Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

Change to Google DNS servrs 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

The problem hasnt gone away for me anyways.
    Would changing the dns servers be worth a go?

I thought that also. On my Mac left it alone and on the iPad changed it to 8.8.8.8 no improvement . Also tried changing Browser, still would not open the pages

Have downloaded a piece of software "Namebench".

On running it goes through a number of DNS site some of which may be better . It stated that 8.8.8.8 would be faster by about .4%. shall try it ant see if I get anymore problems with opening web sites.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's worth a try, though nothing with this sort of intermittent issue is certain. On my home machine, I use OpenDNS, (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220, which seems to work reasonably well for me, but your mileage may vary.

My suspicion is that there's a router or server somewhere in the core loop somewhere in the Dublin area that's either being regularly attacked with DDOS attacks, or similar, or a node that's being flooded with E-mail spam, or there's some sort of load balancing issue that's not working correctly, which is overloading it, so that genuine user requests are being lost in the queue.

Having said that, the "wait" icon in Firefox changes spin direction once the DNS has been resolved, and it seems more often than not that the DNS has been returned, but the initial contact with the page server does not establish cleanly, and if I stop the page, and refresh it, very often, the response is back with me very quickly. OK, some of the page is probably in local cache by that point, which may be helping, but the difference between try 1 and try 2 is orders of magnitude faster most of the time.

part of the problem is that there are no easy tools for the end user to use that will give a clear indication of where the delay or loss of signal is happening, and who's server is causing the issues, so finding it and then finding out who to report it to is horribly confusing and difficult to do.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

It's worth a try, though nothing with this sort of intermittent issue is certain. On my home machine, I use OpenDNS, (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220, which seems to work reasonably well for me, but your mileage may vary.

My suspicion is that there's a router or server somewhere in the core loop somewhere in the Dublin area that's either being regularly attacked with DDOS attacks, or similar, or a node that's being flooded with E-mail spam, or there's some sort of load balancing issue that's not working correctly, which is overloading it, so that genuine user requests are being lost in the queue.

Having said that, the "wait" icon in Firefox changes spin direction once the DNS has been resolved, and it seems more often than not that the DNS has been returned, but the initial contact with the page server does not establish cleanly, and if I stop the page, and refresh it, very often, the response is back with me very quickly. OK, some of the page is probably in local cache by that point, which may be helping, but the difference between try 1 and try 2 is orders of magnitude faster most of the time.

part of the problem is that there are no easy tools for the end user to use that will give a clear indication of where the delay or loss of signal is happening, and who's server is causing the issues, so finding it and then finding out who to report it to is horribly confusing and difficult to do.

Hi Steve,

Maybe set up a tcpdump and stop it the second you have the issue? Then have a looksie to see if there's corrupt checksums, anything weird like that.

For me these issues (where the HTTP response appears to hang indefinitely) happen very rarely (less than once a day generally), so are hard to catch.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have changed the DNS on my Mac. So we shall see how it goes.

The problem has also be reported on Sky Ireland on Boards.ie

I thought it may be Safari. However, same problem with Firefox and Chrome.

What was peculiar was the Radio was still streaming and there was no indication on SamKnows Box of any disruption in service.

One question. Is there a reason why one has only seen it happen on Fibre?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not on fibre, or the Eircom network, my home network is Imagine Wimax, which is wireless though I'm not sure what the backhaul to the servers is, and I have been seeing the same issues on several other providers, some wireless, and some non fibre, which is why I suspect it's further upstream,

Re the tcpdump option, It will be easier for me to set up a "spare" PC on my network in promiscuous mode running wireshark, and let it capture everything, all I need to do then is make a note of the time, and I can look at the complete packet transfer logs for that period at my leisure, and with a couple of Tbytes of disc space to store logs if needed, I'm going to get a number of events at some stage.

If your monitor box is not showing anything strange, that would suggest to me that the problem is on the other (outgoing) side of your ISP's service, and their server that's supplying data to you is also logjammed until the transaction times out, and that ties in with the sort of issues I'm seeing here, if I leave it long enough, the idle timer kicks in and something (though not always the right data) usually ends up being painted back to me.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Yes, SamKnows is not showing anything wrong at all.

We will see what Sky have to say on their forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've just been reading up a bit on SamKnows as I'm curious about the Sky Fibre speeds/performance and would love access to proper data on it. Would anyone here using it recommend it? Does it use up much bandwidth (I'm with the limited 25GB Sky Fibre offer).

Thanks...

J.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have no problem in recommending it. Give all the info daily and one receives a monthly report as will.

One could also use "speedtest net" . That will give you Speed Up and down and latency at a moment in time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Cool, I'll look into it...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cant find the page on their site now, but I have a feeling it can use up to a gig a day, so be careful if you have a very limited package.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

airuser wrote: »
    Yes, SamKnows is not showing anything wrong at all.

Given the excellent performance and low pings to the sam knows servers, it would seem that their servers are probably located in INEX and right in each ISP's data center.

Which would indicate the issue is further beyond that, probably in their international backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

bk wrote: »
    Given the excellent performance and low pings to the sam knows servers, it would seem that their servers are probably located in INEX

INEX doesn't host performance testing servers.

Nick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the info Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, INEX is just the peering. Chances are their nodes are in Citywest Business Park though so within a stones throw. Theres a lot of infrastructure for multiple operators out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

I got sky Broadband, got connected Friday, living in kildare. It constantly drops connection about every two to three pages, is it meant to be this crappy?? Going to disconnect as my 14 days runs out on the 18, any feedback......?

liam7831 wrote: »
    I got sky Broadband, got connected Friday, living in kildare. It constantly drops connection about every two to three pages, is it meant to be this crappy?? Going to disconnect as my 14 days runs out on the 18, any feedback......?

No, that isn't normal. You should contact Sky support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sky Ireland: Simon C

liam7831 wrote: »

Hi liam7831

I am very sorry to see that you have been having an issue with your Sky service recently.

Did you know that we are now live on Boards.ie? The Sky Ireland Talk To site is at this link and we would be more than happy to assist you.

If you wish to post your question / query on our site, we will endeavour to resolve this issue for you.

Thanks
    Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I am also having dreadful service from Sky. Their customer service is abysmal .

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Just waited three weeks for Sky to come and install broadband in my house. They came today but the guy said it won't be live for a few more days until KN networks do something. Has anyone else come across this? The house previously had no broadband or phone line. They have also been charging me for phone line rental even though I have no way of actually using it. Also spent 40mins waiting to talk to customer care today, appalling customer care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Kagawa wrote: »
    Just waited three weeks for Sky to come and install broadband in my house. They came today but the guy said it won't be live for a few more days until KN networks do something. Has anyone else come across this? The house previously had no broadband or phone line. They have also been charging me for phone line rental even though I have no way of actually using it. Also spent 40mins waiting to talk to customer care today, appalling customer care!

Post in their talkto forum, they'll sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's how sky do their fttc installation, sky put in a new faceplate and after that's done KN or eir go to the cabinet and connect your copper pair to the fibre network. Vodafone and eir do it on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

jca wrote: »
    That's how sky do their fttc installation, sky put in a new faceplate and after that's done KN or eir go to the cabinet and connect your copper pair to the fibre network. Vodafone and eir do it on the same day.

Thanks, I assume KN do this at the exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks, I assume KN do this at the exchange?

At the cabinet, your voice calls go back to the exchange, your internet uses the copper pair from your house to the cabinet and is carried by fibre from there, that's where the speed increase is gained as a large chunk of copper wire is removed from the line.

Advertisement