Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conebarrow Pass?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Could anybody tell me where Conebarrow Pass is please?
    I believe it's in the Wicklow Mountains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never heard of it to be honest, but if it exists somewhere in the Wicklow Mts. I'm sure BarryD will know. Where did you hear / read about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Doesn't strike a chord with me, at least not with that spelling? Trying variations: Coanborough, Coneyburrow etc. but draw a blank at present. As Alun says, where did you come across it and in what context? Might help to jog the grey cells.

Hardly a form of Conavalla as in Ceann a Bhealaigh? Stretching it a little..

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Sorry now but you probably weren't expecting the following.
    I came across it in a crossword in Walking World Ireland or at least I think I did....
    The clue was 'A crown and robe for Wicklow pass (10)'
    I took it to be an anagram of the words 'a crown' and 'robe'.
    I have the following letters out of the ten

_o_e_a_r_w

I looked at what might fit in and googled the words. When I googled Conebarrow + Wicklow, I got two results from an english history page which told of wild people coming down from the Wicklow mountains.

anyways, there you go..

I think it's probably Borenacrow :) The saddle between Mullacor and Lugduff.

See here, where the Wicklow Way and the path up Mullacor cross.

http://goo.gl/maps/tMS2s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Methinks you just looked at the summary of the Google results and didn't follow the link either!! The word Conebarrow in that document seems to be relating to a type of barrow - the field monument like a burial mound etc. Reminds of certain navigation situations where people have their wrong location but sometimes insist on fitting the facts as they see them on the ground to the map, despite substantial evidence otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 dfin

Fair play to you all for solving this riddle
    BarryD wrote: »
    Reminds of certain navigation situations where people have their wrong location but sometimes insist on fitting the facts as they see them on the ground to the map, despite substantial evidence otherwise.

I've done that! :D for some reason it seems to happen more often straight out of the car, on the walk in and on forestry tracks. Its amazing how far I'll walk along a particular track, expecting some feature before I admit I'm wrong and walk back. Embarassing when with others and a real pain if you have big bags etc. Of course has happened once or twice on the hill too, but it's somehow less annoying and I'm more likely to pick it up quicker when the navigating part of the brain has warmed up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Methinks you're correct BarryD but thanks for your time anyway.
    And thanks a mill Alun for your reply, twas wreckin' my head.
    If I win the prize, I'll dedicate a boot to each of ye.
    Thanks again everyone! :)

No problem :) Good luck with the crossword, my wife won a pair of runners a couple of years ago on that one. Mind you, I solved 99% of the clues, but she claimed the prize because she sent it in !

Advertisement