Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulski999 wrote: »
    If I do my sums with $ky I would pay 9 months x €30 + 9 months x €40 = €630 and with Vodafone Fibre only is €35 x 18 = €630 exactly the same price (but have "free" calls in the evening with Sky, nothing with Vodafone Fibre only, I know I should really ditch the landline, but for now I think it makes sense, as Sky are "promising" Fibre in Jan with calls in evening?? Any flaws in argument, (bar what the hell are you doing on 12mb in this day and age)

Flaw? Clearly the flaw is that Sky have "promising" Fibre was just 3 months away for the last 2 years!!!

Seriously why do you think this time will be any different?

Would you buy a Fiesta when a Ferrari costs the same price?!!

I'm seriously worried that people are delusional here and are suffering from sort of Stockholm syndrome!

I also don't get this sort of thinking:
    amdaley28 wrote:
    Its the convenience of it all & sky know this.
    People get used to having it around & are afraid of change.
    People like to complain but are afraid to do anything about it.
    We were on sky for television, phone & broadband.

I get the TV thing, specially Sky+ series link and recording, but not the broadband side of things?

Sky's broadband is no more "convenient" then anyone else broadband, it is just significantly slower. Again I'd ask why would you buy a Fiesta when you can get a Ferrari for the same money?
    At the moment speed is not of utmost concern, am getting 12mb currently

While the download speed may not seem like a big difference, don't forget about the upload speed. You could see a jump from just 0.5mb/s to 20mb/s!!

That can make a massive difference. When I went from Smart Telecom ADSL2+ 16/0.6 to UPC 120/10 it was the 20 times increase in upload speed that revolutionised my internet use. It made using cloud services and photo and video uploads SOOOO much easier.

Also I don't really expect there will be a price war. Vodafone are already undercutting Sky and as you mentioned Sky themselves claim that it will cost €40 for their Fibre broadband when introduced, so still more expensive.

Go get the faster speeds from Vodafone/Eircom/UPC now and stop rewarding Sky for offering such a terrible service!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Why do you think some of us are no longer with sky ?
    I moved to Vodafone from sky & my broadband download speed went from 2.5mb to 12.5mb.
    I then went to fibre & my speed went from 12.5mb to 14.5mb.
    God that fibre sure is fast.
    A whole 2mb increase in download speed :eek:
    I can hardly contain my excitement :D

I was told I could expect at least 70mb but I was also led to believe you can get a Ferrari for the price of a Fiesta, well thats what the fellow in Hong Kong said :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Fiesta and Ferrari isn't even a fair comparison.
    Both cars perform adequately on the motorway and can comfortably do 120km/h

It's more like comparing a heavily branded push bike with a little electric motor (Sky) and a Toyota Avensis (FTTC from eircom, Vodafone, Digiweb, Magnet etc)

UPC is more your high performance road car like a BMW or Merc

Over a Gbit/s Fibre to home is your Ferrari and currently unavailable in Ireland, unless you're a business with a budget for it.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Why do you think some of us are no longer with sky ?
    I moved to Vodafone from sky & my broadband download speed went from 2.5mb to 12.5mb.
    God that fibre sure is fast.
    A whole 2mb increase in download speed :eek:
    I can hardly contain my excitement :D

I was told I could expect at least 70mb but I was also led to believe you can get a Ferrari for the price of a Fiesta, well thats what the fellow in Hong Kong said :p

Most people experience a much bigger jump in speed. Youre obviously very far from a cabinet. I'm 650m from a cabinet and getting 70 down and 19 up.

your upload speed will have likely improved 10x or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It may be a problem with what wifi channel you are using on the fibre modem if your line can take 70meg. I had problems with it being 12 megs when i should have been on 90 and the minute I changed the wifi chanel the speed went up to 75meg immediately and has been that ever since.

I was in a friends house this week and she is on the 70 meg fixed profile on vodafone and she was only getting 2.5 -3 meg download . Again i changed the wifi chanel out of curiousity and bam, her speed increased to 65megs and has been that ever since.

Might be worth trying- I always thought Eircom and Vodafone were BS'n me when they said to change wifi chanel on the modem but now I know they werent.

I just gave up waiting on Fibre from Sky. They just seem too backward for my liking. Someone posted here recently that they wanted to get reconnected with Sky and because there was no house number eg 23 Main Street Sky werent able to reconnect them. Vodafone and Eircom can, why arent they at the races

• Advertisement

That's a very good point actually.

Switch off the WiFi on your computer and plug in an ethernet cable directly into the back of the modem and check the speed then.

If the speed's good, then it's definitely a WiFi issue and you may need to change channel or figure out why your neighbours are drowning out your WiFi with their video sender / digisender, baby monitor or leaky microwave :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

amdaley28 wrote: »

Sounds like you have a technical problem there.

Have you directly connected to your router via ethernet and tested the speed then?

As others have pointed out it sounds like you might be having problems with your wifi. Perhaps your laptop is only capable of 802.11b wireless, which would thus limit the speed you can receive via a wifi connection?

Have you checked the Vodafone modem, what speed and profile does it say your connected at? What are your line stats, etc?

Did you enter your phone number in the Eircom line checker, it will tell you what speed your line is profiled for (thus what you should be getting).

To be honest, rather then making smart comments, you should instead be asking people for help with fixing the issues you are obviously experiencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Fibre announcement next Tuesday apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yep......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Source?

jca wrote: »
    Yep......

That wasn't a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

C U Next Tuesday!!!!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

30/09/2015 :rolleyes:

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Most people experience a much bigger jump in speed. Youre obviously very far from a cabinet. I'm 650m from a cabinet and getting 70 down and 19 up.

your upload speed will have likely improved 10x or more.

I am about 1.1km from the cab I would say.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    It may be a problem with what wifi channel you are using on the fibre modem if your line can take 70meg. I had problems with it being 12 megs when i should have been on 90 and the minute I changed the wifi chanel the speed went up to 75meg immediately and has been that ever since.

I was in a friends house this week and she is on the 70 meg fixed profile on vodafone and she was only getting 2.5 -3 meg download . Again i changed the wifi chanel out of curiousity and bam, her speed increased to 65megs and has been that ever since.

Might be worth trying- I always thought Eircom and Vodafone were BS'n me when they said to change wifi chanel on the modem but now I know they werent.

I just gave up waiting on Fibre from Sky. They just seem too backward for my liking. Someone posted here recently that they wanted to get reconnected with Sky and because there was no house number eg 23 Main Street Sky werent able to reconnect them. Vodafone and Eircom can, why arent they at the races

I am using home plugs with ethernet cables.
    If I switch to wi fi the speed gets marginally worse.
    I tried a long ethernet cable from the modem to my pc but that didn't make any difference.I will try my partners laptop with a shorter cable & see what that comes up with.

Now the Vodafone rep who called to the door lied to me on a couple of things.
    She said that I would get at least 70Mb & that there was a cab just over the road from me because she had just driven past it.
    I have used both the Vodafone & Eircom sites to measure my line & they both say the maximum my line can give is 25Mb and there is no cab over the road. The nearest cab is just over 1km away.
    The Vodafone techs are looking at my situation & I am waiting to hear back from them.

Edit:
    Just for fun I just checked my line speed & its now gone up to 3.2Mb up & 24Mb down so someone must have done something.
    Things are looking brighter :)

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a technical problem there.

Have you directly connected to your router via ethernet and tested the speed then?

As others have pointed out it sounds like you might be having problems with your wifi. Perhaps your laptop is only capable of 802.11b wireless, which would thus limit the speed you can receive via a wifi connection?

Have you checked the Vodafone modem, what speed and profile does it say your connected at? What are your line stats, etc?

Did you enter your phone number in the Eircom line checker, it will tell you what speed your line is profiled for (thus what you should be getting).

To be honest, rather then making smart comments, you should instead be asking people for help with fixing the issues you are obviously experiencing.

Come on, relax a small bit will you.
    If I was making smart comments then I mocking no one but myself :P
    We were all getting on grand until you started waving a big mod stick.
    Lifes too short :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Still waiting for the big "Sky fibre announcement".................

They're using the new hot air based fibre services.

As a backup they are using 'invisi-fibe'

• Advertisement

Well they should have plenty of that :rolleyes:

degsie wrote: »
    As a backup they are using 'invisi-fibe'

Sky - Believe in better!

If you believe really hard your fibre might eventually happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 murfinsurfin

My SKY broadband is so bad I find it difficult to download simple pdf forms. I have done all the usual tests, but am now convinced I know what the problem is. I had Perlico, good, taken over by Vodafone, slowly declined to useless. Now I'm in a different house, after a few hiccups I went with Sky. It started well, 16Mbps, but has gradually diminished, today 0.57Mbps. I run on IOS8, Win7, & Ubuntu, all give equal results. Now I have discovered I am using BT Broadband, who, I am told, are Vodafone owned. I know how they work from my time with Perlico. Using a 47 port unit, Perlico used about 12 ports, giving a low contention ratio, Vodafone filled all ports, then doubled up, giving a 94 to one ratio, so 94 customers to a 10Mbps pipe. Even when this increases to a 20 Mbps pipe, it's still woefully slow, especially at peak times.
    I have had Sky tech. on to try to sort my problem, but we both know it's not going to work. Now I think eFibre calls, I can't take this, it takes over a day to download an On Demand 40 min. programme, not on HD.
    Anybody know if their TV service is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GIMP

I got an email from Sky to fill out a survey, questions mainly related to Sky fibre packages, so I am assuming a fibre offer is going to be launched soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

GIMP wrote: »
    I got an email from Sky to fill out a survey, questions mainly related to Sky fibre packages, so I am assuming a fibre offer is going to be launched soon.

You realise how long we've all been hearing this "soon" right?

January 2015... Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Illinformed

I've contacted Sky Ireland again about the fibre product that they are bringing out in January 2015!!!!!
    They are now going on about continuing to do tests on the network.

I've heard this all before and I'm sick to my teeth with the continuious lies that they seem to think they can get away with!

My discount for free Voice&Broadband expires on the 4th of January and ill be signing up to Vodafone and getting in free to air!

Good luck to anyone waiting on this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Illinformed

I've contacted Sky Ireland again about the fibre product that they are bringing out in January 2015!!!!!

I've heard this all before and I'm sick to my teeth with the continuious lies that they seem to think they can get away with!

My discount for free Voice&Broadband expires on the 4th of January and ill be signing up to Vodafone and getting in free to air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Funny that as just last week they gave me 4 months free fibre non contract either and I'm getting 90 megs as we speak so dunno what you're on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timmartin7510

Hey Wild Bunch, what are you smoking!

There is NO Sky fibre in Ireland as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Make sure you cancel one month before

Advertisement