Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

So are Sky gonna install their own lines or piggyback on Eircom or Vodafones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

So are Sky gonna install their own lines or piggyback on Eircom or Vodafones?

Most likely piggy back.

Would cost way too much otherwise.

BSkyB has money to spend... but not on Ireland!

Most likely piggy back.

Would cost way too much otherwise.

BSkyB has money to spend... but not on Ireland!

Ain't that the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My Sky BB has just gone back up to €40, so I'm out. Are there any good switching deals out there? (east Cork BTW)

Vodafone @ €35pm looks promising. Cheers.

My Sky BB has just gone back up to €40, so I'm out. Are there any good switching deals out there? (east Cork BTW)

Will you not have 6 months left on your contract?

• Advertisement

Will you not have 6 months left on your contract?

No, I'm out of contract. I agreed on a 6 month discount when my contract ended, and that has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jay1988

Give sky a call to cancel your broadband friend of mine did yesterday and they are covering his broadband and line rental for the next three months, the person On the phone told him that there doing this to keep customers until January when they are rolling out fibre. So his whole bill is €40 cheaper until January, can't really go wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

jay1988 wrote: »
    Give sky a call to cancel your broadband friend of mine did yesterday and they are covering his broadband and line rental for the next three months, the person On the phone told him that there doing this to keep customers until January when they are rolling out fibre. So his whole bill is €40 cheaper until January, can't really go wrong with that.

They offered my this last year, i fell for it and Fibre never came when they promised it.

They have been trialing for the last 18 months, lots of kinks to work out??? :D

Anything they say now is like the bs that comes out of our politicians mouths, only the gullible fall for it, but there seems to be no shortage :eek:

Its fine if you want slow broadband, take the discount, dont worry be happy.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

They offered my this last year, i fell for it and Fibre never came when they promised it.

They have been trialing for the last 18 months, lots of kinks to work out??? :D

Anything they say now is like the bs that comes out of our politicians mouths, only the gullible fall for it, but there seems to be no shortage :eek:

Its fine if you want slow broadband, take the discount, dont worry be happy.
    In June 2013, one month after FTTC was launched in Ireland I was told by Sky it'd be out that Summer, that turned into Christmas, then to New Years, then to April and then to Summer of this year!

January 2015 now so I wouldn't be hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

In June 2013, one month after FTTC was launched in Ireland I was told by Sky it'd be out that Summer, that turned into Christmas, then to New Years, then to April and then to Summer of this year!

January 2015 now so I wouldn't be hopeful.

In the bitter end I went with Eircom Fibre. 12/.6 to 95/20 and never looked back, buh bye Sky and your bs.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

In the bitter end I went with Eircom Fibre. 12/.6 to 95/20 and never looked back, buh bye Sky and your bs.

Same with me!

I went from solid 16/1 with Sky then to patchy 10/1 and then to Vodafone with 100/20! :)

Still the best telly around though!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

Are you tied into a contract with Sky with that, or are you free to go elsewhere in Jan? Thanks

paulski999 wrote: »
    Are you tied into a contract with Sky with that, or are you free to go elsewhere in Jan? Thanks

I don't think so ( or at least they never told him if he was) I don't have sky broadband personally but if they do bring out this fibre in January I may go for it because I've had nothing but problems with Vodafone since I started with them and I never want to have to deal with eircom again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

So did I. Sky were my worst BB provider in 9 years having BB, awful, avoid like the plague.

Did already, my 6 months are up. Not sure if I want to try them again, I'm only getting 2mb when my line should be good for 10.

Still the best telly around though!

+1

Their constant price hikes wreck my head but it is a premium service after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Any of you who cancelled sky broadband and then got free 3 months.

Was that just broadband (€10) or was it phone (€30) as well?

stevieob wrote: »

30 euro phone aswell as Sky still have to pay Eircom for line rental

30 euro phone aswell as Sky still have to pay Eircom for line rental

Yea I know that. But do you get the phone line rental free when you threaten to cancel?

• Advertisement

Yea I know that. But do you get the phone line rental free when you threaten to cancel?

Nope minimum is 10er off so you'll still pay 30 quid - they might take something off your tv package though

Just cheked my bill. I was actually paying €5 for broadband and €15 for talk/line rental. 1/2 price.

Nope minimum is 10er off so you'll still pay 30 quid - they might take something off your tv package though

+1

Offered €30 until June 2015, then reverts to €40, to include "fibre" when rolled out in Jan, probably will take up offer. No contract...

not likely, i'm on half price tv :D

but the BB is crap so thinking of moving, but if I could get a deal :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulski999 wrote: »
    +1

Offered €30 until June 2015, then reverts to €40, to include "fibre" when rolled out in Jan, probably will take up offer. No contract...

Well then that is a really bad deal!

You could be paying Vodafone just €35 for 100mb/s broadband today!

Yes that is €5 a month more, but your getting way better broadband then with Sky.

And if the price of Sky goes back up to €40, then you will be paying €5 more then Vodafone. So over a period of 12 months, you end paying €30 less with Vodafone and get WAY better service then with Sky.

And they have been promising fibre broadband now for the last 2 years without delivering, why does anyone think this promise will be any different!

I really can't understand why anyone stays in this clearly abusive relationship with Sky. It seems Sky's marketing is highly effective in tricking people.

Also Eircom's line rental doesn't cost €30, it costs €24 retail, Sky doesn't pay that wholesale, I think it is more like €15 but would need to check.

So you aren't really getting the broadband for "free", you are at best getting it for half price. Sky are just playing marketing and sales tricks here!

It's both.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

bk wrote: »

Yes that is €5 a month more, but your getting way better broadband then with Sky.

And if the price of Sky goes back up to €40, then you will be paying €5 more then Vodafone. So over a period of 12 months, you end paying €30 less with Vodafone and get WAY better service then with Sky.

And they have been promising fibre broadband now for the last 2 years without delivering, why does anyone think this promise will be any different!

I really can't understand why anyone stays in this clearly abusive relationship with Sky. It seems Sky's marketing is highly effective in tricking people.

Also Eircom's line rental doesn't cost €30, it costs €24 retail, Sky doesn't pay that wholesale, I think it is more like €15 but would need to check.

So you aren't really getting the broadband for "free", you are at best getting it for half price. Sky are just playing marketing and sales tricks here!

Its the convenience of it all & sky know this.
    People get used to having it around & are afraid of change.
    People like to complain but are afraid to do anything about it.
    We were on sky for television, phone & broadband.
    Were being the operative word.
    Not any more. This house is now a sky free zone & we save about €100 a month into the bargain.

Our phone & broadband in now with vodafone.
    Its cheaper & five times faster.
    Our tv is free to air & I can view my football every night on the internet without any problem.
    There are other ways out there if people are only willing to look.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Its the convenience of it all & sky know this.
    People get used to having it around & are afraid of change.
    People like to complain but are afraid to do anything about it.
    We were on sky for television, phone & broadband.
    Were being the operative word.
    Not any more. This house is now a sky free zone & we save about €100 a month into the bargain.

Our phone & broadband in now with vodafone.
    Its cheaper & five times faster.
    Our tv is free to air & I can view my football every night on the internet without any problem.
    There are other ways out there if people are only willing to look.

Spurs fan I take it........

bk wrote: »

No fan of Sky, as they have dragged their feet on implementing fibre, couple of points though,

At the moment speed is not of utmost concern, am getting 12mb currently. ok but would like fibre obviously, I could go with Vodafone Fibre only for €35 per month (but it's an 18 month contract!!) so at the moment they are offering is €30 for 9 months, with a "promise" that fibre will be implemented in Jan (I know, I know) it then reverts back to €40 in June 2015, (no fixed contract, did ask) so I think I will take the offer of €30 for now, see what happens in new year, and hope that there will be a price war, once Sky enters the Fibre market properly, if not then switch to Vodafone.

If I do my sums with $ky I would pay 9 months x €30 + 9 months x €40 = €630 and with Vodafone Fibre only is €35 x 18 = €630 exactly the same price (but have "free" calls in the evening with Sky, nothing with Vodafone Fibre only, I know I should really ditch the landline, but for now I think it makes sense, as Sky are "promising" Fibre in Jan with calls in evening?? Any flaws in argument, (bar what the hell are you doing on 12mb in this day and age)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Spurs fan I take it........

God no :eek:

Advertisement