Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plain pack cigarettes coming soon!

• 28-05-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.news.msn.ie/plain-pack-cigarettes-ireland-927656-May2013/
    AHEAD OF WORLD No Tobacco Day on Friday, the Minister for Health James Reilly has announced that Ireland is to become the second country in the world to introduce plain packets of cigarettes.

Minister Reilly said he was “confident that this legislation will be justified and supported purely by the fact that it will save lives”.

IMO, it'll just make it easier for counterfeit smokes to be sold. Also, I cannot really see how not having branding on the packet will somehow stop people smoking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The makers of John Player also issued a statement agreeing with RAS and said plain packaging would merely cut the supply chain costs for criminals
    Ha! Can we take it then that manufactures will drop prices when they cut their own "supply chain costs".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OldGoat wrote: »
    Ha! Can we take it then that manufactures will drop prices when they cut their own "supply chain costs".
    Yes. They'll cut the costs for €9 to €9.50 to cover the costs of having to print plain packets... :pac:

With a bigger picture of a smokers throat, no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

will they ever sod off. Theres so many bigger problems in this country than packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

The government are introducing plain packets of cigarettes.
    Now we can draw our own logos on each pack :)
    Seriously though it will make no odds at all at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Reilly said on telly earlier that '1 in 2 smokers will die' (sic) cheered me up, I've got a 50/50 chance of immortality now. On a serious note, it's easy to spot the counterfeit fags now, imagine the sh!te the very dodgy cigarettes will cause the HSE once this is introduced.

• Advertisement

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Reilly said on telly earlier that '1 in 2 smokers will die' (sic) cheered me up, I've got a 50/50 chance of immortality now.
    I created a meme for that :D After I ran it through spell-check :P

401923_10200801888904600_148953253_n.jpg

But yes, as an ex-smoker, I really don't like this. It'll also make it harder for people to know which pack of smokes is theirs.

If it's such a good idea, why has only Australia taken it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's such a good idea, why has only Australia taken it up?

It's optics. If there is one truth about all politicians of all time periods is that they always want to be seen doing something. The actual effectiveness of what they're doing is a very secondary concern.

Nice little sideline ahead in making personalized ciggy cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Why not take the French approach? Take them out off the sweet shops and only sell them in a Bar Tabac. I hate to say it but tesco has a good system in place, you have to go to the customers services for them.

preytec wrote: »
    Why not take the French approach? Take them out off the sweet shops and only sell them in a Bar Tabac. I hate to say it but tesco has a good system in place, you have to go to the customers services for them.
    Annoying as f**k, but it also meant that you get a better selection. I remember lugging a trolley full of shopping from a supermarket to a nearby town to get tobacco whilst at Hellfest. There was a very good selection of all types of cigarettes, cigars, rolling tobaccoand rolling papers, as well as associated smoking equipment and accessories.

Although Clisson was only a small village, in Nantes, hunting down the sole tobacco shop wasn't fun!

Imagine having only two tobacco shops in Dublin? One in the northside, and one in the southside?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Imagine having only two three tobacco shops in Dublin Ireland? None in the northside, and three in the southside?
    Welcome to the world of the cigar smoker.

Welcome to the world of the cigar smoker.
    Three in Dublin, one in Limerick, and one in Belfast? Sucks to be you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

Not that I smoke... But I fail to see the effect it will have on people's smoking. Just another, 'pat yourselves on the back' move - So they all feel like they did something good.

Awww... Hugs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently the branding on the cigarettes is free advertising for tobacco companies. But I can see the tobacco companies taking this to Europe and winning with a huge legal bill to the Exchequer.

I think its easy to say the smokers are costing x amount to the health service and we have to do something about it. Smoking rates are declining and fewer and fewer young people smoke. But if the government wants to tackle a serious health issue they should tackle obesity. But you cant attack fat people as its unacceptable but its fine to do the same to smokers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 icetronix

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Reilly said on telly earlier that '1 in 2 smokers will die' (sic) cheered me up, I've got a 50/50 chance of immortality now.

Made me chuckle no end . . . .as i sit here with a cigar burning in the ashtray and a pack of B&H gold beside it :) What concerns me about all this is the fact they are making it easier for "fake" cigarettes to make it into the mainstream supply chain. That worries me more then getting cancer from smoking /sadface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Nice little sideline ahead in making personalized ciggy cases.

How about these?

http://www.boxwrap.com.au/index.php/

Silver ciggy case FTW. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Howdy folks.

Take this from someone in the trade. This plain packaging will not happen as soon as anyone thinks. If it ever does happen, it will be years away.

Up to now, all the changes imposed by the government, were pretty much expected and the tobacco companies just accepted it. So, in effect, the changes came in rapidly, as predicted by whatever minister.

The rumblings I am hearing, are that the companies are preparing for the mother of all wars. This is not being accepted lying down. This is (expected) to be tied up in legal challenges and lawsuits, for what could be years.

*NOTE*
    I am only a retailer and as per legislation, I am not promoting smoking under any circumstances. I am just mentioning to the group what I have heard direct from a cigarette comany.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 galway_dude24

Would it make a difference anyway, honestly?

Advertisement