Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

What happens if the KN tech isn't happy with the Sierra work ie where the Sierra tech reckons the NTU should be situated? What happens if it needs additional work after the KN tech, will the customer have to wait for Sierra to return? I can envisage lots of possible issues with having two companies on contract drawing the line at what's their responsibility.

As I said if there are problems, then, Sky will take the flak.

They cannot afford that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If sky REALLY keep on top of both Eircom(thus KNN) and Sierra it'll be fine. But if they slack at all any mistake will turn into a nightmare.

ED E wrote: »
    If sky REALLY keep on top of both Eircom(thus KNN) and Sierra it'll be fine. But if they slack at all any mistake will turn into a nightmare.

Then if problems do arise then we keep after Sky to have the job completed properly.

If one has to complain, kept it simple.

But, let's not cross those bridges, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Here's another thing, a KN tech won't go out of the way for an install when he's not getting paid for the in-house and has no option of getting paid for a data port extension as Sierra are doing them. The NTU will end up at the first socket after the ETU, wherever the electrician cabled to first, upstairs bedroom even, it happens

Here's another thing, a KN tech won't go out of the way for an install when he's not getting paid for the in-house and has no option of getting paid for a data port extension as Sierra are doing them. The NTU will end up at the first socket after the ETU, wherever the electrician cabled to first, upstairs bedroom even, it happens

Sierrra can perform the same in premises tasks that KNN have been doing on eircoms behalf. Assume theyve made arrangements for DPEs to be done.

• Advertisement

Are we all crossing bridges before anything happens.

Has anyone had Sky Fibre installed ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It's around 225m going directly along the footpath from my house to the cabinet and I get 94/18 with Vodafone, I live in an urban-ish area if that's any help as to what speeds you might get.

If Sky charged €40 or even €35 I feel they'd grow significantly in terms of customers.

But no, Sky being sly they charge €50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sierrra can perform the same in premises tasks that KNN have been doing on eircoms behalf. Assume theyve made arrangements for DPEs to be done.

That's not what I'm asking. The KN tech is responsible for the NTU and may not be happy with the location the customer/Sierra tech decided was the best place for the NTU. KN regularly move the NTU to suit the customer, but it's not always possible

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If Sky charged €40 or even €35 I feel they'd grow significantly in terms of customers.

But no, Sky being sly they charge €50!

Yes, while I haven't looked into the pricing of the combined TV + BB packages [1]
    looking at the broadband only packages, they aren't competitive at all. UPC's new high end package completely blows them away.

Sky - €50 - upto 100mb/s [2] - Offpeak landline calls
    UPC - €45 - 240mb/s - unlimited national and mobile calls at anytime.

So UPC costs €5 per month less, is at least 2 and a half times faster and gives you mobile calls at anytime! I can't see any broadband only customers taking Sky over UPC if available to them.

[1] as I have no interest in paying for TV, the majority of which you can get free anyway! FreeSat/Saroview

[2] up to 100mb/s depending on your distance from the cabinet, it can be as slow as 7mb/s!! UPC isn't distance limited, most people really will get 240mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bk wrote: »
    Yes, while I haven't looked into the pricing of the combined TV + BB packages

Sky really bring very little to the table in terms of infrastructure except perhaps expensive marketing and a 3 euro a month cheaper deal.

Hardly earth shattering...

• Advertisement

All the infrastructure (telecoms) is owned by Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

bk wrote: »
    Yes, while I haven't looked into the pricing of the combined TV + BB packages [1]
    looking at the broadband only packages, they aren't competitive at all. UPC's new high end package completely blows them away.

Sky - €50 - upto 100mb/s [2] - Offpeak landline calls
    UPC - €45 - 240mb/s - unlimited national and mobile calls at anytime.

So UPC costs €5 per month less, is at least 2 and a half times faster and gives you mobile calls at anytime! I can't see any broadband only customers taking Sky over UPC if available to them.

[1] as I have no interest in paying for TV, the majority of which you can get free anyway! FreeSat/Saroview

[2] up to 100mb/s depending on your distance from the cabinet, it can be as slow as 7mb/s!! UPC isn't distance limited, most people really will get 240mb/s

Exactly! They're a joke and this is coming from a very long time subscriber of Sky's.

UPC is just no comparison.

Hopefully this ESB/Vodafone rollout will speed up then hopefully that'll be no competition for either of them and maybe an all out price war will begin?

One can only hope....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

airuser wrote: »
    All the infrastructure (telecoms) is owned by Eircom.

Just the access part for 3rd party (wholesale) providers, or so I thought?

Sky uses BT backhaul afaik.

degsie wrote: »
    Just the access part for 3rd party (wholesale) providers, or so I thought?

Sky uses BT backhaul afaik.

I believe that BT is for NGB and they will be using Eircom wholesale for Fibre.

Will be interesting to see what speed I get.

Vodafone say up to 100

Eircom say up to 70

I believe from some get aroun here 50.

I am about 500 m from the box. A friend is 50 m from the same box and getting 60M

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I believe that BT is for NGB and they will be using Eircom wholesale for Fibre.

Will be interesting to see what speed I get.

Vodafone say up to 100

Eircom say up to 70

I believe from some get aroun here 50.

I am about 500 m from the box. A friend is 50 m from the same box and getting 60M

Eircom say 100

boardzz wrote: »
    Eircom say 100

My line check with Eircom informs me "up to 70"

Do not believe in any Stats from ISP's.

The only speed is what one gets after 10 days.

Originally promised "up to 12". My actuL speed averages 8.65. Have a SamKnows Box on my system. It shows the varying speeds I get on a NGB line

boardzz wrote: »
    Eircom say 100
    My line check with Eircom informs me "up to 70"

Do not believe in any Stats from ISP's.

The only speed is what one gets after 10 days.

Originally promised "up to 12". My actuL speed averages 8.65. Have a SamKnows Box on my system. It shows the varying speeds I get on a NGB line

Vodafone, at least on their site, ignore the prequal results and quote up to 100Mb for 1Mb line and a 100Mb line despite knowing the difference.

If the eircom checker spits out 70Mb you are very likely to manage a 60Mb sync, with an ok chance of 70. Bear in mind the actual throughput will be marginally lower than the sync speed.

As I said I believe the speed on the day. Not what sales folk so or sites.

Recently read a report from SamKnows saying that on average the speed one actually receives is about 75% promised.

This I believe was not Fibre. On that basis my NGB speed is about correct told 12 getting 8.65.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As I said I believe the speed on the day. Not what sales folk so or sites.

Recently read a report from SamKnows saying that on average the speed one actually receives is about 75% promised.

This I believe was not Fibre. On that basis my NGB speed is about correct told 12 getting 8.65.

My cab isn't complete yet. I'm 500m from it.
    Realistically I'm expecting around 60 going by stats from customers at similar distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

kaizersoze wrote: »
    My cab isn't complete yet. I'm 500m from it.
    Realistically I'm expecting around 60 going by stats from customers at similar distances.

no. im 600m and my line syncs at 50/15 and vodafone claim eircom have it locked to 50/15

333670.PNG

• Advertisement

Well if Eicom have locked it at that. Then unless is locked in the same manner for their own customer one could have an action against Eircom.

Now on the other hand that is that all VF will pay for, that a different matter.

Its eircom wholesale that lock it, not retail. All the providers have the same "rules" applied to them including eircom retail.

With old ADSL the prequal was a suggestion, not a limit. Seems it might be a limit for VDSL. Daz if your prequal happened to be low whenever it was run, especially on the upstream, then they couldnt go above 50_15 as all other profiles are 20Mb us. The fact that they cant use 50_20 suggests thats the limiter.

If you put your number into the eircom website does it say 50 or 60?

Its eircom wholesale that lock it, not retail. All the providers have the same "rules" applied to them including eircom retail.

With old ADSL the prequal was a suggestion, not a limit. Seems it might be a limit for VDSL. Daz if your prequal happened to be low whenever it was run, especially on the upstream, then they couldnt go above 50_15 as all other profiles are 20Mb us. The fact that they cant use 50_20 suggests thats the limiter.

If you put your number into the eircom website does it say 50 or 60?

as ive broadband only i dont have a phone number, when i check the eircom site with my address it isays im in a eircom efiber area but tells me nothing on speeds

EDIT :- You can get a maximum of 50Mb download speed

now ive had magnet and digiweb both on the same line before i had vodafone installed and also beofre vectoring came into play and i was synced at 50/20 i could prob dig up the stats on them connections

Test are re-run every few months, if there happened to be noise on the line for whatever reason at the time the test ran then your lines rating would have decreased.

Give them a call and ask them to have it manually retested by eircom, should get it back to the previous prequal of 60.

Test are re-run every few months, if there happened to be noise on the line for whatever reason at the time the test ran then your lines rating would have decreased.

Give them a call and ask them to have it manually retested by eircom, should get it back to the previous prequal of 60.

ive already asked that to happen a few months ago and they tried tell me i needed a installer to check the line and that there would be a €100 call out charge

ill say it again tomorrow when i ring them to pay bill cheers

EDIT:-

this was my magnet connection

Line Rate (Down / Up) 50174 Kbps / 20478 Kbps
    Noise Margin (Down / Up) 9.3 dB / 9.1 dB
    Attenuation (Down / Up) 14.2 dB / 5.2 dB
    Power (Down / Up) 12.4 dBm / 1.6 dBm

2928166973.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dazdrog wrote: »
    no. im 600m and my line syncs at 50/15 and vodafone claim eircom have it locked to 50/15

333670.PNG

Around 60 ;)
    I've seen eircom connections @ that distance syncing at more than 50.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Around 60 ;)
    I've seen eircom connections @ that distance syncing at more than 50.

so have i, but tell that to vodafone lol theres a mate at 450-500m who lives on the same street, just the other end and hes synced at 80/20

They will come up weird and wonderful reasons why speeds are that way.

Some moons ago was told by VF that my line could not take a higher speed. After several months doing nothing except for the odd call if I could get through. My speed doubled, then changed to Sky with further improvement. Admittedly not on Fibre.

So did someone throw a switch.

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

The above link give some figures for the UK and for 80M.

Just scroll a little down.

• Advertisement

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

The above link give some figures for the UK and for 80M.

Just scroll a little down.

england dont use vectoring so that charts is no good for ireland

Advertisement