Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

airuser wrote: »
    Sky installer informed me it was a Cat5 cable.

Yes, most likely 2 pair cat5 phone cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

I shall see in the morning. Have to discuss with the "boss" where the cable may run. With the flat cable was able to run inside ducting I had under the carpet. If Cat 5 different story

I shall see in the morning. Have to discuss with the "boss" where the cable may run. With the flat cable was able to run inside ducting I had under the carpet. If Cat 5 different story

You cannot use flat cable, there needs to be twists but 2 pair cat5 isn't much bigger

I know that. With my original set up no wires were seen My wife sees all these homes where the are no power cables, not aerial cables noting at all is seen.

My son's home in the States one sees very few cables as they have forward thinking builders and put in plenty of power points aerial sockets and telco cables as the house was build.

Just as an example in my hobby room only four plug come with the house. Over the years 14 plugs are no in use. 11 are in use.

USA has better regulations, you must have a double socket for every 8 foot of wall, including the bathrooms. We were slow up force standards, too late now, a million or so houses built in the last 10 years and no future thinking. Then you have clueless electricians cabling houses for analogue phone systems looping cables from room to room because there is no standard

• Advertisement

We can update our Standards. But, who will enforce them.
    I agree with everything you say.
    We have builders want the most money for the least investment.

House building and services into and around houses, that is for another forum.

But not here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can buy flat UTP cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm already with Sky for TV/Broadband so I decide to upgrade to Fibre. Sierra engineer came out yesterday and replaced the NTU in my hallway (which is the only box in the house and is where my current Sky router is anyhow). Left me a new modem and said I'd get a text once KN have done their bit at the cab, and I just have to plug in the new modem then.

Firstly, the Sierra engineer couldn't have been more helpful. As always when dealing with any Comms company, I was wondering to myself the night before if someone would even arrive. But he rang that evening (from his house) to see if around 11am would be ok the next day. I told him it was. I got a text a little while later saying that the engineer would be there for 11am, with a mobile number to ring if I needed to. And then he arrived at 11 and did the NTU work. Just having someone ring you before hand to give you an idea of a time makes a huge difference, customer service-wise.

Anyhow, for the moment I'm still on standard Broadband, and I don't know if KN work on a Saturday or not, so unless I get a text in the next hour or so, I'd imagine it'll be Monday before I'm upgraded, and we'll see what speeds I get. At the moment I get approx. 8.8Mb down and .8Mb up...

But so far so good, they've done everything they said they would, when they say they would, and I don't mind waiting another couple of days and my standard Broadband is still up and running.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive seen KNN out doing installs on Saturdays a few times, safe enough bet they do work it.

Glad Sierra are doing a good job of it, refreshing change.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jasonb wrote: »
    I'm already with Sky for TV/Broadband so I decide to upgrade to Fibre. Sierra engineer came out yesterday and replaced the NTU in my hallway (which is the only box in the house and is where my current Sky router is anyhow). Left me a new modem and said I'd get a text once KN have done their bit at the cab, and I just have to plug in the new modem then.

Firstly, the Sierra engineer couldn't have been more helpful. As always when dealing with any Comms company, I was wondering to myself the night before if someone would even arrive. But he rang that evening (from his house) to see if around 11am would be ok the next day. I told him it was. I got a text a little while later saying that the engineer would be there for 11am, with a mobile number to ring if I needed to. And then he arrived at 11 and did the NTU work. Just having someone ring you before hand to give you an idea of a time makes a huge difference, customer service-wise.

Anyhow, for the moment I'm still on standard Broadband, and I don't know if KN work on a Saturday or not, so unless I get a text in the next hour or so, I'd imagine it'll be Monday before I'm upgraded, and we'll see what speeds I get. At the moment I get approx. 8.8Mb down and .8Mb up...

But so far so good, they've done everything they said they would, when they say they would, and I don't mind waiting another couple of days and my standard Broadband is still up and running.

J.

lucky you...

I'm not even half that with sky

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    you can buy flat UTP cable

Yes, for your own use, but doubtful KN or Sierra will use this cable if you want a data port extension

ED E wrote: »
    Ive seen KNN out doing installs on Saturdays a few times, safe enough bet they do work it.

Glad Sierra are doing a good job of it, refreshing change.

Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I might get cut over tomorrow then.

Yep, very happy with the Sierra engineer, though in my experience it tends to come down to each engineer, not the company itself.

J.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Can anyone with Sky Fibre take a picture of their setup?

Kind of interested to see if there's any variations in their equipment.

Can anyone with Sky Fibre take a picture of their setup?

Kind of interested to see if there's any variations in their equipment.

If by setup you mean physical setup (cabling, router etc.) I can take a pic once I'm fully up and running...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

If by setup you mean physical setup (cabling, router etc.) I can take a pic once I'm fully up and running...

J.

Could you take a screenshot of the new Sky hub's interface/configuration page, please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

J.

Yeah! And of course a speed test!

I noticed how the Eircom and Vodafone NTU's are different, doing the exact same job just one lacks Eircom branding.

Just that kinda thing.

If you wouldn't mind it'd be great.

I noticed how the Eircom and Vodafone NTU's are different, doing the exact same job just one lacks Eircom branding.

Just that kinda thing.

If you wouldn't mind it'd be great.

No they're not, Eircom branded ones are just a different batch. Vodafone don't have any installers as there is no inhouse, it's self install, they post out the modem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest, this split install process Sky is using sounds awful!!

Eircom/Vodafones system is much better, one or two engineers arrive, they simultaneously do both the NTU installation, connect it up in the cab and install the modem/router and test with a laptop that it is all actually working.

A much better and cleaner customer experience IMHO.

I assume Sky are doing it this way just to save a few pennys!

Bk,
    I am with Sky.
    Had them install their end yesterday and hope to have everything running by Tuesday.
    They checked my wiring all inorder, so a few days more is not going to kill me.
    Maybe Sky can do a quicker turnaround this way and if there is a problem with speeds they know that it is fault outside their control.

What does annoy me. Is the way Sky has handled the whole Fibre issue in Ireland. Very badly in indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

bk wrote: »
    !

I'm seeing a theme in your posting about Sky, ;)

• Advertisement

Eircom/Vodafones system is much better, one or two engineers arrive, they simultaneously do both the NTU installation, connect it up in the cab and install the modem/router and test with a laptop that it is all actually working.

The line from the cab to the house will most likely not be tested, this must be tested from the cab with nothing connected and no voltage on the line (dial tone). You cannot really test from the house, only confirm it works.

As I have already posted. I haven't found that.

Maybe if there is a slowness in Eircom switching me over. I may change me turn.

J.

Totally agree.
    Delighted with the service I got from Sky(Sierra). Was told 48 hours before I was switched over.
    Was informed by Sky in a 2nd email,that I would be active sometime Tuesday next.

As I have already posted. I haven't found that.

Yours worked so no issue, what happens another customer if theirs doesn't connect or has an intermittent fault due to a marginal stress test line fault? Who is actually responsible for the cable from the cab to the house? KN are responsible for 90 days for the cable from the cab to the NTU, but in this situation they don't do the NTU.

My guess is that Eircoms own techs will have to deal with it (not many of them left and are already snowed under), so that will be 3 different crews each looking to pass the buck. Messy

Yours worked so no issue, what happens another customer if theirs doesn't connect or has an intermittent fault due to a marginal stress test line fault? Who is actually responsible for the cable from the cab to the house? KN are responsible for 90 days for the cable from the cab to the NTU, but in this situation they don't do the NTU.

My guess is that Eircoms own techs will have to deal with it (not many of them left and are already snowed under), so that will be 3 different crews each looking to pass the buck. Messy

As you said Eircom's may be responsible.

It is Eircom's infrastructure that is being used by ISP's using the Telephone network and it is as you know that has been causing many problems over the years.

Had a problem with my phone and what it turned out to be was a junction box 30 m from the house. It took Eircom's before is was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

As you said Eircom's may be responsible.

It is Eircom's infrastructure that is being used by ISP's using the Telephone network and it is as you know that has been causing many problems over the years.

Had a problem with my phone and what it turned out to be was a junction box 30 m from the house. It took Eircom's before is was fixed.

Too many plurals! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

degsie wrote: »
    Neither does Scotland, Wales or the channel Islands!

There's actually no BT on the Channel Islands, Isle of Mann or, bizarrely, in the City of Hull!

KC in Hull delivers a similar VDSL2 100Mbit/s product using the same vectoring technology as Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

How will the engineer find your pair in the cabinet? Will he have to call to your house again to connect the signal generator thingy to your line? It all sounds very cumbersome to me as well. How does the sky fibre connection process work for someone already on a fibre connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jca wrote: »
    How will the engineer find your pair in the cabinet? Will he have to call to your house again to connect the signal generator thingy to your line? It all sounds very cumbersome to me as well. How does the sky fibre connection process work for someone already on a fibre connection?

For in situe it should be a post out modem and an automated reconfig on the lt port.

As to pair finding the could put their toner on the drop point, but that's messy.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »

All connections in the cab are numbered and recorded, it's easy verify if there is a working landline. If the fibre is already installed the cab details would be verified by the original fibre installer.

Advertisement