Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit union issue

Options
  • 28-05-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

So I have a loan with CU that I couldn't pay due to loosing my job. Long story short, PPI wouldn't pay out so I sent an email with a query to which I didn't receive a response, I did however receive a phone call one evening on the way home from work to discuss the issue. It has since come to light that the call was recorded by the CU without my knowledge and he is holding me to do a promise I allegedly made but have no recollection of. The CU have offered to play the conversation for me if I come to the branch but I am hesitant to do that. What's people's opinion of the best way to move forward??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

So I have a loan with CU that I couldn't pay due to loosing my job. Long story short, PPI wouldn't pay out so I sent an email with a query to which I didn't receive a response, I did however receive a phone call one evening on the way home from work to discuss the issue. It has since come to light that the call was recorded by the CU without my knowledge and he is holding me to do a promise I allegedly made but have no recollection of. The CU have offered to play the conversation for me if I come to the branch but I am hesitant to do that. What's people's opinion of the best way to move forward??

Ok so they have you recorded agreeing to something. I would at least go in and listen to what they have. Legally speaking they need to advise you they are recording the call. This is done either by having recorded section play to the customer when they call in before they get through to someone, or have the agent from the CU advise you the call is recorded at the start of the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Yea thats where I have the problem. The last time I sat with the fella it was a 45 minute meeting of high brow insults and unnecessary comments. Either way I was not informed about the recording and have an issue with that.
    Does anyone know who's remit this falls under the financial ombudsman or the data protection commissioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yea thats where I have the problem. The last time I sat with the fella it was a 45 minute meeting of high brow insults and unnecessary comments. Either way I was not informed about the recording and have an issue with that.
    Does anyone know who's remit this falls under the financial ombudsman or the data protection commissioner?

Data Protection Commisioner. How did they record the conversation in person?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

I disagree with the last post. The Regulators code of Conduct when dealing with customers says all calls must be recorded for training and quality purposes. However customers must be told this when they call at the outset. The credit unions are recently using tapes of their customers to prove their customers entered into agreeements with them .You can argue that your circumstances changed after that, I wouldnt allow the credit union mgr to harrass you by playing back long tapes of phone calls. Take your case to the Financial Ombudsman and ask the credit union for a sign off letter and they will change their tune id say

Me again . Why didnt your PPI not pay? Can this be appealed, you should certainly try. if you sent an email the onus was on the credit union to reply to your email. they need a kick up the a**.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

ppi wouldn't pay because he lost his job but he received a call on his way home from work ???

So why didnt the PPI pay- it is there to cover unemployment isnt it. Ask them to confirm in writing to you that the PPI wont pay out and the reasons why. Put in in writing to the credit union. PPI was missold to 1000's of people here who were ineligible and would never have got payouts anyway , becuse they were self employed or in contract jobs or homemakers, and these are all entitled now to full refund of premiums they paid into PPI . If you fall into this category you could offset this refund against the amount you owe the credit union.

Put everything in writing to the credit union in future and ask them to puteverything in writing to you also. Dont deal with them on the phone when they employ bully boy tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

Obvious troll - why bother - the ppi box on loan agreements was an idiot yes/no tick box - the ones that ticked it are now getting a get out of jail card. Even now they can't claim it back themselves with 75% paying to contest it.

Advertisement