Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just received an email saying I qualify for 6 months free fibre broadband. I assume this doesn't include line rental, so "free" means €30 p.m...?

Yeah, free for them means the broadband cost is free.

Line rental is still €30 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

I got the same email.

Rang the number provided, the Sky customer service said the email is in error and no prices have been agreed yet?!??!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Why_oh_why wrote: »
    I got the same email.

Rang the number provided, the Sky customer service said the email is in error and no prices have been agreed yet?!??!?!

Wasn't it already announced as 50 a month (30 line rental and 20 bb) BUT just 30 LR for first 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Wasn't it already announced as 50 a month (30 line rental and 20 bb) BUT just 30 LR for first 6 months?

You of all ppl should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Please Sky get things right now. You have made a mess of launching of Fibre in Ireland.

Locking the forum on the official Sky Community then and closing the Seperate Irish Section on it.

Now give us a date in January when you are launching

Where? Dublin, Cork, Limerick.

Princing, who is going to have 6 months free fibre service.? New or existing customers. If the latter does it mean the present bills will be reduced for that period of time

Please no bland answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

My Sky Fibre is being installed on Thursday hopefully all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hopefully pricing on the bundles will be competitive, I currently have sky HD inc sports and movies in one room with UPC horizon, broadband and an extra UPC box. Had enough of paying out almost €200 per month for this lot and UPC have just sent a mail saying they will be increasing by €8 per month. Not impressed. Hoping for a good price from Sky for the TV + multiroom x 2 + fibre broadband

F34 wrote: »
    My Sky Fibre is being installed on Thursday hopefully all going well.

Where are you?

airuser wrote: »
    Where are you?

Am in Clonmel. Presume it's available where ever Eircom fibre is.

F34

Thanks for that.

Called Sky, they can fit me next Friday

Just a few more costings to do.

Sky is looking better as UPC is increasing their costs over the next few months

Good luck with the installation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Getting it installed Thursday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I phoned today I'm an existing sky customer and was told I can't get it yet , I'm in bray

It will be interesting to see what speeds one receives.

Eircom "up to" 70M

Vodafone "up to" 100M

Sky "up to" 70M

My opinion around 50M

This is based on the speed promised on NGB and what I actually receive.

peteeeed wrote: »
    I phoned today I'm an existing sky customer and was told I can't get it yet , I'm in bray

Have they given you any information on when you may get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Have they given you any information on when you may get it.
    No , she said 'Eircom need to upgrade their line' I ask her is there a time frame ' she said ' she's not sure when that will be '

peteeeed wrote: »
    No , she said 'Eircom need to upgrade their line' I ask her is there a time frame ' she said ' she's not sure when that will be '

Would suggest you contact Eircom, if you can and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would suggest you contact Eircom, if you can and see what they say.

Eircom retail won't have any info and you can't contact eircom wholesale.

ED E wrote: »
    Eircom retail won't have any info and you can't contact eircom wholesale.

Can you register with the Eircom Community and try from that side. I know it might not be possible from that side either. Worth a try if one wants Fibre.
    Good luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

To those getting Sky installed, are Sky posting you out the modem? This may mean a self install, the KN tech will just sort the NTU with his meter and most likely may not bother plugging in the modem as they will not be paid to do so. Or have you been told or offered for a fee that they'll setup the modem?

I have been told that a "Sky" engineer will call to do the Installation. Presume this is a total service. I did ask was it not a self install? She informed me an Engineer would have to call.

Also informed me it would be a few days before the correct speed would be received.

We will soon see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

To those getting Sky installed, are Sky posting you out the modem? This may mean a self install, the KN tech will just sort the NTU with his meter and most likely may not bother plugging in the modem as they will not be paid to do so. Or have you been told or offered for a fee that they'll setup the modem?

They're posting out the modem. They're also sending out a guy from Sierra to install a fibre ready socket and an extension kit. Then they said it'd be 3 days after that that Eircom would change me over to fibre at the cab.

O'Prez wrote: »
    They're posting out the modem. They're also sending out a guy from Sierra to install a fibre ready socket and an extension kit. Then they said it'd be 3 days after that that Eircom would change me over to fibre at the cab.

I was informed that he, the engineer would bring everything required. Nothing about the 3 days to switch over.

I was informed that he, the engineer would bring everything required. Nothing about the 3 days to switch over.

As was I and was told that it would take 24hrs to be up to full speed, they reckon I can get "up to 100"

F34

Was told that it would take a number of days to reach correct speed. Not to turn off the modem.

The "up to 100`" in your case and "up to 70" in mine will be exciting to watch!

For many years I have said that the ISP's should give realistic speed.

Have had SamKnows Box installed on my line and it is unbelievable how the speed varies throughout the week.

These line are now to be uncontested lines.

If they were, there would be little or now variation in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theyre using sierra? A two part install is a lot messier than the single job knn system.

Existing fibre customers will just need a new modem in the post, everything else will be done automatically without a tech visit.

Hope that I may get KN

I have Sierra for other Sky problems and they were excellent. Could not fault them

ED E wrote: »
    Theyre using sierra? A two part install is a lot messier than the single job knn system.

Exactly what I was thinking, that's asking for trouble with two different crews each looking to blame the other contractor but only one who have direct contact with Eircom who own the lines

Exactly what I was thinking, that's asking for trouble with two different crews each looking to blame the other contractor but only one answerable to Eircom who own the lines

Sky have had poor press regarding the launch of Fibre. Now, if the Installations are poorly done. Then this forum will light up.

For their sake I hope not.

Wi ll see what happens over the next fees weeks. My Install date is next Friday and if that is not up to the standard I will be on here.

• Advertisement

What happens if the KN tech isn't happy with the Sierra work ie where the Sierra tech reckons the NTU should be situated? What happens if it needs additional work after the KN tech, will the customer have to wait for Sierra to return? I can envisage lots of possible issues with having two companies on contract drawing the line at what's their responsibility.

Advertisement