Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping a horse on track in the arena?

• 28-05-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys,
    just wondering if anyone has any good tips on keeping a horse on the track in the arena, my horse keeps taking a quick turn about half way down the arena or veers off sharply left into the arena that sometimes I think he is going to turn over on himself?

I have trying keeping my inside leg on him but doesnt seem to matter, have tried turning him in a circle when he tries to veer off left but .....

Any ideas? Only have him 2mths so we are both getting used to each other but dont want it turning into a bad habit.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

when he veers, try to turn it into a circle, get him to relax on a circle, then try to move further on. Do it in trot. So when he veers try to make it into a nice 10 or 15m circle, keep circling until he relaxes then try to go further up the side til he veers it again, then circle again etc and just keep at it. Every times he calms and goes further reward him.

I have also just walked youngsters into corners and left them have a good look and a sniff around before working them in they're a bit funny about the scary corner monsters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

To add onto the good idea about circles, do not let him go where he wants to go. Even if that means going somewhere different to where you wanted to go.
    Assuming as it's done constantly, it's out of cheekiness and not fear? Don't be afraid to carry a short whip on your inside hand. This does not mean beat him until he moves left, it means just carry it and maybe give him a correction if needs be.
    By keeping on your inside leg, do you mean constantly or only just before he turns?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

keeping the inside leg on him constantly to try and stop him veering out into the centre of the arena which is very tiring for both of us. I think it cheekiness alright, as I have him just 2mths so I'd say he is seeing what he can get away with. Delighted to have him but sometimes leave the arena feeling deflated that nothing is working and all the other riders seem to be progressing so well, just a learning curve really I suppose.

Had ridden as a child and gave up when i was a teenager, got back into it 2 years ago with lessons and share on a horse, now have my own which is what I always wanted, just need to push myself more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

adamant3 wrote: »
    keeping the inside leg on him constantly to try and stop him veering out into the centre of the arena which is very tiring for both of us. I think it cheekiness alright, as I have him just 2mths so I'd say he is seeing what he can get away with. Delighted to have him but sometimes leave the arena feeling deflated that nothing is working and all the other riders seem to be progressing so well, just a learning curve really I suppose.

Had ridden as a child and gave up when i was a teenager, got back into it 2 years ago with lessons and share on a horse, now have my own which is what I always wanted, just need to push myself more.

Perhaps, since you keep your leg on constantly, it's desensitized him to your leg.
    Cheekiness needs firm correction, time and rewards for good behaviour. What's your mindset when you get on him? Is it "right, no messing today, we're going to do this, this and this", or is it "aw no, it's just gonna be one big struggle and he's just gonna keep doing whatever"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My mare did this when I first got her, purely out of cheekiness too. My instructor told me not to circle her in the direction she wanted to go as this still allowed her get her own way. I would instead open my hand and keep the inside leg on to keep pushing her out in the direction I wanted to go. I also found a little flick with a schooling whip worked well when she was being particularly stubborn.

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    Perhaps, since you keep your leg on constantly, it's desensitized him to your leg.
    Cheekiness needs firm correction, time and rewards for good behaviour. What's your mindset when you get on him? Is it "right, no messing today, we're going to do this, this and this", or is it "aw no, it's just gonna be one big struggle and he's just gonna keep doing whatever"?

Mindset depends on the day, but its mostly 'yeah I know you are going to try and veer off but we are going to motor on', think I just need to be a bit tough, was just conscious that he is still settling in, so may be being a bit soft

Valentina wrote: »
    My mare did this when I first got her, purely out of cheekiness too. My instructor told me not to circle her in the direction she wanted to go as this still allowed her get her own way. I would instead open my hand and keep the inside leg on to keep pushing her out in the direction I wanted to go. I also found a little flick with a schooling whip worked well when she was being particularly stubborn.

Valentina, do you mean open your outside hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

adamant3 wrote: »
    Valentina, do you mean open your outside hand?

Yep, open your outside hand and keep the inside leg on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Try riding up the 3/4 line and ask for flection to the outside by using as Val says an open rein.

Just make sure you keep a firm inside rein contact to prevent him dropping his shoulder and drifting.

You will have to be firm and as your whip is an extra aid do not be afraid to use it on his shoulder b4 he starts to drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I haven't ridden in years so can't offer riding advice, but have you considered getting somebody else to ride him and be really firm with him, then you ride and be firm also. I don't suppose there's anything along the side of that side of arena that's causing him to spook, will he pass the same point on the other rein?

Please remember I could be talking utter rubbish ;)

• Advertisement

thanks Dave, yes someone else is riding him 2 mornings a week they train horses themselves so are being tough with him. Have noticed a little difference this week and think it is due to him being ridden by the other rider rather than anything I am doing with him but hopefully that will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

I'd have to disagree on turning him in a circle when he veers, you're simply letting the horse continue in the direction he wants. My horse is crooked n the left rein and tends to to fall in off the track. I keep a steady contact on my outside rein and flex on my inside to stop him from bending the wrong way, backing up with my inside leg to keep the shape. If he is really falling, I open my outside rein and push him, making him bend the wrong way and then regaining the correct bend. I also rice with a schooling whip and when transitioning downwards I let it lie against his quarters to keep him straight as he goes down through the paces.

Advertisement