Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sky told me last week the end of the year for the Fibre product as trailing was finished up! Was just onto them to cancel and they told me they weren't sure of launch date as trailing was still going on!

And to top it off I got a letter from them yesterday to say as im not a HD customer they are removing the box sets option form my package!

I got this letter too.

So on top of the €1 price increase this year we lose something we've already been paying for.

Want it back? +€15 a month please!

Cûnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Illinformed

Went to cancel yesterday and guy in the cancellations dept told me that the release date for SKY FIBRE was January 2015. (confirmed last Friday with staff). For the next 3 months I won't have to pay for the landline fee €30 or Broadband fee €10 if I stay. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Went to cancel yesterday and guy in the cancellations dept told me that the release date for SKY FIBRE was January 2015. (confirmed last Friday with staff). For the next 3 months I won't have to pay for the landline fee €30 or Broadband fee €10 if I stay. 😊

Yeah .. heard those porkies before .... I called in December 2013 to cancel and was told it was coming in March 2014 ... :-)
    Happy VF customer since January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

For the next 3 months I won't have to pay for the landline fee €30 or Broadband fee €10 if I stay. 😊
    So does that mean you're getting your phone and broadband for free??If thats the case, think I'll ring in to cancel and get that deal also.

Yeah! I don't have to pay for the line rental or the broadband until January. Give it a shot!

• Advertisement

Vico1612 wrote:
    Yeah .. heard those porkies before .... I called in December 2013 to cancel and was told it was coming in March 2014 ... :-) Happy VF customer since January

I said that to the fella in the cancellations dept and he told me they had to do something! but the ads they've been running don't give me much faith in January for release of Sky Fibre!! I'll be gone to VF in January if I don't hear anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Wudnt believe a word the agent said to you, he did his job by keeping you as a customer

And you got free phone and broadband so fair play

Unless it's in black and white that sky are launching fibre I would not believe it. They have dragged their heels far too long. Ill be leaving sky shortly for Vodafone fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd love to know what the hell they're "trialling". It's an off the shelf product.

BT Ireland could organise everything for them. The access network's eircom and the backhaul would be BT.

The technology side of it would be entirely handled by eircom for the access side of things and probably BT in Sky's case for backhaul.

All this stuff about trials is most likely nonsense.

BT Ireland even advertise the product on their website : http://www.btirelandwholesale.com/whole_prodserve_ngabroadband.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the hell they're "trialling". It's an off the shelf product.

BT Ireland could organise everything for them. The access network's eircom and the backhaul would be BT.

The technology side of it would be entirely handled by eircom for the access side of things and probably BT in Sky's case for backhaul.

All this stuff about trials is most likely nonsense.

BT Ireland even advertise the product on their website : http://www.btirelandwholesale.com/whole_prodserve_ngabroadband.shtml

the probably arent trialling anything now. they are just waiting for the eircom contracts etc to finish so they can come in with a lower price(if it is evenlower) and not have the hassle of having to install fibre, just a straight switch over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

The upgrade to HD for 15 to continue watching boxsets - they have an offer at the moment for 1/2 price HD, so actually 7.50 a month - you get 65 channels in HD AND they release a lot more boxsets that arn't normally available

Seems a good deal

• Advertisement

The upgrade to HD for 15 to continue watching boxsets - they have an offer at the moment for 1/2 price HD, so actually 7.50 a month - you get 65 channels in HD AND they release a lot more boxsets that arn't normally available

Seems a good deal

Get the same as you've had before but pay more!

Cracking deal.

Get the same as you've had before but pay more!

Cracking deal.

Well you wouldn;t have had 65 channels in HD before. Or extra box sets.

So no

Well you wouldn;t have had 65 channels in HD before. Or extra box sets.

So no

No I mean the box sets.

We've access to that already without HD but now you'll need HD to get the box sets.

So you're paying more for the same!

No I mean the box sets.

We've access to that already without HD but now you'll need HD to get the box sets.

So you're paying more for the same!

But it's not the same! 25 cents a day more to have what you had before- fair enough.

But for 25 cents a day, you NOW get 65 channels in HD and another 23 boxsets which you won't have access to before.

Also, the boxsets you had before will now be in HD. You'll also get Sky Sports F1 completely free with the HD subscription, which was normally only available with the Sky Sports subscription.

Really think the positives outweigh the negatives

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

But it's not the same! 25 cents a day more to have what you had before- fair enough.

But for 25 cents a day, you NOW get 65 channels in HD and another 23 boxsets which you won't have access to before.

Also, the boxsets you had before will now be in HD. You'll also get Sky Sports F1 completely free with the HD subscription, which was normally only available with the Sky Sports subscription.

Really think the positives outweigh the negatives

its quite a lot more when you take into account that sky in the uk dont charge separate for hd! if you have the original or variety pack you get 11 hd channels as part of your package, or if you have the family pack you get 50+ all as part of your package AT NO EXTRA COST.

and as for box sets, well lets be honest you can get all of them before sky even list them to watch for free on any smart tv, laptop, phone and so on

there is no positive in the offer, what about people who have no use for hd channels but used the boxsets? yep its win win for them. them being bskyb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

dazdrog wrote: »
    its quite a lot more when you take into account that sky in the uk dont charge separate for hd! if you have the original or variety pack you get 11 hd channels as part of your package, or if you have the family pack you get 50+ all as part of your package AT NO EXTRA COST.

and as for box sets, well lets be honest you can get all of them before sky even list them to watch for free on any smart tv, laptop, phone and so on

there is no positive in the offer, what about people who have no use for hd channels but used the boxsets? yep its win win for them. them being bskyb

The family pack is £5 more expensive than the variety pack. You need this to access boxsets and get the variety (non fta) channels in HD. You also dont get f1 channel for this. If you want sports or movies in HD thats an additional £5.25.

Basically, its not free in the UK, it's just branded differently.

Anyway, apologies, this is completely off topic!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

The family pack is £5 more expensive than the variety pack. You need this to access boxsets and get the variety (non fta) channels in HD. You also dont get f1 channel for this. If you want sports or movies in HD thats an additional £5.25.

Basically, its not free in the UK, it's just branded differently.

Anyway, apologies, this is completely off topic!!!!

not off topic at all, but what i said above was taken straight from the sky site, i think you missed my point. what i said is all included in your monthly subscription, theres not a extra €15 charge for them

321893.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

So is this TV stuff sent over fibre?

yes the box sets for some reason were free in Ireland. now to watch them they want you to fork out 15 euro extra. Yes you are getting HD but if you dont you loose something you had been getting for free on top of a service which is expensive enough already.

yes the box sets for some reason were free in Ireland. now to watch them they want you to fork out 15 euro extra. Yes you are getting HD but if you dont you loose something you had been getting for free on top of a service which is expensive enough already.

They're actually 7.50 not 15 and it IS a premium product

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Its only 7.50 if you haggle.

jca wrote: »
    Its only 7.50 if you haggle.

"Hi guys, I want to avail of the half price 7.50 HD offer"

"No Problem"

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Seems a good deal

65 hd channels? So if I have the sky basic package and HD pack, I get 65 hd channels? WOW thats SUPER! Sadly its not true.

Do you work for Sky?

We are way off topic anyway, this is a thread about Sky's non existent fibre services in the ROI.

The BS (trailing) has been going on for 1.5 years, boy Sky are really want to get this right huh :D

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

15 euro is the standard non-offer price.... anyway I wont say anymore as this is about sky fibre as others have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

degsie wrote: »
    So is this TV stuff sent over fibre?

Yes, but you'll have to get that from one of their competitors.

Sky on demand works great over any of their competitors next generation access products but ironically, it could struggle over Sky's own broadband which is still 1st and 2nd generation ADSL based.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Got a letter from Sky today informing me that from 1st January 2015 my service provider will be changed from British Sky Broadcasting Limited to Sky Ireland Limited. No mention of fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

O'Prez wrote: »
    Got a letter from Sky today informing me that from 1st January 2015 my service provider will be changed from British Sky Broadcasting Limited to Sky Ireland Limited. No mention of fibre.

How long have you left in contract? Its a pity being tied to sky when 70 meg is available

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    How long have you left in contract? Its a pity being tied to sky when 70 meg is available

Til March. One of the lads out the front is right across the road from the cab and getting 50 meg so I'll be getting around the 40 mark I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

O'Prez wrote: »
    Til March. One of the lads out the front is right across the road from the cab and getting 50 meg so I'll be getting around the 40 mark I'd say.

The Eircom website gives pre-qualifiers when you click on the packages.

• Advertisement

The Eircom website gives pre-qualifiers when you click on the packages.

"You can get a maximum of 40Mb download speed". So 4 times faster than what I have with Sky though it's highly unlikely I'll opt for Eircom when the contract is up.

Advertisement