Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rang dog warden nothing done

• 28-05-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a new estate, a few of the neighbours think that it's okay to leave their dogs out loose, constantly.

They chase cars, people, and have developed into sort if a pack, almost like wild dogs, where if one of them goes the rest follow. I can't walk my dog ouside because we are being attacked by atleast 4 dogs, one maybe two I could handle but with 4 it is just mayhem so I have to put him in the car and drive outside if the estate before we can go walking and then do the same when we are coming back. The digs are also left outside all night so they walk around barking at all hours.

I rang the dog warden and I didn't even have to mention the owners names he knew exactly who I was talking about, where the lived etc. He has had numerous complaints and has been out number outs times over the last couple of years. I rang last Monday week, the dogs were in for a while one day and out again a couple of hours later. So assume the dog warden came and they took them in for a while.

In fairness he knows this happens everytime because he said this is what they do. Do why doesn't he just take the dogs, they are not makin an effort and the dogs have been causing nuisance here for years but people just gave up calling because it didn't seem like anything was being done about it. I am going to ring again tomorrow and see what the story is but has anyone dealt with an issue like this. They have no shelter as they are left out constantly, they are causing a number of nuisances, chasing cars, chasing and barking at people. Also I feel they are a danger to the kids in the estate, due to their wildness and the pack that has developed.

I am beginning to wonder if the dog warden is afraid to do anything because these people shall we say have a bit of a repuatation. I mean shouldn't they atleast have been fined at this stage after many complaints, he has been around atleast once every 3 months in the last few years. Shouldn't something have been done by now other than warning visits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the problem has a lot to do with so many dogs being surrendered because they're unwanted or people are leaving them behind when they emigrate and the pounds and rescues are overwhelmed with dogs that desperately need homes. I'd say it's just easier to turn a blind eye to roaming dogs that are being fed and not badly neglected in order to cope with the numbers in pounds.

I don't agree with roaming dogs either and I dread to see them wander out in front of traffic. The thing about taking dogs off a certain type of owner is that they'd probably just go out and get another dog and start the cycle all over again. I've been in the same situation as you and it's very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I think the problem has a lot to do with so many dogs being surrendered because they're unwanted or people are leaving them behind when they emigrate and the pounds and rescues are overwhelmed with dogs that desperately need homes. I'd say it's just easier to turn a blind eye to roaming dogs that are being fed and not badly neglected in order to cope with the numbers in pounds.

I don't agree with roaming dogs either and I dread to see them wander out in front of traffic. The thing about taking dogs off a certain type of owner is that they'd probably just go out and get another dog and start the cycle all over again. I've been in the same situation as you and it's very frustrating.

It's very frustrating as that's the only issue with the estate. They have one that they keep in the house most of the day, but for some strange reason put out to roam around at night, he is left out all night and goes around barking, the poor little thing, he's only looking to be let in but then he sets off the other dogs and the barking can go on for an hour plus. They seem to be letting him out more and more so I assume he will eventually end up roaming constantly like the rest.

Your right they would just go and get other dogs, there used to be more, one l
    beautiful little dobie who died of Parvo, another died from some sort of poisoning I believe, they just go out and get more. Of course the dogs left running about are mixed breeds, they actually have more, the purebreds are kept in the backgarden:rolleyes:

Don't know if I will bother ringing the dog wardens again at all, like you said they will just get more, horrible to see dogs being treated like this. The lack of human contact, kindness and just being left to fend for themselves has turned them into wild dogs. They have also being worrying cattle so things can only go downhill from here for them as if things weren't bad enough, they all meet a horrible end because of their poor excuses of owners. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

When I was a young un it was quite usual to see neighbours dogs out and about without any owner bothering - bringing my dog for a walk was scary as many of the dogs would have a go - nowadays I'm in a more rural area I rarely see a roaming dog and if I do someone is missing it - you see the farmers don't ask questions if a dog wanders on to there land they will shoot and are within their rights to do so this is number one deterrent for not allowing your pet free reign here - in a more built up area bites or attacks are possible and if an owner is content to let the animal roam there is also the problems of dog doo everywhere and the possibility the dog will be knocked over. The dog warden seems like a chocolate teapot not use or ornament have you tried the animal prevention of cruelty they may be able to prosecute, remove dogs and ensure the owners don't have them again in future - or am I expecting some sort of Ideal here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Pretzill wrote: »
    When I was a young un it was quite usual to see neighbours dogs out and about without any owner bothering - bringing my dog for a walk was scary as many of the dogs would have a go - nowadays I'm in a more rural area I rarely see a roaming dog and if I do someone is missing it - you see the farmers don't ask questions if a dog wanders on to there land they will shoot and are within their rights to do so this is number one deterrent for not allowing your pet free reign here - in a more built up area bites or attacks are possible and if an owner is content to let the animal roam there is also the problems of dog doo everywhere and the possibility the dog will be knocked over. The dog warden seems like a chocolate teapot not use or ornament have you tried the animal prevention of cruelty they may be able to prosecute, remove dogs and ensure the owners don't have them again in future - or am I expecting some sort of Ideal here?

I suppose I could try the ISPCA and see if they would be willing to investigate. A ban on owning pets is only handed down to those who have inflicted the worst kinds of cruelty and tbh it's not really enforced afterwards so I don't think anyone should be holding their breath waiting for any kind of result that way.

This is just another kind of antisocial behaviour which is plauging this country, the animals and the neighbours are the ones who suffer and the owners well, they just don't give a crap.

Advertisement