Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if you rent a place that's above rent supplements limit?

• 28-05-2013 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

My partner and I are currently unemployed and on SW and are starting college in September, we will be switching to BTEA then. We live in Carlow atm and will be moving to Dublin for college and we're just a bit confused about how rent allowance works because we've never used it before. The max rent p/m in the area we need to be is €650. Was just wondering if we were to rent a place with a friend where the rent is between €800 - €900 (the average for 2 bedroom apartments in the area) could we still avail of rent allowance and/or pay extra towards the rent? The friend is in full-time employment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Obro

ShelTomato wrote: »
    My partner and I are currently unemployed and on SW and are starting college in September, we will be switching to BTEA then. We live in Carlow atm and will be moving to Dublin for college and we're just a bit confused about how rent allowance works because we've never used it before. The max rent p/m in the area we need to be is €650. Was just wondering if we were to rent a place with a friend where the rent is between €800 - €900 (the average for 2 bedroom apartments in the area) could we still avail of rent allowance and/or pay extra towards the rent? The friend is in full-time employment.

Yes, you can pay the difference yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Rates...
    The rent paid to your landlord (that is, your contribution plus your Rent Supplement) must not be above the maximum rent limit set for your county or area. The maximum rent limit for your county is set by the Department of Social Protection (DSP). However, the Community Welfare Office may set lower rates within these limits. There is a maximum rent limit for each area (see below). If your actual rent is higher than the local maximum, you may be refused Rent Supplement entirely.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Balagan wrote: »
    Rates...
    The rent paid to your landlord (that is, your contribution plus your Rent Supplement) must not be above the maximum rent limit set for your county or area. The maximum rent limit for your county is set by the Department of Social Protection (DSP). However, the Community Welfare Office may set lower rates within these limits. There is a maximum rent limit for each area (see below). If your actual rent is higher than the local maximum, you may be refused Rent Supplement entirely.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's not like we're purposely gonna pick a high rent place it's just the reality of the price of 2-bedroom places in the area. I was hoping though if we were sharing with someone and the rent was split 3 ways (say the rent was €900 so it would be €600 pm for me and the bf) that we could get still get rent allowance and the friend pay the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

just wondering if someone could give me some advice or help. I have been accepted on a science course in DCU full time and been told I will definately get the BTEA.

However, I have been living with my parents until recently, I had to move out for family reasons. I am staying in a friends house and I will have to rent a place, I don't know how I will afford to pay college and rent. Would I be entitled to rent allowance does anyone know?

I read you have to be paying rent before you get the btea? is this the case?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's not like we're purposely gonna pick a high rent place it's just the reality of the price of 2-bedroom places in the area. I was hoping though if we were sharing with someone and the rent was split 3 ways (say the rent was €900 so it would be €600 pm for me and the bf) that we could get still get rent allowance and the friend pay the difference.

Just be aware that the friends income will also be assessed in calculating the contribution you & bf will have to pay. That may make a big difference. In some areas, if there's a wage-earner in the gaff, no rent allowance is paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ladygem

Rent limits allowed are too low.... can't find decent accommodation at limits set so landlords and tenants lie on forms, saying accom is at correct price and pay diff on the sly (landlords tell you this is done all the time) ... this perpetuates the problem... social welfare then thinks you can get a nice 2 bedroom apt in Kerry for 75 eu a week! I think they should look at realtor listings and review limits frequently .... sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ladygem wrote: »
    Rent limits allowed are too low.... can't find decent accommodation at limits set so landlords and tenants lie on forms, saying accom is at correct price and pay diff on the sly (landlords tell you this is done all the time) ... this perpetuates the problem... social welfare then thinks you can get a nice 2 bedroom apt in Kerry for 75 eu a week! I think they should look at realtor listings and review limits frequently .... sigh

I have been given 12 weeks to find somewhere new to live as my rent is 25 euro above the limit!! Now I already pay 2/3rds of the rent myself (SW pay 1/3) but that makes no difference seemingly!! I have been told though that the limits are being reviewed in June as people are having trouble finding places below or at the limits so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Agreed. I can't find anywhere that accepts rent allowance that's within the limits, 1 bedroom for just me and the OH or 2 bedroom if we were to share with the friend. Glad I started looking now cos I was gonna wait til August to start looking and it looks like it's gonna take a while :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladygem

Yes, sadly it has become the norm .... the system needs to be revamped :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Yes, sadly it has become the norm .... the system needs to be revamped :(

You could ask the greedy cnut... sorry, landlord, to lower the rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

theUbiq wrote: »
    You could ask the greedy cnut... sorry, landlord, to lower the rent?

My LL has already lowered my rent 3 times to try and fall inline with the rent limits!

Advertisement