Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timmartin7510

Sky expresses interest in accessing ESB and Vodafone’s new fibre network

Sky expresses interest in accessing ESB and Vodafone’s new fibre networkSky expresses interest in accessing ESB and Vodafone’s new fibre network
    Broadcaster and broadband provider Sky, which is currently trialling fibre services in Ireland, has told Siliconrepublic.com that it would hope to be able to gain access to ESB and Vodafone’s new €450m fibre network.

ESB and Vodafone this week announced a €450m deal for the mobile operator to use ESB’s electricity cables to bring broadband to rural areas across Ireland.

The joint venture agreement is aiming to bring broadband speeds of 200Mbps up as high as 1,000Mbps through a fibre-to-building network in an attempt to make Ireland home of one of the fastest networks in the world.

Following the announcement incumbent operator Eircom said that it was sticking to its €400m investment plan to bring fibre to 1.4m homes in Ireland. Its network currently passes 900,000 premises, including the 50 locations announced by ESB and Vodafone.

Eircom said that it intends to seek the same level of access other operators will have to ESB infrastructure like potholes and ducts that will be provided to the new joint venture.

Speaking with Siliconrepublic.com a spokesperson for Sky, which launched broadband services in Ireland last year, said that the company is also preparing to launch fibre services and is trialling different technologies.

“We now have 6pc of the Irish broadband market and we are the fastest growing ISP in the country.”

The company currently accesses Eircom’s wholesale network through a relationship with BT Ireland.

“We’re currently carrying out trials for the provision of fibre services which we will only roll out when we believe it is fit for purpose.

“We welcome the ESB and Vodafone joint venture and view it as a positive development in the market.

“We are hopeful that the ESB/Vodafone joint venture’s infrastructure will be also open to providing fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory access to other operators,” the spokesperson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Illinformed

I was speaking to a girl in Sky Ireland today and she confirmed that the fibre product
    would be released by the end of this year.

Ive been hearing from them for quite sometime now that there product was on the way but no confirmed timeline.

Hope this helps people holding out for the Sky Fibre....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I was speaking to a girl in Sky Ireland today and she confirmed that the fibre product

Ive been hearing from them for quite sometime now that there product was on the way but no confirmed timeline.

Apt username? :pac:

Ha!
    I've just had an Eircom guy at the door saying that there is no way Sky are getting the broadband product.

Something about Sky not letting Eircom have channels for there is tv!

I'm so confused 😭

• Advertisement

­

Well that's bull, eircom are legally obliged to sell to them.if they wanted, fact is they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ha!
    I've just had an Eircom guy at the door saying that there is no way Sky are getting the broadband product.

I'm so confused 😭

Sounds like he's confused too. That's just complete nonsense being spouted by someone who is on commission working for a sales company and not eircom directly.

He knows less about it than you probably do.

Eircom Wholesale will sell the product to anyone who wants to use it, Vodafone, Magnet, BT, Imagine, UTV, Digiweb and possibly a few others all already use it.

The only logical explanation for this is that Sky will start re-selling it as soon as other companies' initial 12 or 18 month contracts run out i.e. Sky doesn't want to pay for installations but will take switchers.

Sky also wouldn't take new sign ups who didn't already have an eircom line when it came to ADSL products and there was absolutely nothing stopping them from taking orders for new lines, Vodafone do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Ha!

I'm so confused 😭

Eircom sales rep in lies shocker...

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

By the time Sky get their act together if ever there'll be no customers left to sign up :p
    I switched over to Vodafone & my line went over from Sky this morning.
    My broadband went for a gigantic 2.60 to a miserable 12.85.
    Sorry I left Sky now :D

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm really unsure of eircom as they've shafted me in the past.
    Is that the fibre product from Vodafone?
    If so you surly have a 14 day cooling off period before contact kicks in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm really unsure of eircom as they've shafted me in the past.
    Is that the fibre product from Vodafone?
    If so you surly have a 14 day cooling off period before contact kicks in!

I think the poster was being sarcastic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

amdaley28 wrote: »
    By the time Sky get their act together if ever there'll be no customers left to sign up :p
    I switched over to Vodafone & my line went over from Sky this morning.
    My broadband went for a gigantic 2.60 to a miserable 12.85.

Mine went from 1.3Mb with sky to 24Mb with vodafone fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

markad1 wrote: »
    Mine went from 1.3Mb with sky to 24Mb with vodafone fibre.

Is 24Mb low with fibre.
    I thought it would be higher than that ?
    My fibre isn't switched on yet.Due this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

That appears to be their whole business strategy. They have let eircom or Vodafone pay for all the fibre installations and then they will enter the market with great deals for switching your fibre to them just when people are coming out of their 18 month fibre contracts. It is a very cheeky strategy but it will probably work with people like me, who have Sky TV already, if they offer competitive quad play bundles.

ElNino wrote: »
    That appears to be their whole business strategy. They have let eircom or Vodafone pay for all the fibre installations and then they will enter the market with great deals for switching your fibre to them just when people are coming out of their 18 month fibre contracts. It is a very cheeky strategy but it will probably work with people like me, who have Sky TV already, if they offer competitive quad play bundles.

Its either that(as Ive been saying for months) or they're about to do a UTV and pull out all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Is 24Mb low with fibre.
    I thought it would be higher than that ?
    My fibre isn't switched on yet.Due this week.

It's low for fibre but it's far better than 1.3Mb:D

ED E wrote: »
    Its either that(as Ive been saying for months) or they're about to do a UTV and pull out all together.

I'd say more the latter given that they just 'merged' the ROI support forum into the generic Sky support forum. Must have got fed up of all the grief they were getting there :P

degsie wrote:
    I'd say more the latter given that they just 'merged' the ROI support forum into the generic Sky support forum. Must have got fed up of all the grief they were getting there 

Sky have locked all their forums in relation to this topic as it's counter productive!! absolute joke

I'm off to Eircom as I've read loads of forums over the last 24 hrs and they've been putting people off for over the past year with (trialing)!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Blahtoblah

Sky Fibre coming in December. Deal has been signed with Eircom, reliably informed of this last month.

Blahtoblah wrote: »
    Sky Fibre coming in December. Deal has been signed with Eircom, reliably informed of this last month.

Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Blahtoblah

You may have seen the new Toy Story themed Sky Broadband adds on TV that started recently. Come the end of December, you will be seeing new adds for Sky Fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You may have seen the new Toy Story themed Sky Broadband adds on TV that started recently. Come the end of December, you will be seeing new adds for Sky Fibre.

Well, if it's as bad as their adsl offering they can keep it.

I don't know why you're all flogging a dead horse here.

Sky don't have fibre, they won't give a launch date. Just change ISP! There are plenty of other good ISPs out there who do offer this service and clearly people want it.

I can't see *any* advantage to sticking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Advantage 1 - it's €10 pm
    Advantage 2 - ring threat to move you get it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

xii wrote: »

Disadvantage 1 - It's rubbish.
    Disadvantage 2 - It's rubbish.
    They tried to give it to me for free too I laughed and told them I'd sooner have a 3G plug in dongle than suffer another day of their dial up speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

well i got bored of waiting also and moved to vodafone fibre getting speeds of 60mbps constantly. Sky offered me 2.65 max and was 10euro more expensive than vodafone fibre because i wasnt in one of their Bt exchanges.
    They really just think they can come in and cream off the Eircom customer base without putting in any investment.

well i got bored of waiting also and moved to vodafone fibre getting speeds of 60mbps constantly. Sky offered me 2.65 max and was 10euro more expensive than vodafone fibre because i wasnt in one of their Bt exchanges.
    They really just think they can come in and cream off the Eircom customer base without putting in any investment.

It seems daft spending all that money on flashy advertising and then offering such an obsolete product.

Sky Broadband in the UK isn't exactly wonderful either though. We'd terrible speeds in London on it and moved back to BT.

http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/sky/reviews/page:all/

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

xii wrote: »

Its 10 euros + 30 euros for the phone line, so thats 40 euros, you can put any shine on it you want, its still 40 euros for slow Sky broadband.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Sky told me last week the end of the year for the Fibre product as trailing was finished up! Was just onto them to cancel and they told me they weren't sure of launch date as trailing was still going on!

And to top it off I got a letter from them yesterday to say as im not a HD customer they are removing the box sets option form my package!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sky told me last week the end of the year for the Fibre product as trailing was finished up! Was just onto them to cancel and they told me they weren't sure of launch date as trailing was still going on!

And to top it off I got a letter from them yesterday to say as im not a HD customer they are removing the box sets option form my package!

I got that letter too. Feckers know I've been watching The Sopranos in chronological order for the first time. Need to hurry up, they'll be gone on the 30th. :pac:

Advertisement