Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day before / Hours

Options
  • 28-05-2013 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Just Wondering,

Could any one give Tips on What to Eat Day before a Sprint Tri and what to take in 3 hours before the race.

Searching Google but cant really find a Diet Plan for the Days before a Race.
    my guess its down to trail and error with some people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

IMO yeah its trial and error, you can only go off what works for you.
    Plus a sprint distance is short enough that you don't need to get too caught up on the science side of the food....thats just my opinion, others might slate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Thanks,

I was hoping to do a Sprint and followed by a Full Tri, and with enough knowledge and Fitness do a Half Iron-Man next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Cork24 wrote: »
    Thanks,

I was hoping to do a Sprint and followed by a Full Tri, and with enough knowledge and Fitness do a Half Iron-Man next year.

pretty much the route i took

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sprints are over so quickly nutrition is not really an issue. On the day eat normally, whatever kinds of things you eat before your training sessions, as in your regular breakfast. And the golden rule for any race is don't do anything on race day you haven't tried in training. This applies to food, drink, kit.

I would eat a good evening meal the night before, something your used to eating. Otherwise, all as normal.

As you train over the next year you'll become more familiar with what works for you and what doesn't over longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Don't eat something heavy like a steak the day before a race
    It takes too long to digest and you'll still be dragging it around in your tummy for the race (and maybe the day after!)
    Try eat something lighter and more easily digested like fish perhaps instead
    Like Oryx said, don't try anything new

Race morning depending of start time you should try to eat a big breakfast about 3-4 hours before the race and very little food thereafter, drink water up till about 1.5 hours beforehand.
    Sometimes race is a little bit later so in that case I try to eat a small breakfast first thing followed by large breakfast later
    Other times the race start is just too late so get your breakfast at usual time and don't stress too much, just eat a sandwich or something in plenty of time before the race

Always try to go for a poo beforehand, could be 500g weight saving in one of those bad boys and you'll feel better - all good. Coffee with breakfast is great to get things moving.

Edit: should probably throw a :) or a ;) in above somewhere so as not to offend :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Thanks for all the Tips lads, just messing around with a few protein shakes / energy Gels see which doesn't stick etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Only change I make is to add salt to all meals for 2/3 days before the race - I'm quite a heavy sweater so helps to have extra sweat in the system.

After that, it's whatever I'd do before a training session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Only change I make is to add salt to all meals for 2/3 days before the race - I'm quite a heavy sweater so helps to have extra sweat in the system.

After that, it's whatever I'd do before a training session.

With a normal western diet there should be no need for extra salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

j0hn1 wrote: »
    Don't eat something heavy like a steak the day before a race

I wouldn't eat any red meat for two or three days before a race. It does take longer to digest and can leave you feeling a bit heavier and sluggish than you'd like.
    To reiterate what most others are saying, don't try anything new but have a good breakfast at least three hours in advance of the race start. I like bagels - lots of carbs for minimal volume. Make sure you're well hydrated in the day or so leading up to the race.

The best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I was thinking of a good dose of pasta the day before, I wouldn't go too heavy on the meat. But then it's normally cycling that I do. I have signed up for the Sprint triathlon in 2 weeks in Monkstown, Co.Cork and hope to manage an Olympic later in the year. For that I think a light breakfast about 7am or weetabix and a few bananas. Plenty of water all morning and a good bottle of energy drink in the bike cage. I'll pop a Gel at the start of the cycle and also at the end just before the run.
    Now I have to find out if a rash vest and shorty wet suit is allowed in these swims. I'm not looking for a podium finish and I don't want to splash out a load of cash on clobber. I just want to be comfy.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of a good dose of pasta the day before, I wouldn't go too heavy on the meat. But then it's normally cycling that I do. I have signed up for the Sprint triathlon in 2 weeks in Monkstown, Co.Cork and hope to manage an Olympic later in the year. For that I think a light breakfast about 7am or weetabix and a few bananas. Plenty of water all morning and a good bottle of energy drink in the bike cage. I'll pop a Gel at the start of the cycle and also at the end just before the run.
    Now I have to find out if a rash vest and shorty wet suit is allowed in these swims. I'm not looking for a podium finish and I don't want to splash out a load of cash on clobber. I just want to be comfy.

2 gels and a bottle of energy drink seems like a lot for a sprint tri. Your body should be able to run for about 1.5 hours without taking anything in. Also, you probably don't need to drink plenty of water all morning. Drinking to thirst should suffice.

http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/tim-noakes-on-the-serious-problem-of-overhydration-in-endurance-sports.html

Maybe it's a psychosomatic thing with me. I'm not fully fit although in good shape and I'm close to the 40 mark so the Gel's seem to work for me. If I'm over doing it, then I'm down 3 quid. It's not something I do every day so I'm not overly worried about the kidneys having to deal it the load.
    The sugar withdrawal downer afterwards can be sorted with a pint in the Bosun.:)

You might go faster without the gels ;)

PGF wrote: »
    You might go faster without the gels ;)

:D
    I better get the blow torch out too and burn the paint off the auld Trek. There are a good 87 grammes to save there.

Now that you mention it, if people here are having "movements" weighing half a Kg, then maybe those Gels I had last year on the ring of Kerry really do have me all bound up.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I would normally have two chicken fillets with some wholegrain pasta and tomato based sauces the day before a race and I'd also slug down some energy drinks.

The morning of the race I would normally have two boiled eggs and 3 or 4 slices of wholegrain toast about 2.5-3 hours before the race. Like others have said its important you don't eat close to the race as you want to have all toilets visits sorted!

With experience you will sort out your own routine and you can make small adjustments for things that work for you. A sprint race is quite short so nutrition will not be as important as longer events and your body will have glycogen stores probably sufficient to get you around.

Advertisement