Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

late bars

Options
  • 28-05-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

hi,im heading to waterford city on Friday,staying with some other dubs who have just moved down. ill be staying on bridge st. any good pubs late bars nearby that are recommended? only have one night in waterford,wanna make it a memorable one.cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

hi,im heading to waterford city on Friday,staying with some other dubs who have just moved down. ill be staying on bridge st. any good pubs late bars nearby that are recommended? only have one night in waterford,wanna make it a memorable one.cheers:)

Masons - S**T - Probably about 5 people in there.
    Kazbar - Great night - Good mix of a crowd and good choice of entertainment.
    Shortts/Crystal - Great Night - Lots of choice for different types of music.
    Foundry - Waterfords very own late night Teenage Disco -Nothing but kids
    Sinnotts - The most over rated late bar in the country
    Geoffs - Nice and Relaxing

Hope that Helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Geoffs - Nice and Relaxing

:mad: I was in there last Thursday night and they had music blaring. Sense when have they started that ****e it spoils the place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Shortts is where I was gonna recommend alright but different strokes etc.

None of them are gonna be near your hotel though, there's nothing around that end of town but its only a 10 min walk, maybe a bit less.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Shortts is where I was gonna recommend alright but different strokes etc.

None of them are gonna be near your hotel though, there's nothing around that end of town but its only a 10 min walk, maybe a bit less.

Im gonna beat up the first person that recommends Downses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

nice one.also forget to mention we are all in our 30s,so anywhere catering to youngsters wouldn't be ideal

• Advertisement

Geoffs for pints and Shortts for a late bar would be a fairly popular combination. If there's someone good playing you could sub Geoffs with Kazbar or The Front Lounge. They're all with 1 min walk of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sinnotts is my favourite anyway. Good relaxing atmosphere, nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya, start in Geoffs you can float across the road then to the Kazbar. You'll have decent DJ type music downstairs and if your lucky they'll be a good band upstairs at 11. Could go back over to shorts then late on if you fancied it. Fridays are better then Saturdays these days so you should have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya, start in Geoffs you can float across the road then to the Kazbar. You'll have decent DJ type music downstairs and if your lucky they'll be a good band upstairs at 11. Could go back over to shorts then late on if you fancied it. Fridays are better then Saturdays these days so you should have a good one.

+1 for that combo : geoffs - kazbar and finish in shortts

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Geoffs for pints and Shortts for a late bar would be a fairly popular combination. If there's someone good playing you could sub Geoffs with Kazbar or The Front Lounge. They're all with 1 min walk of each other.

forgot about The Front Lounge - Good spot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I love Downses!

The Forum is up that end of town if you're more alternative OP. Other than that, into the centre of town with you and whatever combo you like of Geoff's, Kazbar, Shortts, Front Lounge and Sinnotts. They're literally a minute's walk away from each other so you could check them out on the night and see what you fancy.

Does the Forum even do anything on a Friday night any more? Downstairs may have something on but haven't seen the club open upstairs in ages.

There's often live music on in Shortts as well so I'd say get warmed up in Geoffs and then check them all out and see which takes your fancy!

that boozer has been mentioned to me a good few times in the past week,one for the shortlist:)

that boozer has been mentioned to me a good few times in the past week,one for the shortlist:)

Dont do it - its a trick!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

It might be a little bit out of date , but this site has a helpful map of refreshment stations ,if you should decide to take an evening stroll from Bridge St to John St(where all the late bars are...)

http://www.ciddytours.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

THall04 wrote: »
    It might be a little bit out of date , but this site has a helpful map of refreshment stations ,if you should decide to take an evening stroll from Bridge St to John St(where all the late bars are...)

I would not even log into that site, out dated and run by a group of oulde lads.

Start in Geoffs for a few pints, good bar for a chat with a bit of back round music, nice smoking area.

Kazbar is more lively lots of loud music and more of a disco bar, they have bands upstairs but its up a million steps, smoking out the front of the bar.

Shortts live music down stairs, again lots of loud music this one is more of a gig bar, big smoking area out the back with disco Djs really popular spot.

All the above mentioned is an older crowd, so no hoardes of hormonal 18 year olds.

THall04 wrote: »

this site gave me a giggle,not much in the way of info,but i stumbled across the 'cocktail' section,which has recipes for such delights as 'the hot mossy'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

this site gave me a giggle,not much in the way of info,but i stumbled across the 'cocktail' section,which has recipes for such delights as 'the hot mossy'
    The cocktails are hilarious. One of my favourites:

MONICAS MOUTHWASH
    1. Draft Guinness
    2. West Coast Cooler
    3. Bacardi
    4. Monicas Bathwater (used)

Pour about a half pint of Monicas bath water into a glass (this is expensive as it is so rare - she don't wash that often).

Add a dash of West Coast Cooler and a dash of Bacardi. Discard the Guinness as this is to put a head on it and give it some colour, but you won't need it as the bath water will be fairly frothy and black.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Depending on what time you are around here, but from Bridge St you're best to go into town via Ballybricken few nice small pubs like The Tap Room or even Alfie Hales if you're early (avoid Exchange maybe :) although 3euro a pint isn't bad ) then as mentioned head town 5 min walk and prob go into Geoffs (good food and plenty choice of beers) then into either Kazbar (3 floors of choice) or over to Shorrts (Live Band and nice Smoking terrace with music/its own bar and good crowd)

Little further down the street you have The Foundary (AVOID) Sinnotts (Never had a good night in there) The Woodman (Nice laid back atmosphere) and The Front lounge (similar to Shorrts without the Smoking Terrace)
    haven't been to Masons in years so cant comment, although I'm sure there is a reason I haven't been in years

Yea the Foundry and Masons are pretty much student/underage bars, worth avoiding. I'm not a big fan of The Woodman personally. Cramped and dark.

There seems to be a bit of a reoccurring theme to the suggestions so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Are you fussy about your beer or happy enough to drink the major brands?
    If you'd like something different you could head down toward Grimes before heading back up to "The strip". The front lounge, Geoffs and Kazbar (Bottom bar) also have a good local pale ale called Metalman. Well worth a try when you're down.
    Revolution have a great selection of beers also but it wouldnt be suitable for a gang of 30 somethings really.
    If you want to stay close to where you're staying then Downes is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Since when is Downes a late bar
    apart from the lockins that is

Are you fussy about your beer or happy enough to drink the major brands?
    If you'd like something different you could head down toward Grimes before heading back up to "The strip". The front lounge, Geoffs and Kazbar (Bottom bar) also have a good local pale ale called Metalman. Well worth a try when you're down.
    Revolution have a great selection of beers also but it wouldnt be suitable for a gang of 30 somethings really.
    If you want to stay close to where you're staying then Downes is your best bet.

it would be nice to try a few not so mainstream beers,but we are going out for a nite on the gargle first and foremost so heineken etc Will suffice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Nypd wrote: »
    I would not even log into that site, out dated and run by a group of oulde lads.

Start in Geoffs for a few pints, good bar for a chat with a bit of back round music, nice smoking area.

Kazbar is more lively lots of loud music and more of a disco bar, they have bands upstairs but its up a million steps, smoking out the front of the bar.

Shortts live music down stairs, again lots of loud music this one is more of a gig bar, big smoking area out the back with disco Djs really popular spot.

All the above mentioned is an older crowd, so no hoardes of hormonal 18 year olds.

Geoffs, good bar for a chat and background music...Jesus last few times i've been in Geoffs, the music does be blaring and ye can barely think never mind chat to someone...avoid it....
    If your into alternative beers you could check out Philly Grimes for a few early on then head up to the crossroads, Front Lounge or Kazbar would be better for the 30+s crowd...
    Its pretty amazing that the last few times i've been in town the music everywhere does be blaring, maybe i'm showing my age but if ye wanna have a chat your better of in somewhere outside of the cross

brinty wrote: »
    Geoffs, good bar for a chat and background music...Jesus last few times i've been in Geoffs, the music does be blaring and ye can barely think never mind chat to someone...avoid it....
    If your into alternative beers you could check out Philly Grimes for a few early on then head up to the crossroads, Front Lounge or Kazbar would be better for the 30+s crowd...
    Its pretty amazing that the last few times i've been in town the music everywhere does be blaring, maybe i'm showing my age but if ye wanna have a chat your better of in somewhere outside of the cross

The cross??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The cross??

Crossroads i presume is were parnell st and john st intersect.
    While down here Harry, make sure you try Metalman pale Ale and maybe try the Dungarvan Blonde Ale. I dont drink anything else, makes heineken, bud etc seem like dirty water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The cross??

Crossroads (the strip).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The cross??

the crossroads where all the clubs and pubs do be

geoffs, kazbar,sinnots,front lounge etc...they are all at a crossroads i.e. the cross

Max Powers wrote: »
    Crossroads i presume is were parnell st and john st intersect.
    While down here Harry, make sure you try Metalman pale Ale and maybe try the Dungarvan Blonde Ale. I dont drink anything else, makes heineken, bud etc seem like dirty water

ah i gotcha now! im very familiar with all the dungarvan range,only tried bottles mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

brinty wrote: »

We will put it down to you showing your age so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement