Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English, personal writing a dialogue story?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

For personal writing can i write in a shakespearen style like writing dialogues in which only the characters talk, also what structure should i use for speeches? my examiner said something about SCEM, im so nervous because English is my first exam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Wouldn't recommend doing a dialogue option, just do a short story based one if all possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Don't do that. You'll ruin out of things to say and it'll get repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

For personal writing can i write in a shakespearen style like writing dialogues in which only the characters talk, also what structure should i use for speeches? my examiner said something about SCEM, im so nervous because English is my first exam

SCEM is Structure, Content, Expression, Mechanics. These are the headings under which you are marked in your English exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

I don't recommend doing a dialogue for an essay-based questions but if you want to get some brownie points, you could add in a short dialogue, but remember to have an essay-styled composition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

If you're doing a speech, start off with "Chairperson, Fellow speakers, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am here to propose/oppose the motion that...." something like that. Then, state your 3/4 main points e.g. "My first point is.....".

Make a mind map of points and try to expand them using a technique called SAEL, which my teacher taught us.
    Statement: What your point is.
    Analysis: Expanding on it. Asking yourself why it's true. This is the most important part, that will lengthen your point.
    Explanation: Using an example or situation in which it could arise.
    Link: Say it's relevance to the motion.

At the end, repeat what you have talked about and finish with a closing sentence "Thank you for listening".

You could also try introducing a metaphorical question, "does.... really work?" Then you answer it by sating Yes/No and why it does/doesn't. If you can include a quote from someone that's famous, that usually gives you extra brownie points. I quoted Rocky Balboa in a speech about teenagers participating in sport and my teacher read it out for the class :)

Hope that helps a bit. If you are doing a short story, I would NOT recommend that you do a full dialogue, maybe just a short one if necessary.

• Advertisement

If you're doing a speech, start off with "Chairperson, Fellow speakers, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am here to propose/oppose the motion that...." something like that. Then, state your 3/4 main points e.g. "My first point is.....".

Make a mind map of points and try to expand them using a technique called SAEL, which my teacher taught us.
    Statement: What your point is.
    Analysis: Expanding on it. Asking yourself why it's true. This is the most important part, that will lengthen your point.
    Explanation: Using an example or situation in which it could arise.
    Link: Say it's relevance to the motion.

At the end, repeat what you have talked about and finish with a closing sentence "Thank you for listening".

You could also try introducing a metaphorical question, "does.... really work?" Then you answer it by sating Yes/No and why it does/doesn't. If you can include a quote from someone that's famous, that usually gives you extra brownie points. I quoted Rocky Balboa in a speech about teenagers participating in sport and my teacher read it out for the class :)

Hope that helps a bit. If you are doing a short story, I would NOT recommend that you do a full dialogue, maybe just a short one if necessary.
    That's some really helpful tips there! :rolleyes:

That's some really helpful tips there! :rolleyes:

:) Do you mean that it actually WAS helpful, or was it sarcastic? I know it sounds a bit obvious but it works pretty effectively! You'd be surprised by the amount of people who think they can write a speach and start with "Howya"

:) Do you mean that it actually WAS helpful, or was it sarcastic? I know it sounds a bit obvious but it works pretty effectively! You'd be surprised by the amount of people who think they can write a speach and start with "Howya"
    Helpful to students who need the information, but I don't need it. Lol, you know me too well, but I wans't sarcastic :).

Helpful to students who need the information, but I don't need it. Lol, you know me too well, but I wans't sarcastic :).

Yeah, I kind of guessed you knew :-) but no harm in helping others! It's one of the few things I'm good at! I've done a few real debates as well, so I enjoy doing it.

Advertisement