Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Lost World Trailer

• 28-05-2013 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

im loving it :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So... Super Sonic Galaxy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

reminded me of sonic xtreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you told me 20 years ago that Sega would release a Sonic game and it'd be exclusive to Nintendo consoles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So are there Nintendo guys working on this?

The main thing about Sonic that I think doesn't translate to 3D is his character's all about speed which is hrd to do in any kind of 3D open world. Like I know I don't exactly walk around in the first sonic admiring the scenery. It's pretty much full speed ahead until get to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Sonic died for me the day they abandoned the 2D side scrolling of the original games and try as I might, I've yet to play a post 2D Sonic that I enjoy.

Sonic 4 Part 1, though the intentions were clearly good, the execution was not. Awful physics being the main problem. No fluidity to the movement at all. Being able to stand perfectly still a quarter of the way up a loop in a Sonic game is just wrong. The homing air attack is something that still hasn't ****ed off either. The next one was an improvement but still not even close to the original Megadrive games.

Sonic Generations was a step back in the right direction, but was still a bit too close to modern Sonic for my liking.

I hate that Sonic talks. Some characters should just remain silent, like Link. I don't include the cartoons in this by the way which I actually quite liked, they were just alternate universey enough for me to not connect them to the games. Plus, I was a child.

This new one looks like it's trying to do the old school look as well which can only be a good thing, but as with any Sonic game I have low expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If it's as good as the last Nintendo exclusive Sonic (Sonic Colours) then it'll be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CastorTroy wrote: »

The main thing about Sonic that I think doesn't translate to 3D is his character's all about speed which is hrd to do in any kind of 3D open world. Like I know I don't exactly walk around in the first sonic admiring the scenery. It's pretty much full speed ahead until get to the end.
    The biggest misunderstanding there is (and comes up with every new sonic game). The old(and best) sonic games weren't very fast games. They had fast sections but they were more like little rewards. The games themselves had a massive amount of slow platforming with lots of level exploration since there could be multiple paths to the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it's happened before but it's just always strange seeing that line at the end of the trailer "Exclusively on Nintendo Systems".

Who thought they would see the day, back when SEGA do what Nintendon't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Doesn't look that great yet. But time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

No. It's Sonic Team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As said Sonic was never about speed and most levels had to be approached slowly with the speedy bits being rewards for getting through the platforming sections. What sets Sonic apart is that his movement is entirely based on inertia. Sega need to slow the game down because if you are going too fast you have no control over Sonic and it's just not fun.

Zooming the camera out in this game seems like a good idea, you have more idea of where Sonic is in 3D space and hopefully that will translate into more control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sonic died for me the day they abandoned the 2D side scrolling of the original games and try as I might, I've yet to play a post 2D Sonic that I enjoy.

Sonic 4 Part 1, though the intentions were clearly good, the execution was not. Awful physics being the main problem. No fluidity to the movement at all. Being able to stand perfectly still a quarter of the way up a loop in a Sonic game is just wrong. The homing air attack is something that still hasn't ****ed off either. The next one was an improvement but still not even close to the original Megadrive games.

Sonic Generations was a step back in the right direction, but was still a bit too close to modern Sonic for my liking.

I hate that Sonic talks. Some characters should just remain silent, like Link. I don't include the cartoons in this by the way which I actually quite liked, they were just alternate universey enough for me to not connect them to the games. Plus, I was a child.

This new one looks like it's trying to do the old school look as well which can only be a good thing, but as with any Sonic game I have low expectations.

Agreed on all counts

Advertisement