Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roberto Martinez Leaves Wigan.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fellaini won't be at Everton next year though.

Evertons only problems in recent times were down to the size of the squad. If he can bring in three or four players using the Fellaini money and use the increased tv money to prop up the wage budget they could do a lot next season. Martinez style will suit a number of the players they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

kippy wrote: »
    Okay, they way I look at this is, it's a very very poor move for Everton if it goes ahead. Yeah, his club won a cup but over the season they got relegated.......
    For him, fair play, bigger money, bigger club, not in the championship.

I agree that it will be a poor move by Everton, even though I'm the Reds supporter. But what gets my wick is that every ex-Man Utd player is getting touted to take over. It would seem that Everton has now become a stepping stone for Man Utd (a team I don't like, just in case you didn't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

mike65 wrote: »
    If its not Everton I'll east my hat. Though Stoke probably have a bigger budget.

Ara give it a west will ya Mike...!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

TheDoc wrote: »

Everton have a pretty strong starting lineup, that needs a bit of reinforcement. With potential investment on the horizon where budgets might be able to expand

ther has been talk of potential ivestment at Everton ever since Kenwight took control of the club , 13 years ago , and still waiting - and what about the new stadium :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

G.K. wrote: »
    2 of the mainstays of Wigan's defence (Figueroa and Alcaraz) are internationals and they are also both pretty good players. Bad organisation of a defense will mean a bad defense, however good the defenders are.

Don't rate Alcaraz at all. Been at fault for a lot of goals over past few seasons. Along with Caldwell, it's a miracle they were staying up past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Struggling massively with Everton this season. 12th position in the table, only 6 points off relegation and 3 points off 16th. They won't go down but it will be very interesting to see if he can turn this around after an excellent season in 2013/2014.

What do the Everton fans on here think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Paully D wrote: »
    Struggling massively with Everton this season. 12th position in the table, only 6 points off relegation and 3 points off 16th. They won't go down but it will be very interesting to see if he can turn this around after an excellent season in 2013/2014.

What do the Everton fans on here think?

Moyes left him a side well drilled at the back and well set up and he benefited from that last season. This season they are leaking goals like all Martinez teams.

A vastly overrated manager and all those Everton fans last season saying they were glad to be rid of Moyes must be laughing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Whatever about the major mistakes that Martinez is responsible for (and I've been very critical of them). I never want to see Everton reduced back to the negative tactical nonsense that Moyes served up. Moyes was a man born to get 10 men behind the ball and watching it week in week out was soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Anybody else think Martinez had left Everton after glancing at the thread title? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Moyes left him a side well drilled at the back and well set up and he benefited from that last season. This season they are leaking goals like all Martinez teams.

A vastly overrated manager and all those Everton fans last season saying they were glad to be rid of Moyes must be laughing now.

Moyes was also a vastly overrated manager. If memory serves me correctly one season Moyes finished a very respectable 7th but followed that up the following season by finishing 17th.

The season Everton finished in the top 4 under his stewardship the followed that up with a 11th or 12th place finish the following season.

Some fans have short memories though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The truth about his achievements at Wigan are somewhere in the middle imo.

Cup and a few years in the Premiership on that budget are genuine achievements. But he consistently put out teams that were hapless at the basics of defending and were very easy to beat. I don't think he's going to be a roaring success the rest of his career no matter where he goes next but time will tell.

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yeah

So 2 Seasons your opinion was wrong last season and Meh this season? lol. gtf.

So 2 Seasons your opinion was wrong last season and Meh this season? lol. gtf.

My opinion will be proven right long term. He can't get a team to do the basics consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Blatter wrote: »
    Anybody else think Martinez had left Everton after glancing at the thread title? :pac:
    Yep! Let's face facts; he's not pulling up any trees there at the moment.

I hope he stays at Everton for years to come

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yeh me to. Liverpool can't even beat a sh1t Everton team. Great isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I think it all stems down to (when he plays) Distin's legs being gone(a lot of goals were his fault when Stones was injured), and Jagielka not being all that fast, in a team that is extremely adventurous. I havn;t seen enough of him to make a definite judgement but it could be possible that Stones isn't as good as he's being hyped up to be.

As regards the attack, a lot more teams are playing deeper lines defensively against them(like they always do against the top 4/5) compared to last year. A lot of Lukaku's goals came when he had space in behind to run into.

Then there's the Europa League and lack of proper squad depth which is obviously taking its toll.

It's still Martinez's fault of course, I just think that's what it mainly boils down to.

Wouldn't be surprised if they done alright next year. Not as good as last season mind, but challenging for Europa places again is possible.

Yeh me to. Liverpool can't even beat a sh1t Everton team. Great isn't it?

Fairly sure Liverpool are going into the final 3rd fighting for honours and Everton are 6 points above relegation.

Two games v Everton are just another two games each season. Games like today's much more important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I would just like to mark this as the moment this thread fell apart.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I would just like to mark this as the moment this thread fell apart.

Dramatic much?

Opposition fan wants underperforming manager to stay. Hardly a shocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

If you watched the match today you've seen 95% of our games this season. Same old same old. It's not that he is unable to see our problems and try to address them, on the contrary, from his interviews it appears like he thinks we're in phenomenal moments and the players just aren't adopting his philosophy properly. His interviews are cringing to watch I can't do it anymore.

The players honestly look like they have no idea what to do when the have the ball. The play is so slow and congested. He keeps bringing back out of form players and dropping players in form. We've been found out. We've been found out since this time last year. This is not just this season although it might look like it from outside. Our preseason was a disaster and the players dont look fit enough. There's no closing down and putting teams under pressure. Fail to prepare prepare to fail.

Kenwright got sold a pup. We'll see if he has the cajones to admit it.

Fairly sure Liverpool are going into the final 3rd fighting for honours and Everton are 6 points above relegation.

Two games v Everton are just another two games each season. Games like today's much more important

Fighting for Honors? Top 4 isn't a trophy. F.A Cup? Meh, possible. Europa? Unlikely.

Fighting for Honors? Top 4 isn't a trophy. F.A Cup? Meh, possible. Europa? Unlikely.

:confused:

FA cup and Europa are trophies. I'd rather still be in them than out

We all know what top 4 brings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why does it always have to be about Liverpool ?

Pretty sure if I was bothered i'd nearly be certain I'd find posts of when Liverpool where knocked out of cups 90% of fans here would have said it was a ''distraction''.

Everton fans may be somewhat uncertain tbf

Everton fans may be somewhat uncertain tbf

Yeh, we don't know what cups are? What are they? Never heard of them. Kind of similar to the premier league to Liverpool fans.

Why does it always have to be about Liverpool ?

No idea why the poster brought them up tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yeah

I am particularly enjoying this season due to the fawning last season and certain Everton fans drooling and talking about how Moyes held them back, ignoring of course the solid base he left behind which good old Roberto has seemingly now destroyed defensively :) just doing what he does.

This was good
    Did anyone see the build-up interviews before the Everton V Arsenal game? Everything Kenwright said about Martinez spoke volumes about Moyes. He's so happy to have a manager playing attractive entertaining football and bringing the club forward. Not once did I hear him say anything positive in regards to the previous regime. It was like he's won the lotto getting rid of Moyes and replaced with Martinez the way he was beaming.

The Fans, Players and now Chairman of Everton are so happy to be rid of Moyes it's insane.

Ha, from the quick search I found one of my own posts from earlier this year, made me smile too
    kryogen wrote:
    Nope, began during his time at Wigan and kept at the same level when he took over at Everton.

I don't blame Everton fans for getting excited, you would hope they would have more sense then to be swept away with "shexy football" but I understand it. The defensive stability built for years there under Moyes will now begin to completely unravel under Martinez (if I am right) and they will start to slide down the table, what makes it worse is they actually spent some money this year and I think they have done alright in the market overall.

ps, any Everton fan who really did think Moyes held them back or didnt appreciate the job he did at that club deserve to suffer now anyway, they are welcome to the man still known in Wales as "El Judas"

None of that matters really

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92448361&postcount=9492

kryogen wrote: »
    I am particularly enjoying this season due to the fawning last season and certain Everton fans drooling and talking about how Moyes held them back, ignoring of course the solid base he left behind which good old Roberto has seemingly now destroyed defensively :) just doing what he does.

I know 3 Everton fans and they all want shot of Martinez.

He's turning Everton into Wigan mark II.

Everton were solid with Moyes, now they are very inconsistent. Add to that their top signing from the summer says he wants out to a bigger club. That was cheeky of him tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wigan with a more talented squad, yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No idea why the poster brought them up tbh.

Seems to be using an attack as a form of defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yeh, we don't know what cups are? What are they? Never heard of them. Kind of similar to the premier league to Liverpool fans.

The bitterness is strong in this blue

kryogen wrote: »
    Wigan with a more talented squad, yep.

Wigan will be lucky not to get relegated again , going through managers - Martinez is doing fine , having a bad run in the league - How is Van Gael going ?
    considering the amount of money spent , bit rich having a go at Martinez , they looked dire yesterday hoofing it up to Fellaini ala Moyes

thebaz wrote: »
    Wigan will be lucky not to get relegated again , going through managers - Martinez is doing fine , having a bad run in the league - How is Van Gael going ?
    considering the amount of money spent , bit rich having a go at Martinez , they looked dire yesterday hoofing it up to Fellaini ala Moyes

Wouldn't bother mate, having a different opinion is apparently 'bitter' when it's against different teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

I know 3 Everton fans and they all want shot of Martinez.

He's turning Everton into Wigan mark II.

Everton were solid with Moyes, now they are very inconsistent. Add to that their top signing from the summer says he wants out to a bigger club. That was cheeky of him tbh.

I'll say this again, but it took Moyes a couple of seasons to get Everton to be a consistent top 8 / 10 side in the PL. Also let's not forget how Moyes took a team who won the Premier League to what, 6th place in a less than a season.

Moyes was turning United into Everton mark II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Danye wrote: »
    I'll say this again, but it took Moyes a couple of seasons to get Everton to be a consistent top 8 / 10 side in the PL. Also let's not forget how Moyes took a team who won the Premier League to what, 6th place in a less than a season.

Moyes was turning United into Everton mark II.

Yep, Moyes was the only factor in Utd finishing 6th last season. Great to see them back to their best this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It would hard for any manager to maintain a top 4 finish and progress well in Europe with what Martinez has at his disposal.

There is a decent spine of a team there with Stones, Coleman, McCarthy, Mirallas, Barkley and Lukaku, but he needs to add another 5 players of similar quality to be able to rotate his squad effectively.

Will he ever get the funds needed? Maybe if Everton are taken over by a wealthy owner. At the moment Everton fans will have to settle for success in the league or Europe for the foreseeable, but not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was having a discussion about this yesterday. On the one hand I've never really been a fan of Martinez but he did a very good job at Everton last season.

Now they have been poor this year but you need a big squad to play Europa league and the Premier league. I have to say that it does seem to me that Martinez has his team putting everything into the Europa league. This might be a target set out at the start of the season with qualification for the ECL for winning it. I think it will be very hard done but they have been the best team in it for me so far besides Napoli.

I don't think they will be relegated for the simple reason that there are too many awful teams down there this season. I think he will get another year there regardless of what happens but he certainly needs to improve in the league or he will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Its interesting case as some of the fundamentals just seem so poor. His trust in his much lauded full backs getting forward has at times left them so exposed its beyond belief. You cant have baines crossing balls into the box and Coleman being at the other end of it. I actually think both of them are pretty poor defenders.

He seems to have gambled on getting Lukaku. He has received a lot of criticism but he is only 21 and has scored 13 or 14 this year in all competitions. They have a sell on value there. im sure they could get their money back if they sold him immediately but he will continue to develop so its an ok signing. i do think however he would have been better to spend that money on 2-3 good players and build the squad. knowing they are in Europe you cant have that small a squad and it tells.

Barry seems to be struggling and with such attacking full backs he has to be the player to sit and break things up and he just seems to be on decline. Although he may be doing better than i think as i have not seen ever everton game.

Jackielga, stones and distan just not good enough for me as Premiership center halfs. Stones may get better. McCarthy been injured a lot and seems to improve them when he plays but overall the squad strength is just not there.

a couple of players are in decline and instead of replacing them he gambled on one front player. I think that Lukaku needs to be sacrificed to rebuild the squad.

really like Everton and their great to watch but mainly because they make a game so open.

With regards to the issue of squad depth and the investment he's been allowed to make, I said this also at the time of his appointment:
    Agree that Stoke would be a better move than Everton. Everton might have a superior squad right now, but a lessor budget and both teams don't have the mix of players to implement the style of football he'll want to play. It will be a lot of work at either club to mould the club the way he wants it.

Lower initial expectations and a higher budget make Stoke the more appealing prospect imo.

Everton is a pain in the ass of a job really. What Moyes did there was brilliant and I always believe you have a better chance of consistently getting in the top half of the table each season with budgetary issues if your game plan is built around hard work and defending well. Martinez is trying to play swashbuckling football with a weak squad where the fans believe they should be in the top half of the table.

Don't see this ending too well.

Evertons problem is not the manager , but the owner , said many times he tries to come across as one of the fans, but his 15 years tenure has been constant broken promises - extra investment, new stadium blah blah waffle waffle - 15 years later nothing from Billy nice guy - I believe he lucked out with Moyes , an inferior manager and the fans would really have seen through the Mr Nice guy front - where is all the TV money going ? in to Kenwrights next production ;
    wheres all the rooney money ??

Wish he came out clean and said what he is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Joshua J wrote: »
    If you watched the match today you've seen 95% of our games this season. Same old same old. It's not that he is unable to see our problems and try to address them, on the contrary, from his interviews it appears like he thinks we're in phenomenal moments and the players just aren't adopting his philosophy properly. His interviews are cringing to watch I can't do it anymore.

The players honestly look like they have no idea what to do when the have the ball. The play is so slow and congested. He keeps bringing back out of form players and dropping players in form. We've been found out. We've been found out since this time last year. This is not just this season although it might look like it from outside. Our preseason was a disaster and the players dont look fit enough. There's no closing down and putting teams under pressure. Fail to prepare prepare to fail.

Kenwright got sold a pup. We'll see if he has the cajones to admit it.

Sorry, are you talking about Everton or United here I can't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

aodea wrote: »
    Its interesting case as some of the fundamentals just seem so poor. His trust in his much lauded full backs getting forward has at times left them so exposed its beyond belief. You cant have baines crossing balls into the box and Coleman being at the other end of it. I actually think both of them are pretty poor defenders.

He seems to have gambled on getting Lukaku. He has received a lot of criticism but he is only 21 and has scored 13 or 14 this year in all competitions. They have a sell on value there. im sure they could get their money back if they sold him immediately but he will continue to develop so its an ok signing. i do think however he would have been better to spend that money on 2-3 good players and build the squad. knowing they are in Europe you cant have that small a squad and it tells.

Barry seems to be struggling and with such attacking full backs he has to be the player to sit and break things up and he just seems to be on decline. Although he may be doing better than i think as i have not seen ever everton game.

Jackielga, stones and distan just not good enough for me as Premiership center halfs. Stones may get better. McCarthy been injured a lot and seems to improve them when he plays but overall the squad strength is just not there.

a couple of players are in decline and instead of replacing them he gambled on one front player. I think that Lukaku needs to be sacrificed to rebuild the squad.

really like Everton and their great to watch but mainly because they make a game so open.

I almost stopped reading when you said you think Baines and Coleman are pretty poor defenders. Coleman certainly was when he first arrived but he spent a lot of time at right midfield and worked his ass off and turned himself into as solid as any right back there is. Baines' mistakes are few and far between too. It's rare that you would ever have Baines crossing with Coleman expected to be on the end of it - you're exaggerating there! It would usually be one or the other with Barry covering for whichever goes and it worked well last season

Everton are not the first team to struggle while juggling Europa and PL games. Its nothing new. But you're probably right about Barry - although without him yesterday, Everton didn't look any more solid. Probably less so in fact. Even with Baines in particular rarely getting too far forward as has been the case in most games this season. As I said in the Everton thread only today, it is hard to think of any players from the England squad of last Summer who is having a good season compared to last season.

And by the way, Stones is an absolutely fantastic young player already and he proved it again yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I almost stopped reading when you said you think Baines and Coleman are pretty poor defenders. Coleman certainly was when he first arrived but he spent a lot of time at right midfield and worked his ass off and turned himself into as solid as any right back there is. Baines' mistakes are few and far between too. It's rare that you would ever have Baines crossing with Coleman expected to be on the end of it - you're exaggerating there! It would usually be one or the other with Barry covering for whichever goes and it worked well last season

Everton are not the first team to struggle while juggling Europa and PL games. Its nothing new. But you're probably right about Barry - although without him yesterday, Everton didn't look any more solid. Probably less so in fact. Even with Baines in particular rarely getting too far forward as has been the case in most games this season. As I said in the Everton thread only today, it is hard to think of any players from the England squad of last Summer who is having a good season compared to last season.

And by the way, Stones is an absolutely fantastic young player already and he proved it again yesterday.

well i have only my sample size of games to base that on but i always felt that coleman id far to eager to get forward and i think that for ireland as well. You watch more of Everton i would imagine than me and regarding Stones i said he may get better. I have seen him make mistakes in most games that have been very poor but then again he may be very good more often than not. the europa leauge where he makes the error and then gives away the peno would be an example sticking in my mind.

I dont have as much knowledge about everton as you but base that on what i have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

It's only his second season and only time will tell. There's been lots of injuries to key players and a busy schedule with the Europa.

The Europa should have been the main priority this season and I'm glad he's going for it. I'm not particularly happy with our league performances but top four was always going to be a struggle this year with the teams around us spending comical amounts of money. 2 or possibly 3 of these teams are going to miss out on champions league which I'd be far more worried about if I was a fan of any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Martinez needs to pick a settled team for me. It's been a different team for every match. Robles came in for Howard and kept 3 clean sheets and then gets dropped to allow Howard back in. Now Howard was a decent keeper but this season he has been shocking. At fault for both goals yesterday.

Barry has been poor all season and yet still gets picked ahead of besic or Barkley who could both play there. Barry's legs have gone.

If he survived til the summer he needs a new keeper, centre half, left winger and a striker to give competition to lukaku.

Should also hire a defensive coach to sort out our defence. I'd take 12 th and a Europa win though

I've said all season I'd take finishing 16th and win Europa. We had a tough group and cruised through it we've a good chance if the draw is kind to us.

I've said all season I'd take finishing 16th and win Europa. We had a tough group and cruised through it we've a good chance if the draw is kind to us.

Obviously.

I'd imagine most would settle for that considering its a bye into the CL.

Obviously.

Not to some Everton fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement