Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Guinea Pig under shed!

• 28-05-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

my guinea pig has just gone in under the shed (Thanks to my 6 year old) how the hell am I going to get her out????? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the guinea pig attracted to? My brother's guinea pig really likes the sound of rustling bags as it means food. :)

Block off all but one entrance and put its cage at that entrance. Put food in the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Rustling of veg packets usually make ours come running. If that doesn't work you could put a box or something dark at the edge, then use a broom handle maybe to give him a little push towards it, hopefully that would spook him into running into the box. Obviously don't stress him too much though.

Or maybe leave food in the box and give him time to come out on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

uh oh! we had lots of these types of crises when I was growing up - we had a shed our guinea pigs could hide under and it was very tricky getting them out again - my dad used to put two planks of wood down in a v shape and put some food at the end, the guinea pigs will toddle along into the open v because they won't sense they're being trapped and when they get to the narrow but you can corner them and scoop them up. We also had to lie on our bellies and poke the sweeping brush handle under the shed to scare them along into the v-trap!
    poor piggies ! I hope you get your little guy back

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

...just remembered! eventually my dad nailed chicken wire all around the bottom of the shed so they were cut off from getting in there... its worth doing if you can x Em

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Niamh42

Thanks for all the replies, Guinea is now safe and sound in her hutch, we put her little house with some apple in it beside the shed and that and a broom got her out in the end. The chicken wire is a good idea and i am thinking of getting a small enclosure for them aswell so they will be safe on the grass. phew.......way to much excitment for a Tuesday evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Niamh42 wrote: »
    The chicken wire is a good idea and i am thinking of getting a small enclosure for them aswell so they will be safe on the grass.
    Make sure it has roof to keep birds and cats away from them.

Advertisement