Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Fair play. I would have done the same as you if Sky were to offer me that for six months. They didn't, so I am getting Vodafone Fibre enabled today, and terminated Sky TV as well. I hope they do come up with some great fibre offer this year, I look forward to switching back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

positron wrote: »
    I hope they do come up with some great fibre offer this year, I look forward to switching back to them.

Aren't you tied into an 18 month contract with Vodafone now?

^^ Yep I am. I chose that for 35 pm compared to staying with Sky at close to 50 pm and with the uncertainty of fibre etc, also average speed is like 3 mbps here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alessia7

Well done ah-watch for getting sky to give you it for €20 a month :) I'd never switch to voda was with them for 1 month a true nightmare and they let me switch without paying a disconnection fee! Sky are really longing out the fibre release. It'll be at least 6 months I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sky biggest stumbling block against them launching fibre is their lack of network and backhaul capacity. The same problem they're having with their DSL service.

Their sales and provisioning isn't that much different than what they're already doing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm ringing up on 18/3 to try cancel for my contract that ends 18/4, I hope they give me some no contract discounted offer then I can stick around hopefully long enough for them to launch Fibre. I don't want to leave as I really like their little Hub, I've heard some people say it's atrocious but it uses so little electricity and It's lovely and small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I'm ringing up on 18/3 to try cancel for my contract that ends 18/4, I hope they give me some no contract discounted offer then I can stick around hopefully long enough for them to launch Fibre. I don't want to leave as I really like their little Hub, I've heard some people say it's atrocious but it uses so little electricity and It's lovely and small.

...and will need to be replaced when you get fibre anyway :) (It's ADSL only)

crawler wrote: »

Yeah with the little black Hub. SR102, should hopefully be as good or better than the current.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Yeah with the little black Hub. SR102, should hopefully be as good or better than the current.

They're both pieces of shít, to be honest. I don't ever want to see a router/hub as restrictive as the Sky hub. Anyway, I read the review of the newer one and it's almost as shít:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-hub-2013_Peripheral_review

I really like their little Hub..It's lovely and small.

I agree. You should see the Vodafone fibre modem - about the size of an A4 sheet - or as wide and half as tall as my HP microserver. In white. It's really thin and flat, but as far as I can tell it's not wall mountable as all the cables are coming out 90 degrees to the wall. Eircom router is also just bad I think - but black. Disgusting coming from small Sky setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

crawler wrote: »

Not true. VDSL can be connected via one of the ethernet ports. At least this is case in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

degsie wrote: »
    Not true. VDSL can be connected via one of the ethernet ports. At least this is case in the UK.

Doubt it's compliant with Eircom's vectoring plans though. Not sure if a software update could take care of that or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

VDSL is a phone line modulation technique - it's not ethernet. The eFibre connection on the NTU can be used with an RJ11 or an RJ45 plug, but it's just a single pair of wires back to the modem.

fat-tony wrote: »
    VDSL is a phone line modulation technique - it's not ethernet. The eFibre connection on the NTU can be used with an RJ11 or an RJ45 plug, but it's just a single pair of wires back to the modem.

True, but in the UK a separate modem is installed and this has RJ45 out and so gets connected to the hub via an ethernet connection.

The newer SKY hub is self install (again in the UK) and you just connect the phone line directly into the hub, no need for a NTU.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-fibre-hub-is-first-to-allow-fibre-broadband-self-install_M12412.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I agree. You should see the Vodafone fibre modem - about the size of an A4 sheet - or as wide and half as tall as my HP microserver. In white. It's really thin and flat, but as far as I can tell it's not wall mountable as all the cables are coming out 90 degrees to the wall. Eircom router is also just bad I think - but black. Disgusting coming from small Sky setup.

You realise it's actually a different technology and audio combines a VoIP adapter.

In the UK BT openreach provides the FTTC service. you actually have to use their VDSL2 modem and the Sky Hub is plugged into that just as a modemless router.

That new sky hub with VDSL2 modem is just the same setup used by the ISPs here.

The engineer installation is HIGHLY advisable with VDSL2 installations as they need to ensure the internal wiring is up to scratch and fit a central splitter.

I don't think eircom is allowing self installation as they don't want support calls afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

True, but in the UK a separate modem is installed and this has RJ45 out and so gets connected to the hub via an ethernet connection.

The newer SKY hub is self install (again in the UK) and you just connect the phone line directly into the hub, no need for a NTU.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-fibre-hub-is-first-to-allow-fibre-broadband-self-install_M12412.html
    Ok, but in Ireland, the ISP supplies the modem/router and eircom(kn) install the master socket which includes the VDSL filter - no self-install allowed at this stage. If SKY want to supply a hub which includes a modem (as per the video you linked), then they will not have to supply a filter as it's built in to the NTU.

Eircom won't be likely to allow self install simply because they can't guarantee there will be any NTU or that the internal wiring makes sense.

The new filtered NTU isolates off all your internal wiring. So it can't cause interference

Self install isn't an amazing innovation. Its the UK ISPs being too cheap to pay for an engineer.

I had Vodafone (Non Fibre) before and Chorus ages before that. The Vodafone router is huge, the only feature I like is the USB ports so you can connect a hard drive or other USB peripheral. I have an electricity meter thing that can monitor usage and it uses virtually none. I'd love it if Sky brought out a 802.11ac Hub but that probably won't happen.. For a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alessia7

A sky rep called to our house today, I asked him when sky where rolling out fibre, and he said at the end of April! Is there any truth to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Unlikely but you'd never know.

• Advertisement

The access gateways are actually pretty sophisticated though:
    • VDSL2 Modem that supports vectoring.
    • Router.
    • WiFi hub.
    • 2 Port VoIP telephony adaptor that allows connection of telephones (not used by all ISPs, but present on all of their access gateways).
    • Most seem to have additional features like USB connections for printer or HDD
    • Also eircom's device has extra functionality to support IPTV.

Compared to the current generation Sky Hub, they're actually much more complex devices.

If you want to see a neater one, Digiweb use the FritzBox 7360.

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7360/index.php

Nicely made German device.

I don't think the Sky Hub's THAT small either. It's a very 'fat' device.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Alessia7 wrote: »
    A sky rep called to our house today, I asked him when sky where rolling out fibre, and he said at the end of April! Is there any truth to this??

Did the rep say what year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

sky just uses eircom lines,i presume eircom does not have to allow others to use its fiber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

sky just uses eircom lines,i presume eircom does not have to allow others to use its fiber

You presume wrong and it's not even fiber, it's VDSL/FTTC. Magnet, Vodafone and Digiweb resell eircom's VDSL product.

You presume wrong and it's not even fiber, it's VDSL/FTTC. Magnet, Vodafone and Digiweb resell eircom's VDSL product.

You presume wrong! The clue is in the name. So yes there is fibre involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

You presume wrong! The clue is in the name. So yes there is fibre involved.

I never said it wasn't involved. Fiber optic broadband is generally accepted as FTTH (fiber to the home); so you're wrong, too.

I never said it wasn't involved. Fiber optic broadband is generally accepted as FTTH (fiber to the home); so you're wrong, too.

Sure. BTW it's fibre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Settle down girls.
    Children these days.
    Always fighting :D

My understanding is that its fibre most of the way & then copper for the rest of the journey to your house.
    Maybe someone can set me right on this ?

amdaley28 wrote: »
    My understanding is that its fibre most of the way & then copper for the rest of the journey to your house.
    Maybe someone can set me right on this ?

fttc-diagram.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

fttc-diagram.png

Thanks for that.:)
    As they say one picture is better than a thousand words.

Advertisement