Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pressing the reset button

Options
  • 28-05-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

It was always my hope/intention to do a marathon before I hit 40 years of age, and last year, whilst 39, I managed to get two of them under my belt. Barcelona in March and Dublin in October.

One I hated, one I enjoyed.

Barcelona was run in 4:10:xx although I use the term "run" very loosely, as I ended up walking/jogging the last 12k of that race. Started off way too fast, and paid a heavy price. It was bloody torture tbh.

Finished DCM in 3:48:10, happy with the time although my legs gave out to cramping at the 38km mark, which ultimately cost me my target of sub 3:45. After DCM, I really lost a bit of focus tbh. I think the lack of a new target really fed my apathy.
    It was so easy to find an excuse not to keep running..... I hit 40 in November, Christmas in December, too cold in January, who starts anything in February, waiting for the clocks to move in March, too many birthdays/weddings in April, etc etc etc
    It wasn't a complete shutdown though, I did manage the odd run here and there, but there were often long gaps between the runs.

But now, I'm back at it properly again, following a program of training that lasts up until the end of October again. I just have to make sure I don't go into hibernation mode again this year after that.

Only looking at doing one marathon this year, Atlanta, on the 27th of October.
    It's the day before the Dublin Marathon, so I expect to nursing a pretty large hangover whilst some of you guys are breaking PB's back at home :)
    Atlanta is a marathon full of hills, and so my training plan will have to accommodate that aspect.

My training is more or less structured like this:-

Since the end of April,

8 weeks to the Dunshaughlin 10k
    6 weeks to the Rock and Roll half marathon
    12 weeks to the Atlanta Marathon

These are my three target races of this year.

4 weeks of the 10k program done, and I am feeling pretty good about it. It's obviously a lot different to marathon training. No long slogs, and my sessions are over in a relatively short period of time.
    Speed work has me huffing and puffing though. Sometimes I feel that there is no way I can keep a decent pace up for a full 10k, but then I know there is a world of difference between racing and training. Interval sessions every Wednesday and Sunday should stand to me. I'm not entirely sure yet what time I can run in Dunshaughlin, I'll probably decide on the day. I am trying to train to a target pace of 4.10 - 4.20 per km.

I've only ever run two 10k races before. (I've started three, but only finished two!) My best being 45:18 (May 2012). I'm fairly sure I can beat this.

I've done one half marathon, best time 1:44:33 (Sept 2011).

So, in all of my target races this year, I hope I can get my PB's down if I put the work in.

Looking forward to it now :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

MONDAY - 5k @ 5:11, ave hr 161

TUESDAY - 10k @ 5:20, ave hr 159

nothing much to say about the first two runs of the week, pretty standard mileage. Both done at an average of 80% max hr.

Tonights run has been on my mind all day. An interval session that I know was going to test me.

3k at pace,
    5 mins recovery
    3k at pace
    5 mins recovery
    1.5k at pace
    3 mins recovery
    1.5k at pace
    crawl home

spent over 20 mins warming up and stretching for this one. Legs were pretty heavy over the last few days so needed to loosen up really well.

WEDNESDAY - Interval session

Reached a HR for each of the pace distances of 180, so 90% of max HR which means that I probably have a little more in me.

1st 3km : 4.24/km
    2nd 3km : 4.22/km
    1st 1.5km : 4.25/km
    2nd 1.5km : 4.18/km

Happy to have got through it, although legs are killin' me now. I'm gonna be stiff in the morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ah this is boll**ks!! KMs!!:rolleyes:

;)

That is a serious session tongiht, it looks almost too stressful to the body as a training session (depending on the pace you done them). Will you be doing something like this every week. Is pace your 5km pace?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass but I'm interested. :D

Edit: After a bit of research looks like 10km pace which answers all my concerns! the 1.5km recovery after the 3min recovery had me confused! :)

Great session there although I suspect you wouldnt want to go past 90% max HR for 10km pace? Havn't a clue about HR zones myself.

yeah, you're right blockic, 10k pace it was. Also, that was of course a 1.5km at pace after the 3 minute recovery, I can see that no slacking is gonna get by you :p

I think I should be able to sustain 90-94% HR max for a 10k, that is if I'm fit enough by the time it rolls around.
    In the only 10k race I did last year I managed to hold the pace at 94% max for each split, before reaching my max over the closing meters.

I know we don't race by HR, but it will make me take the foot off the pedal in the early stages of a 10k race if I feel it's too high and there is a risk of blowing up.

Legs feel strangely fine today. Just the usual sore achilles tendons coming down the stairs this morning, but my miracle drug (manuka honey) sorts that out in no time :)

Night off for me tonight, going for dinner in the big shmoke :cool:

Wow, it looks like a week is a lifetime in the training logs section. I had to do a search to find my own log ! :pac:

Anyway, the last week was nothing too special, but it was damn hot out there !

SATURDAY 1 JUNE - 10.27k @ 5:20, ave hr 157

TUESDAY 4 JUNE - 12k @ 4:50, ave hr 169

WEDNESDAY 5 JUNE - 11.12k @ 4:59, ave hr 162

I planned to do some interval training last night, but after a decent warmup, I just felt my legs were not up to that speed, and so went for a regular aerobic run rather than risk injury. It was probably all in my head, I'll give it another go tonight.

Pretty happy with how my fitness is coming on. I'm now running at sub 5min km pace for the same HR level that I was only managing 5:36 pace a month ago.

Been having internet problems at home and really busy in work, so have not had much time to keep this updated.

Ran the Dunshaughlin 10k last night, and unlike last year when I strained my calf after 2.5kms, I managed to finish it this time :)

In fact I allowed myself a little fist-pump as I ran past the 3km marker as I had now got a distance pb for this race ;)

DUNSHAUGHLIN 10k

Started well enough, but lost a bit of concentration in kms 4-7 where I tagged on to a group that was actually going slower than I had planned. I thought about pushing away from then, but really was just afraid of blowing up as my HR was at 95% of max so early in the race.

Those hills from 6km to 8km sucked the life out of me tbh. My form was all over the place which is unusual, as all the runs I do by my house are full of harder inclines/declines. I knew I was behind schedule, and maybe that upset my rhythm on those inclines. They weren't that steep after all :confused:

Just freewheeled it home from 8km.

Beat my 10k PB by over a minute, and this was my first time inside 45 mins. Official time 44:13. I still believe that I can take another minute off that if I get it right.

A very well organised event tbh, and really enjoyed it.

One thing I have realised after doing this race, is that I simply do not race enough.

Over the last two and a bit years, I've done 2 marathons, 1 half marathon, 3 10k's, and an 8k. That's only 7 races in total.

I really think I need to race more to avoid making silly mistakes in relation to pacing/strategy.
    Also, with more races I think I'd probably train more frequently/efficiently. I find it hard to keep the focus on training, unless there is something on the very near horizon.

Anyway, I'm signed up for the Rock n Roll half marathon which is in 6 weeks. I'm going to slot into the last 6 weeks of Higdon's intermediate program for this distance

After that, it's 12 weeks of P&D leading into my only marathon this year.

18 weeks to go until hibernation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think I spotted you before the race, were you wearing your Boards AC top?

I remember thinking I recognised you but before I had a chance to say hello you had disappeared in the crowd...

Yeah, that was the first time out in my Boards top :pac: Managed to squeeze into it before the race and couldn't peel it off again so went with it ;)

I did get a shout from another runner of "go on boards ! " as he belted past me at the 4km mark. No idea who it was !

Wore the t-shirt once, set a pb. It's a feckin' magic piece of clothing :D

Nice race by you Meno, you must be delighted with yourself !

Ha! found myself in the pictures

Looking down at my feet as usual :rolleyes:

Really need to change that bad habit :mad:

Took Sunday and Monday off running following the Dunshaughlin 10k.

I was still a little bit sore on Monday so decided to go for a swim which I find really works well for me. I cant swim very well, but just moving about in the water does my muscles the world of good. I'd love to have the time to learn to swim properly :(

Anyways, back to the roads again tonight, at the start of the first of six weeks HM training.

8.06km - 5.06 pace - Ave HR 162

I was disappointed with how I handled the hills in the 10k last Saturday, so I'm planning to do most of my runs on the ups and downs close to where I live. I need to get some strength into my legs and I'm not one that likes to hit the gym for weight training. A few sessions of hill repeats will have to be built in somewhere along the way.

Out last night for a bit of speed work.

Started with a 2k warmup, then into 8 repeats of 500m.

interval session

Felt pretty good doing them, although my left hammer was giving out a bit. It's a bit tender this morning, so a bit of rolling called for later on.

Happy enough with the splits too although I know the first one is wrong. I was running for a good 100m when I glanced at my garmin which said I was running at a pace of 8:3x per km. At the end of the first interval, it showed 4:21, but I reckon it was under 4:00.

Pace/km for each split :-

4:21 / 3:58 / 3:54 / 4:03 / 3:49 / 4:01 / 4:00 / ???

So, my garmin is acting up :(

For some reason it just did not record my last interval properly. It was hard enough to do the last one without looking down at my watch half way through to see it had frozen :(
    The distance did not count down, but the HR was working fine. I also wear a footpod, so the fact that the watch was not picking up the ground covered has me stumped. No cadence recorded either. I'll replace the battery in the footpod, and give the watch a whirl again tonight. I'm hoping it's not shagged. Unusual that the gps and the footpod would stop working at the same time.

A 2.8k run home as a cooldown. That's an estimate but close enough.

• Advertisement

I haven't got around to replacing the battery in my footpod yet, but the good news is that my watch is working perfectly again. It was just the dodgy footpod that was throwing everything out.

Catching up on the remainder of last week then.....

Friday was just an easy 7k. Average pace 5:33/km, ave hr 161
    Absolutely loved this run. Decided not to look at my times/splits/hr, and just run easy. Listened to music on the way around which is something I haven't done in ages. The good thing about running out in the middle of nowhere is that singing along to the tunes goes unnoticed :pac:

Saturday saw a 6k pace run Average pace 4:26/km, ave hr 180
    A warm up of 1k, and a cool down of 3k made the session into a 10k distance altogether.
    It was damn hot on Saturday when I did this, and I continued to work on the undulating roads around my gaff. It felt like a tough session, but it will stand to me.

On to Sunday then and a 14k run Average pace 5:12/km, ave hr 167
    I did this one too fast imo. As far as I know, long runs are supposed to be 40-60 seconds slower per km than planned race pace, but I based this session off my planned HM time rather than my marathon pace. It was only 14km though, so hardly a "long run" in the true sense of the words, but when you are only building up, 14km can feel like a lot longer.

And actually if someone could clarify what pace I should currently be doing my weekend "long-runs" at, I'd appreciate it.
    I'm hoping to do the HM at 4:30/km pace, but my planned marathon time in October will be somewhere between 5:00 and 5:15 per km.

So, a total of 5 days running last week, for a total of 49 and a bit kms. 4hrs 24 mins of running :)

Monday (yesterday) was a rest day, but out again tonight for an easy 8kms and a bit more singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hey J great work going on :)

For my sub 3:30 marathon I was doing MP runs at 7:50/mile (sometimes a bit faster :o) and the lsr pace was between 9 - 9:30 min/mile most of the time. Sometimes I did a few 8:30 miles too. Sorry I don't work in km but I think that might be between 5:45 and 6:15 per km :)

Interesting post here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64429435&postcount=20

Thanks CM, just what I was looking for.

It should make the weekend running a bit easier !

An easy run on Tuesday night, and after reading that excellent thread that CM linked for me, I was adamant that I was going to run it an easy pace all the way through.

TUESDAY - 8.60k @ 5:39, ave hr 150

So AVE HR kept in the 70-75% max zone. It makes a nice change to finish a run and feel refreshed. Too often I push my training too hard to make myself feel as if I've done some "real work".

WEDNESDAY - TEMPO - 11.2k total @ 5:20, ave hr 163

It's bloody hard to do these on roads that are constantly going up and down. I think I'm going to have to find a flatter course if I am going to do these properly. My pacing is all over the place, which results in me running too fast. Felt knackered after that run.

Sorry guys, don't mind me, I have this info written on a scrap of paper and I know I'll lose it. Gonna put it here so I can call on it when I need it.

Based on last race :-

LR : 5:45 - 6:15

EASY : 5:40

MP : 5:14

HM : 4:41

LT : 4:33

10k : 4:25

5k : 4:17

1k Int's : 4:12

Now I have something to check against.

ok, carry on.......:pac:

Finishing off last week .....

FRIDAY - 6k @ 5:36, ave hr 152

I missed my pace run on Saturday, was really busy trying to get a 7 year olds party organised for the following day. Still up at 2am printing and laminating stuff for party games :rolleyes: Just ran out of time in the end, and really peeved that I missed it. Was tempted to do a double session on Sunday to catch up, but thought better of it in the end. I'd like to get to the end of October without any injuries this season.

After said kids party on Sunday, did my last run of the week in the sweltering heat. A belly full of cheap cola and sweets probably made this a bit harder than it should have been.
    I was about 2km in to the run when I realised that I had not put on my calf-guards. That made me nervous as I have not done anything over 10km without them in ages. Every twinge was felt and adjusted for.
    16 and a bit kms at an average of 5:45 per km. No linky for this run as my computer screen at home is now broken. No idea what's up with it, but it just quit. I have to take a spare one home from work today so I can get it sorted out. Link to be provided then for the non-believers :pac:

So that makes it about 42kms last week, even though I missed an 8k run.

Looking forward to a run in the sunshine again this evening. Lovin' it !

EDIT : SUNDAY - 16.16k @ 5:45, ave hr 154

Now that was hot tonight !!

The tarmac was melting in places and my runners were sticking to the ground :D
    Just an easy 10k when I got home from work, a quick shower, and then sitting outside with a beer in my hand before 8pm. Life is good !

TUESDAY - 10k @ 5:35, ave hr 159

THURSDAY - INTERVALS

9*0.5km Intervals this evening, and I have to say that these are sessions are feeling easier every time I do them.

I made a bit of a mess when setting up the workout on garmin connect. I had only programmed in 8 intervals, which means I had to estimate the 9th one as part of my cool-down.

I shortened the rest time between intervals from 2:20 last time out, to 1:20 this time around. Honestly felt good and very comfortable throughout, even with the reduced recovery time.

Interval timings :-

1 - 4:02 pace
    2 - 4:10 pace
    3 - 4:01 pace
    4 - 4:04 pace
    5 - 3:59 pace
    6 - 4:04 pace
    7 - 4:10 pace
    8 - 4:00 pace
    9 - 4:00 pace

The 2nd interval was a conscious decision by me to slow down and try to hit my 5k pace of 4:17 per km. I still ran faster than that pace, and just said to hell with it then and ran at a pace that felt right.

The 7th Interval had me puzzled though. All the way through my watch kept telling me I needed to speed up. I'm sure because of this it was my fastest interval yet it only registered 4:10 pace at the end of it. Something was amiss on that one, as I actually finished it about 30 meters past the usual finishing spot.

Anyway, a good session, and feeling a lot happier, and not half as fearful of these interval sessions now.

Advertisement