Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roberto Martinez Leaves Wigan.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think this season proves yet again that being in the Europa league is more of a hindrance than a help. The very same thing happened to Newcastle a couple of years ago because they hadn't the squad.

I'd rather finish mid table than in the Europa spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

tastyt wrote: »
    I think this season proves yet again that being in the Europa league is more of a hindrance than a help. The very same thing happened to Newcastle a couple of years ago because they hadn't the squad.

I'd rather finish mid table than in the Europa spots.

You might just win the Europa League and ascend into the promised land by doing so. If you finish mid table then that's all you are: an irrelevant mid table side. EPL fans appear bereft of ambition it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

He had an unbelievable season last year.
    It was too good for his own good. It has been poor this year, but sacking him is too soon in my opinion. If it is still like this in a year. Then yes, he should go. But I believe Everton will be at least in the top half next year.

I hate the way football fans talk about sacking too quick. Rodgers had it in december, now 3 months later, he is a top manager again...
    Its a wreck the head of mine. Football fans have such sh1t memories, and use the word sack too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    EPL fans appear bereft of ambition it seems.

Id use the word realistic.

How can Everton be more ambitious than 5th or 6th at present(by the way, I know they are way short of that this season). But they cannot compete consistently with City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs and Liverpool without major investment, a new stadium, and about 5-10 years of constant mega-money incoming...

Too many fans are asking their sides to do too much.
    Examples such as , West ham last season, newcastle, everton. Do their fans expect to challenge for the top 6 year in year out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Everton stay up, i think it might be worth keeping him, on the proviso that there's some regulation over signings. Blowing the budget on Lukaku last season left a lot of holes. If money was spent wisely in the right areas, i'd expect a quick improvement. Perhaps a one season drop is worth it to land a great young striker you just wouldn't get otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fudge You wrote: »
    Id use the word realistic.

How can Everton be more ambitious than 5th or 6th at present(by the way, I know they are way short of that this season). But they cannot compete consistently with City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs and Liverpool without major investment, a new stadium, and about 5-10 years of constant mega-money incoming...

Too many fans are asking their sides to do too much.
    Examples such as , West ham last season, newcastle, everton. Do their fans expect to challenge for the top 6 year in year out?

But when you're in the Europa League you should be positive about it. It's a cup competition, you have a decent side (hence you qualified the previous season). So stop treating it like a terrible chore holding you back from a slightly higher mid table position and give it all you got. Who knows? It could be the magic lotto ticket that catapults your club up a level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But when you're in the Europa League you should be positive about it. It's a cup competition, you have a decent side (hence you qualified the previous season). So stop treating it like a terrible chore holding you back from a slightly higher mid table position and give it all you got. Who knows? It could be the magic lotto ticket that catapults your club up a level...

Agreed, its a real shame Brendan Rogers didn't feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

This is essentially what Martinez has done though and now he might lose his job because of it.

I think the europa has been a factor coupled with Evertons tiny squad but there's been a lot more wrong this season too. I'm on the fence about whether he should stay or go but Thursday night was so poor it's hard to keep making excuses for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They had a go at the Europa league and did quite well. It clearly affected their league form but they are out of Europe and you'd expect to see them have a good run in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why not go for the Europa league? There's no tangible difference between finishing 7th or 15th in the PL

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Why not go for the Europa league? There's no tangible difference between finishing 7th or 15th in the PL

There is money wise though. There's about a 6 million difference in prize money which is a lot when you don't have owners investing endless money in the club. You're also more likely to lose players with a lower finish and general morale around the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ranchu wrote: »
    There is money wise though. There's about a 6 million difference in prize money which is a lot when you don't have owners investing endless money in the club. You're also more likely to lose players with a lower finish and general morale around the club.

I doubt the fans really care about that though.

I'd imagine fans would remember winning a trophy or getting to a final a lot more than a season finishing in a mid table position.To me it seems quite depressing that some teams put so little emphasis on winning the Europa League for the sake of a better version of mediocrity in the league.

I doubt the fans really care about that though.

I'd imagine fans would remember winning a trophy or getting to a final a lot more than a season finishing in a mid table position.To me it seems quite depressing that some teams put so little emphasis on winning the Europa League for the sake of a better version of mediocrity in the league.

Yeah definitely but getting dumped out in the last 16 and finishing in the bottom half of the table is the flip side of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ranchu wrote: »

6million. But yet you'd get more the further you'd get in Europa no? Between ticket sales TV rites etc etc?

I'm asking not sure to be honest. But I can't see it being less than 6million for winning the thing.

Prize money for Europa
    First qualifying round: €120,000
    Second qualifying round: €130,000
    Third qualifying round: €140,000
    Play-off round elimination: €150,000
    Base fee for group stage: €1,300,000
    Group match victory: €200,000
    Group match draw: €100,000
    Group winners: €400,000
    Group runners-up: €200,000
    Round of 32: €200,000
    Round of 16: €350,000
    Quarter-finals: €450,000
    Semi-finals: €1,000,000
    Losing finalist: €2,500,000
    Winners: €5,000,000

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Prize money for Europa

It's pretty crap prize money in comparison to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

True but the real prize is the champions league spot.

And 5 million is a lot to a club like Everton. They aren't exactly rolling in it even with the new tv money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Kirby wrote: »
    True but the real prize is the champions league spot.

And 5 million is a lot to a club like Everton. They aren't exactly rolling in it even with the new tv money.

Evertons debts have been significantly reduced in the last few years. Broadcast revenue from the sky deal increased by £33m between 2013 and 2014. The Premier League is the cash cow for a club like Everton. The Europa League, while a chance of a trophy and a way into the Champions League is a bit of a hindrance.

Advertisement