Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Hey Wild Bunch, what are you smoking!

There is NO Sky fibre in Ireland as of yet.

Ehhh yes there is?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ehhh yes there is?

Not officially there isn't. You can't order it from them at the moment.

However I do believe they are "trialling" it at the moment and you might be lucky enough to be on that trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ehhh yes there is?

Nope. I left last month because they couldn't give me a date. You could be trialing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They announced its going live stephens' day did they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Illinformed

ED E wrote:
    They announced its going live stephens' day did they not?

I spoke to them the day before yesterday and they said that they didn't have a launch date and couldn't help me with my enquiry!!

They basically told me I was lucky to be getting the 3 months free Voice&Broadband!

Their customer service skills have a lot to be desired!

• Advertisement

Funny that as just last week they gave me 4 months free fibre non contract either and I'm getting 90 megs as we speak so dunno what you're on about!

Are you sure as Sky have told me on several times that S
    staff were the only ones trailing in fibre upgraded areas?

Are you part of a wider trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Funny that as just last week they gave me 4 months free fibre non contract either and I'm getting 90 megs as we speak so dunno what you're on about!

Post a Speedtest result and post a screenshot of your router's stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Ehhh yes there is?

Sounds like someone is (or wants to be) working for Sky :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Official announcement today in advance of January launch.. Using Eircom's fibre to the cabinet.

I'm still stuck as Eircom still haven't upgraded our local cabinet despite being slap bang in the middle of a so called e-Fibre zone.

• Advertisement

Too little, too late IMHO. I'm with Vodafone now @ €35pm and speed is 8 x faster now than it was with Sky (but I'd imagine their efibre will be the same).

Too little, too late IMHO. I'm with Vodafone now @ €35pm and speed is 8 x faster now than it was with Sky (but I'd imagine their efibre will be the same).

is that ADSL or Fibre that you've got with Vodafone? Whose lines are they using?

lawred2 wrote: »
    is that ADSL or Fibre that you've got with Vodafone? Whose lines are they using?

Fibre. Eircom lines (aren't they all?).

Fibre. Eircom lines (aren't they all?).

lines was probably the wrong word... obviously they all use eircom lines. I meant infrastructure really. Sky primarily use BT at the exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Same set up as Vodafone and anyone else other than UPC.

It's nothing revolutionary, just a 'me too' product.

Watch the ads though! They'll be making out they invented the internet.

For the sake of saving a tiny amount of money, I've no intentions of moving to Sky. Can't really see the point.

lines was probably the wrong word... obviously they all use eircom lines. I meant infrastructure really. Sky primarily use BT at the exchanges.

Ah. Not sure TBH.

SpaceTime wrote: »

Watch the ads though! They'll be making out they invented the internet.

Time to dust down Pierce Brosnan again!

degsie wrote:
    Time to dust down Pierce Brosnan again!

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

fcuk Sky, the weasel Murdoch won't be getting one cent from me if I can help it

if you enjoy having your traffic sniffed by Sky then go-ahead, he is proven to be highly unethical from phone tapping to trying to promoting pay TV piracy to cripple ITV Digital in the UK

and thats just the tip of what this prick is capable of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

kingtiger wrote: »

if you enjoy having your traffic sniffed by Sky then go-ahead, he is proven to be highly unethical from phone tapping to trying to promoting pay TV piracy to cripple ITV Digital in the UK

Nothing slanderous of libellous there whatsoever

• Advertisement

simpsons-murdoch_1944238c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

They only use BT in some exchanges afaik

Basically the way it works is Sky outsource the operation of the network to BT Ireland. So, Sky don't actually do anything, BT do. All Sky would be doing is drawing up the specifications and doing the customer service and sales.

BT have their own DSLAMs in some larger eircom exchanges, however for a lot of customers they'd be using eircom equipment and then handing data back to BT at various points around the country.

Sky pay BT who do some of the network and then BT pay eircom for access to exchanges, cabinets etc.

The fibre to kerb product is :

Sky ... BT Ireland Wholesale ... Eircom Wholesale.
    Basically you'll be getting whatever Sky's paid for, using eircom's access network and BT's backhaul.

Just onto Sky to upgrade to Fibre as an existing customer to be told that there are no DISCOUNTS FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS ONLY NEW CUSTOMERS!!!WOW

They've asked to wait a year for this and now they want €30 for a hub and €50 a month for the fibre product!!!

They really are taking the mick out of there existing customers.

Just onto Sky to upgrade to Fibre as an existing customer to be told that there are no DISCOUNTS FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS ONLY NEW CUSTOMERS!!!WOW

They've asked to wait a year for this and now they want €30 for a hub and €50 a month for the fibre product!!!

This is common practice. Just threaten to cancel.

They always have done with television, so nothing surprising about them doing it with broadband products.

Sky's always been like that, all the effort goes into recruiting new customers. It's a policy that will come back to bite them in what is a very saturated market at this stage. This is especially true for broadband, which they are not market leader in - it's just whatever eircom's wholesaling, so everyone else has it too.

Try getting them to replace a faulty Sky box, even when you're on the top tier packages for years. Your loyalty means nothing to them unless you threaten to cancel all your services and get put through to customer retention and suddenly the attitude changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kingtiger wrote: »

Sigh.

degsie wrote: »
    This is common practice. Just threaten to cancel.

Or go with someone else. They might have too many customers and don't want you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Have spoken to Sky recently.

Yes, Fibre is being rolled out from the New Year, only on a phased basis.(no Date given to me)

All they did was to indicate on may account that I would be interested in receiving Fibre.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

As someone said we will be hit by advertising. I thought it would have happened by now.

• Advertisement

Just received an email saying I qualify for 6 months free fibre broadband. I assume this doesn't include line rental, so "free" means €30 p.m...?

Advertisement