Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GRO to put BMD indexes online

• 28-05-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/2013/05/so-what-so-plenty.html
    http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/2013/05/civil-registration-indexes-approved-for.html

It will be free on
    irishgenealogy.ie

Apparently the ones at Family Search are not 100% accurate, so good news in that regard.

One thing that I hope they do is to allow people to search by address, rather than Poor Law Unions - which are groups of parishes, so it is unfeasible to buy so many certs with so many people with similar names.

By address I mean:

the parish where the marriage took place
    the addresses of the persons marrying
    the address of the person reporting the death
    the address where the birth took place and the person reporting it.

This would allow people to narrow down their searches and discover results in neighboring districts / parishes that they mightn't think to look.

Hopefully they'll have an online buying option as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

sounds like the BMD Index to me, which means the only location information will be the Registration District.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree with Shane - it'll be an advanced index so there won't be searchable by address.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Does anyone know what detail is contained in the original indices? Is there any additional detail that is not contained in the LDS sites?
    Accepting of course that this new development may give us more accurate results.

Other than corrections etc, I believe the only extra details will be any missing records, i.e. those that missed filming or transcribing, plus hopefully the additional details recently indexed by the GRO i.e the dates of birth for the births registered between 1904 and 1927, plus the mother's maiden surnames.

The actual index books contain the same basic details at the data on FamilySearch/Ancestry/FMP - less the LDS film and image reference.

i.e. name, registration district, volume number and page. The record type, year / quarter is determined by the index book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there an even semi-definitive list of what's missing from the LDS index that all the sites use?

• Advertisement

I've seen a list somewhere on the FamilySearch website of the records they believe to be covered - think it was a film catalogue, from which you could probably estimate what's known to be missing - but suspect in addition to this the occasional index page might have been missed during filming, or record skipped over during transcription etc - so always a few record slip through any project like this.

FamilySearch website is acting very slow for me at the moment, but here's a link to some details of the film notes (Google cache) : link

see for example notes for film 101598, deaths for 1894/95 include the note '3rd qtr 1894 is missing pages 22-23',
    or film 101064 birth's 'pages 29-32 of the 1892 September Quarter are missing' etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of the gaps there (site is working properly for me) cover what I can't find anywhere, unfortunately. Time to go through the paper indexes to see if there was anything lost in transcription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

And of course what is missing is birth details of babies put up for adoption or was stillborn. But from what I understand legislation will prevent us getting that detail so they will not be added in this new release.

Advertisement