Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline Adapters

• 28-05-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Can anyone advise as to which powerline adapters would be best to future proof for when Fibre becomes available? Currently on a pretty poor, but stable, 1.6Mb connection. I had a look at what Eircom offer on their site, but not sure if they would be good enough for the expected massive improvement if I can ever get Fibre.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I've been using Devolo dLAN AV200 units for the longest time and they have been ROCK solid! You can get even faster ones now, up to 500Mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

degsie wrote: »
    I've been using Devolo dLAN AV200 units for the longest time and they have been ROCK solid! You can get even faster ones now, up to 500Mb/s.

Cool, i'll have a look at those. What are they like, noise wise? Any humming or completely silent? Also, any noticeable drop in speed with other devices plugged in nearby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

What are they like, noise wise? Any humming or completely silent?

They make sound similar to this

:D

Seriously though there's no coil whine or buzzing, at least on the few I've ever tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

No noise whatsoever. I've never noticed any significant speed drops when plugging in other electrical units. You should know however that the published speeds are only theoretical and depends on how 'good' your house wiring is.

Cool, i'll have a look at those. What are they like, noise wise? Any humming or completely silent? Also, any noticeable drop in speed with other devices plugged in nearby?

SickBoy wrote: »
    They make sound similar to this

:D

Seriously though there's no coil whine or buzzing, at least on the few I've ever tried.

:D:p:D Man i miss the sound of loading tapes. And having to be careful incase you made too much noise or disturb the tape deck for fear of having to reload.

I stumbled on an old post here and someone mentioned a humming noise, so better to ask again in fresh tread.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    No noise whatsoever. I've never noticed any significant speed drops when plugging in other electrical units. You should know however that the published speeds are only theoretical and depends on how 'good' your house wiring is.

Of course, though anything i get out of them (with fibre) would be much better than what i have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

They don't make any noise, but the top speed does drop off the further apart they are. Expect to get ~50mbps throughput out of a pair of 200mbps adapters and a little bit more out of 500mbps adapters.

Make sure to try all the sockets in both the transmitting and receiving rooms as there can be a significant variation between sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Expect speed to drop off significantly the more powerline plugs you have in your home. They operate as hubs, not switches. In that all traffic goes to all plugs. So, if you have three plugs and you want to send data from plug 1 to plug 2, plug 3 will also get that data. I believe it's an exponential drop in performance.

I have two Devolo's [god bless the STIPTV trial :)] linking UPC up stairs to PS3 downstairs. Full HD streaming works perfectly. That's all I need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

RangeR wrote: »
    Expect speed to drop off significantly the more powerline plugs you have in your home. They operate as hubs, not switches. In that all traffic goes to all plugs. So, if you have three plugs and you want to send data from plug 1 to plug 2, plug 3 will also get that data. I believe it's an exponential drop in performance.

I have two Devolo's [god bless the STIPTV trial :)] linking UPC up stairs to PS3 downstairs. Full HD streaming works perfectly. That's all I need to know.

I've two Devolo homeplugs as well. Have had no issue with them.

Cool, thanks for all the info. I had been planning on having 3 in total. One obviously into back of router, and one into next room for PS3 and then back room for laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cool, thanks for all the info. I had been planning on having 3 in total. One obviously into back of router, and one into next room for PS3 and then back room for laptop

Why not one for router
    One for PS3 but actually an 8 port switch, with WIFI AP.
    Laptop wireless to WIFI AP

Advertisement