Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone realise there was a festival on this weekend?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

I didn't.

Galways first Sea festival is on starting on Thursday and running through the weekend.

Looks like there's a few interesting things in there if the weathers decent. There's Yacht sailing,cruise boat trips on the bay, opportunities to try kyaking,scuba diving,snorkling,jet skiing,windsurfing and more. The cost but they're very reasonable,looks like 10 or 15 euro for most things and they last an hour or longer. You have to book for several of them so might be worth looking through the program early, its here :

http://www.galwayseafestival.com/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh this is Galway, isn't there a festival on every weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh this is Galway, isn't there a festival on every weekend?

Not one with a few unusual things that you might not do every weekend as part of it though. :)

Sure there was the Galway African Film Festival last weekend, Conamara Bog Week is on now and and and the big one - International Quilt Festival of Ireland is back 7-9 june

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's another market in woodquay as part of it AFAIK. The last one for the food festival was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, saw the flags on the prom as I was driving past the other day.
    There was a BBQ on, smelled delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, yes. there was a big supplement about it in the middle of last weeks Indo / Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Yes, lots of flags everywhere, something in the paper and a leaflet through the door. That produced my only surprise as I discovered I'm going to be part of it. Lucky I got the leaflet then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Naval vessel LE Aoife and Celtic Explorer open to the public at the docks, Air sea rescue demo with Shannon Helicopter and Lifeboat at Salthill on Saturday at 3-pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

asdfg! wrote: »
    Yes, lots of flags everywhere, something in the paper and a leaflet through the door. That produced my only surprise as I discovered I'm going to be part of it. Lucky I got the leaflet then. :rolleyes:

Gonna leave us in suspense?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The real question is: bouncy castle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There is a funfair in 'South Park Playground'. Must be a very small funfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Gonna leave us in suspense?:)
    It's so boring I think it would be better to leave you in suspense. Then you can imagine me windsurfing or kayaking or jet skiing.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Galways first Sea festival is on starting on Thursday and running through the weekend.

It's not as if it hasn't been in the media over the past month or so: http://advertiser.ie/galway/article/60829/tens-of-thousands-expected-for-mini-volvo-at-june-bank-holiday-weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How many festivals does Galway City have every year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lapin wrote: »

Many.

Many.

I think it's time we created a new festival:

The No festivals this weekend, we need a weekend off festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

It has been well advertised. There have been flags flying in Salthill for the past week and last week there were full page advertisements in The Galway Advertiser and Galway Independant. Let's hope we get good weather for it!

It has been well advertised. There have been flags flying in Salthill for the past week..
    Wonder will Galway City Council fine the organisers for littering the prom?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lapin wrote: »

No one knows. It depends on what your boundaries of Galway are, whether you count the ones that are nationwide, west-of-Ireland based but have something here, and what sort of events something has to be to be counted as a festival.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I think it's time we created a new festival:

The No festivals this weekend, we need a weekend off festival.

It looks like there might be a spare weekend in December: http://www.galwaycafeguide.com/p/festivals-in-galway-city-and-county.html

:D

It looks like there might be a spare weekend in December: http://www.galwaycafeguide.com/p/festivals-in-galway-city-and-county.html

:D

Book it quick!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

It def looks like a great weekend (I would say that, I love the water!) but I'm currently on crutches so no splashing for me :(

It is def a great chance to try out different things and the prices are fantastic (I'm sickened cause I wanted to try SUP, did it once before, just pottering around on flat water, great fun). The weather is grand this weekend, just looking like it'll be overcast most of the weekend but hopefully not too much rain but also very little wind apart from around lunch time tomorrow (taken with a pinch of salt!) so windsurfing might be a bit more stop than go on Sunday and Monday, therefore my advice is go tomorrow if you get a chance, otherwise opt for modes of watery transport that are self motivated, i.e. kayaking, SUP or also great weather for diving, nice and calm :D

please go out and enjoy it for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Disappointed that the Navy is departing tonight, they were supposed to be open to the public for the weeked along with the Celtic Explorer which is now not open so docks will be quite enough, no funfair in South Park either.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Anyone have a contact number for the festival i've tried emailing two of their email adresses and no reply...:confused: trying to book a boat trip. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

This sounds so cool. Are there lockers provided. Where would you leave your stuff while out on the water. You're not going to bring your pants while on the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Anyone know anything about a food fair thats on in salthill? Have been trying to find info on it but having no luck so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Is it this?

Saturday June 1st.

11:00-17:00 ARTISAN FOOD & CRAFT EXPO
    ‘Best of the West’ SALTHILL HOTEL’S ARTISAN FOOD & CRAFT EXPO Salthill Hotel Free Event www.salthillhotel.com

From the http://www.galwayseafestival.com/?page_id=574

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Where the fcuk is all this supposed to be happening?

Wandered all morning down at the docks and nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Checked the event listing and a cruise ship spin on galway bay for 1 hour was there on the paper. Theres nothing happening at the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe we were spoilt for festivals but 2 stands down at the dock a few boats out in the bay sailing randomly and a few people playing in the water down at claddagh is not much of a festival. That's all I could see happening so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing left in Docks now Navy gone and now Celtic Explorer gone, no one in the docks last night I would say the guys that took stands there are mad nothing to keep a crowd there, poor show to be honest

Advertisement