani, Gibson and McCarthy (if they signed him) would be a very good base for Martinez's style of play.

the a front 3 of Pienaar, Mirallas and Jelavic and you'd be talking about a very good passing side.

With a defence of Coleman, Jags, Heitinga and Baines and you have a solid back 4 with two wingbacks to support the midfield and howard is a solid gk.

Everton wouldn't need much tweaking to play the style Martinez wants. Any pro footballer should be able to play the ball 15-20 yards off either foot comfortably, and that's all that's needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement