Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Hi all,
    Recently renovated a house, no UPC connection and i got Sky in for TV. So decided to give their broadband offering a go too.

No phone line at all going to the house either so we had a KN guy come out and he told me he had to build a new line from the exchange to the house, approx 140 mtrs.

Sky have since told me we can get fibre, and I've gone with that. Sky engineer coming out on Friday to do whatever they have to do... will update here how we get on and what speeds I'm getting.

I'd previously been a UPC client, agree that their broadband product is very good however, I've had 7 years bad experience with them for other reasons, so willing to give Sky a shot for now (am getting a very good deal on tv package)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I hear this is a cab only job for KN. They test the port with their meter, no contracting the customer, no house visit and therefore no real testing the line from the cab to the house as you need to disconnect everything connected to the NTU to test properly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

dazdrog wrote: »
    england dont use vectoring so that charts is no good for ireland

Neither does Scotland, Wales or the channel Islands!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi all,

Im currently with UPC and am considering switching over to Sky.

I find UPC Horizon absolutely terrible, the interface is slow, clunky and "channel surfing" is tedious to the point that i couldnt be arsed browsing to see whats on Now & Next.

On the flipside I find the Broadband brilliant!! (200mb) so this is the only thing making me have doubts about switching.

How do people find SKY broadband in general?? Would it be a mistake to switch from UPC?

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ION08 wrote: »
    How do people find SKY broadband in general?? Would it be a mistake to switch from UPC?

You would be better off staying with UPC for broadband only, while switching to Sky for TV only if you really want Sky TV.

It is actually cheaper to do this then to switch to a Sky TV + broadband bundle while giving you much faster and better broadband!!!

Sky "upto" 100mb/s Broadband + offpeak landline calls + Sky 50 channel TV = €79
    UPC 240mb/s BB + unlimited anytime landline + mobile calls + Sky 50 channel TV = €74 *

* UPC €45 + Sky €29 = €74

Sky don't actually give you a discount for taking both their TV and BB!!!

So by going to UPC and Sky separately, you pay €5 per month less, get broadband at least 2.4 times faster and get unlimited anytime landline and mobile calls!!

A complete no brainer. Even if you prefer Sky TV, I can't see any reason why a person who can get UPC broadband would switch to Sky BB.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One other thing to take into account, for both sales and support Sky continue to use a crappy 0818 "national" number!!!!!

Be careful, these are virtual "national" numbers and aren't included in free national call bundles and can actually be quiet expensive to call.

For instance, to call Sky support/sales from Sky's own phone service costs: 9.70c connection fee + 6.90c per minute weekdays!!!

Meanwhile UPC, Eircom and Vodafone all use freephone 190x numbers for their sales and support and UPC even have a standard 01xxxxxxx number that would be included in the free minutes of most mobile and landline bundles.

So you could end up running up large phone bills calling Sky sales or support, making them even more expensive.

I can't believe Sky continue to do this when all their competitors offer free sales and support numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

bk wrote: »
    One other thing to take into account, for both sales and support Sky continue to use a crappy 0818 "national" number!!!!!

Be careful, these are virtual "national" numbers and aren't included in free national call bundles and can actually be quiet expensive to call.

For instance, to call Sky support/sales from Sky's own phone service costs: 9.70c connection fee + 6.90c per minute weekdays!!!

Meanwhile UPC, Eircom and Vodafone all use freephone 190x numbers for their sales and support and UPC even have a standard 01xxxxxxx number that would be included in the free minutes of most mobile and landline bundles.

So you could end up running up large phone bills calling Sky sales or support, making them even more expensive.

I can't believe Sky continue to do this when all their competitors offer free sales and support numbers.

If you have sky phone pack it's free to call.

I currently have UPC 120 bb and phone have decided to give Sky a go as my UPC broadband has been very poor over the last 12 months.

Phone line was activated today and bb will be installed on Thursday will see over the weekend how it goes. If I'm not happy I'll simply move both to UPC.

While 240 sounds great from UPC It all depends on how reliable the service is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

No it doesn't bk, as mentioned calls to sky are free from a sky landline

ETA: I would like to see a 19xx number though

F34 wrote: »
    I currently have UPC 120 bb and phone have decided to give Sky a go as my UPC broadband has been very poor over the last 12 months.

Was it the broadband that wasn't reliable or the wifi. The wifi performance on most of UPC's gear isn't great. However if you add your own quality wifi router to UPC's modem, then usually it is rock solid.

I've just switched to UPC 240/24 and it combination with my own decent wifi router, performance is fantastic and rock solid.
    No it doesn't bk, as mentioned calls to sky are free from a sky landline

ETA: I would like to see a 19xx number though

Well at least that is something.

But it will still cost you a pretty penny if you don't have Sky phone at the moment and want to sign up for it over the phone.

Or if the Sky BB + phone service goes down and you have to call support by mobile.

Or if you only have Sky TV and ever have to call for support or to change subscription details.

It really is ridiculous that they use this type of number and have no standard 01xxxxx or 021xxxxx type numbers.

It is just another example of how Sky likes to rip off it's customers IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

or they'll call you back if you ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Use the Free Call link from Goldenpages when calling Sky.
    They call you back and connect the call for free.
    http://skyireland.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/sky-contact-us-dublin/ms-90043614-p-3/

Somebody else posted the link in another thread, I used it myself and it works.

jspuds wrote: »
    Use the Free Call link from Goldenpages when calling Sky.
    They call you back and connect the call for free.
    http://skyireland.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/sky-contact-us-dublin/ms-90043614-p-3/

Somebody else posted the link in another thread, I used it myself and it works.

Great info there, thanks. However it is silly that such workarounds are required in this day and age.

Every other Telco has gotten over the idea of charging high prices for calling their sales and support, it is time for Sky to finally follow suit, if they want to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

If you have a vodafone bill pay mobile phone sky is free to call from them. I know from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

To say I'm annoyed is and understatement due to a "technical" error my engineer visit for tomorrow was cancelled only found out when I rang them to check.

Good bye Sky!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Or if you only have Sky TV and ever have to call for support or to change subscription details.

AFAIK if you set up a Sky on-line account, you can do quite a lot of subscription upgrading/downgrading, etc. through the web.

Of course in a downgrade situation you will probably get a call from Sky Customer Retention (or whatever they're called) to beg and plead with you to keep the package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    AFAIK if you set up a Sky on-line account, you can do quite a lot of subscription upgrading/downgrading, etc. through the web.

Of course in a downgrade situation you will probably get a call from Sky Customer Retention (or whatever they're called) to beg and plead with you to keep the package.

You can't downgrade online

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I had a call from the engineer earlier and a text from Sky a few hours later both confirming installation for tomorrow. I'll let ye know how it goes though I won't actually have fibre speeds til Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi guys,

Hope this is the right place for this question. I'm interested in getting sky fibre once I see a few speed results to make sure it's legit lol

At present the only phone connection coming into my house is in my hall and there is no plug the hall to plug a router into. I had sky bb two years ago but had to run a very long cable over skirting boards under a saddle board etc all the way into the front room which looked awful. If I was to get fibre installed , can it be installed at a more suitable location of my choice or will it be at the existing phone point? Also is there any work required in my garden or driveway etc? Sorry for the noob questions. I have UPC at present and enjoy having no long cables running halfway around the house!! The service recently has been very hit and miss hence considering fibre.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KNN for eircom and vodafone WILL move the master if you ask them. Others have posted that sierra are doing skys in home works so it'll depend on what they've agreed with sky. Best to call sky and ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Purely in relation to Sky's customer card number.

One you connect to an operator just ask them to ring you back and they'll do it no problem.

A free number would be idea but it's something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

They came out today to install this, but unfortunately my main phone socket is stuck in behind an integrated fridge so he couldn't get in at it. I thought he would only have to change the Sky Hub and not have to go to the socket.

Anyway, have to rebook and will either have the fridge moved out of the way for the day, or install an new main phone socket elsewhere. On that point, anyone know who I would get in to install a new phone socket, and how much it should cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

You would be better off staying with UPC for broadband only, while switching to Sky for TV only if you really want Sky TV.

It is actually cheaper to do this then to switch to a Sky TV + broadband bundle while giving you much faster and better broadband!!!

Sky "upto" 100mb/s Broadband + offpeak landline calls + Sky 50 channel TV = €79
    UPC 240mb/s BB + unlimited anytime landline + mobile calls + Sky 50 channel TV = €74 *

* UPC €45 + Sky €29 = €74

Sky don't actually give you a discount for taking both their TV and BB!!!

So by going to UPC and Sky separately, you pay €5 per month less, get broadband at least 2.4 times faster and get unlimited anytime landline and mobile calls!!

A complete no brainer. Even if you prefer Sky TV, I can't see any reason why a person who can get UPC broadband would switch to Sky BB.

I am on the UPC bundle and just got a letter advising that my bill will increase by 11 per month. I have two UPC boxes and pay about 120 a month I think. Nick Jr is about the only TV that gets watched in my house, so I have been thinking of getting rid of this for quite a while now.

Can I cancel my existing UPC package and re-subscribe for the above option - UPC for broadband and phone and Sky for TV?

I am on the UPC bundle and just got a letter advising that my bill will increase by 11 per month. I have two UPC boxes and pay about 120 a month I think. Nick Jr is about the only TV that gets watched in my house, so I have been thinking of getting rid of this for quite a while now.

Can I cancel my existing UPC package and re-subscribe for the above option - UPC for broadband and phone and Sky for TV?

Yes, specifically as they have increased the price, they have thus broken the contract and you have 30 days to cancel or downgrade.

You just call them, ask them to cancel the TV element and switch your broadband over to the new package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

They came out today to install this, but unfortunately my main phone socket is stuck in behind an integrated fridge so he couldn't get in at it. I thought he would only have to change the Sky Hub and not have to go to the socket.

Anyway, have to rebook and will either have the fridge moved out of the way for the day, or install an new main phone socket elsewhere. On that point, anyone know who I would get in to install a new phone socket, and how much it should cost.

Thanks

The new phone socket has to be installed by the Installer as it's a special type with in-built dsl filter for voice calls. Do you know where the phone cable enters the house, maybe the installer could put the socket (NTU) there.

NTU (Network Termination Unit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

NTU (Network Termination Unit)

My Fibre being installed tomorrow. From what has been discussed the NTU was installed by Eircom some months the Data Exrension cable is going to be fun. My hobby room is up stares about 12 m from the NTU

airuser wrote: »
    My Fibre being installed tomorrow. From what has been discussed the NTU was installed by Eircom some months the Data Exrension cable is going to be fun. My hobby room is up stares about 12 m from the NTU

Will they run it? I don't think they are under any obligation to (I'm referring to Eircom here, I do not know your situation with Sky as it's new to market), they will try to find some middle ground, besides you do not want a long data port extension as you are extending your distance to the cab. Better to use the existing NTU and run your own cat5 Ethernet

Thanks .
    Will see in the morrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Mine got installed today. I've always had my hub connected to a socket in a bedroom upstairs which is solely used for the hub and nothing else. Had a gander at what was done there now. From what I can see it's just the new hub connected to the same socket (the face plate is the one that was there beforehand anyway) and using the same everything that came with the old hub (the only thing used from the new hub's box was the hub itself). Anyway, it'll be Monday before Eircom change me over at the cab.

• Advertisement

Sky installer informed me it was a Cat5 cable.

Advertisement