Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun licences

Options
  • 28-05-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

does anybody know how long it takes the guards to process a shotgun licence? i know this question was asked before but that was a long time ago haha. its the navan garda station to be specific..... any guesses? thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Under the new regulations they have 3 months, if you havent heard after that its considered a refusal. How long has it been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It can take as long as they want.
    My first licence was nine months, second six weeks, third six months and my last one was applied for in October I know i am getting it as i was told in a meeting by the man himself, someone for got to sign something, it was lost for a while etc... My renewal took three months. But some lads are lucky with where they are the Gardai in my district station are very busy so i understand why it can take so long it is a pain in the bum though. I doubt very much it will take that long but don't give up hope if it dose it doesn't mean a no it could just be in a pile of paperwork on someones desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alex.simpson

its been nearly a month. i dunno i reckon its all good but i havent heard officially just by the garda who looked over it. ye i know they take max three months. ive got a couple of calls looking for various things and a letter can i expect to get called in for an interview at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

its been nearly a month. i dunno i reckon its all good but i havent heard officially just by the garda who looked over it. ye i know they take max three months. ive got a couple of calls looking for various things and a letter can i expect to get called in for an interview at some stage?

Its a good thing you got calls. Some people never hear a word until the licence arrives 3 months or more later.

At least you know they have looked at it and its not sitting on a desk under loads of other paperwork still.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bprend

For me and my brother it was the same. After 3 weeks a letter came to say it was being processed and could take up to 3 months. A week later a letter came to say it was approved and a few days after that the license arrived. Roughly the same time frame for both of us. 1 shotgun and 1 rifle license. No interview, just called my references, land owner and came to my house to inspect the safe. I really think it depends on where you're located and how the Gardai are organised. I was quite lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Below is a post from a previous thread, it's dependant on where you are and what other duties the garda has.

"It really depends on who the f o is, and their role at the particular station. I know my local f o deals with just applications and his normal Garda work, but I know of another in a different station that deals with applications, court supervision and seized or handed in property at the station. This person was supervising the courts at a trial for 8 weeks and so an application wasnt dealt with until this week, even though it had been handed in a week or so before the court work came up.
    In short, some places fast, some real slow, depending on other duties. Hope this helps."

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cornholio508

Below is a post from a previous thread, it's dependant on where you are and what other duties the garda has.

"It really depends on who the f o is, and their role at the particular station. I know my local f o deals with just applications and his normal Garda work, but I know of another in a different station that deals with applications, court supervision and seized or handed in property at the station. This person was supervising the courts at a trial for 8 weeks and so an application wasnt dealt with until this week, even though it had been handed in a week or so before the court work came up.
    In short, some places fast, some real slow, depending on other duties. Hope this helps."

Its as tomtucker81 said . generally it can take anything from 3 weeks minimum to 3 months . I am currently waiting for my licence for my .22 to come out . My landlord applied for his gun 3 months back and he received his license 3 weeks later . Its almost a month since i applied for mine .

I know my local FO is busy as all hell at the moment . This is the time of year for renewals so he is probably waist deep in paper work . That said there is no harm in ringing the FO to find out if he has processed it yet .

The wait for the license is a pain .

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

I have just been told that my application has been lost following submission by my local Fire Arms Officer ! Awaing to hear from Firearms Officer with an update. Would suggest you have a chat with your FO officer. It is their responsibility to follow up on the application and ensure it is processed correctly. First time applications are taking up to three months. Renewals are taking about two months. Errors are being made also with licences where a person has more than one firearm. Ensure serial numbers are correctly licenced to owner.
    Its as tomtucker81 said . generally it can take anything from 3 weeks minimum to 3 months . I am currently waiting for my licence for my .22 to come out . My landlord applied for his gun 3 months back and he received his license 3 weeks later . Its almost a month since i applied for mine .

I know my local FO is busy as all hell at the moment . This is the time of year for renewals so he is probably waist deep in paper work . That said there is no harm in ringing the FO to find out if he has processed it yet .

The wait for the license is a pain .

Advertisement