Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

One further thought. SKY pinned their forum regarding their fibre.

But we can still vent our opinions here.

Airuser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're going to lose customers though for 18 months or more if they switch to eircom and vodafone etc

Also, Vodafone and eircom are both capable of bundling very competitive mobile packages with their broadband offerings so it's possible that Sky might lose customers (other than for TV) in the long term.

Their strategy is a little 'odd'.

They dragged their feet for years on launching any kind of broadband in the Irish market though too. So, maybe they're just not really interested or not making sufficient margins on it to make it interested.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    What the stats there wont tell you though is that where UPC arent present Sky dominates for TV. Maybe sky are betting on holding customers for TV (eVision doesnt match up to it), losing them for BB and then getting BB back in a while when they start using VDSL.

Maybe true at the moment, but the market is changing very quickly and Sky might end up finding themselves being left behind.

UPC dominate the areas they serve (about 1/3rd of the country), but fortunately for Sky don't seem to be interested to significantly expand outside of these areas.

However we now have the ESB planning to roll out FTTH to about an additional 1/3rd of the country not currently served by UPC. You can guarantee that the ESB will do TV services equivalent to UPC over this and will pose a significant threat to Sky.

Also Eircoms IPTV becomes more reliable with vectoring enabled and Eircom could yet develop it into a competitive TV platform.

Finally I wouldn't be surprised if Vodafone roll out their own IPTV platform over VDSL (and ESB FTTH), also becoming a quad play provider. In addition UPC are likely to also become a quad play provider by launching their own mobile service (MVNO).

So Sky better be careful that their satellite service doesn't simply get relegated to rural areas in the new era of youtube, netflix, VoD, etc.

The one thing Sky has going for them, is their Iron grip on sports rights. With this they make all the above TV platforms pay a high price to carry their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My theory was regarding the next 12months or so, very short term in the telecoms industry. If sky are playing the game I think they're playing they'll take up VDSL in the not too distant future and be offering the same up to 100Mb speeds long before the ESB have anything in place.

Is there any talk of Voda doing an IPTV service? If they did so and and 1 upped Eircoms evision the market could REALLY heat up. Win win for consumers.

Only problem is that the Law has to be enacted to let ESB into the market. Hope it happens fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

airuser wrote: »
    Only problem is that the Law has to be enacted to let ESB into the market. Hope it happens fast.

As far as I am aware that's passed :

"ESB (Electronic Communications Networks) Act 2014"

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2014/a514.pdf

Weirdly, there's a rider on the bill that changes Bord Gais' name to Ervia !?

I Knew it has got that far. But has it been signed in to action.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bk wrote: »

Finally I wouldn't be surprised if Vodafone roll out their own IPTV platform over VDSL (and ESB FTTH), also becoming a quad play provider.
    Is there any talk of Voda doing an IPTV service? If they did so and and 1 upped Eircoms evision the market could REALLY heat up. Win win for consumers.

Voda are looking to hire an IPTV product manager so i'd imagine they will be doing the service at some point

"Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

I can understand your frustration and how keen you are to find out more information regarding Sky Fibre Broadband coming to Ireland, we certainly haven't been lying about this and we will be offering this service in Ireland as soon as we possibly can.

Trialing of our Sky Fibre service has already started to ensure we can provide the best quality of service for it's full launch, there will eventually be a dedicated space on our website to allow our customers to register their interest in this service as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards"

Just the same old ........ from Sky.

The above was posted by one of their Co-ordinators recently.

Eircom who are the wholesaler have installed many thousands of system without any major glitches. Followed by Vodafone similar.

Sky can only retail what Eircom are prepared to sell and Sky are prepared to pay for.

So not only has Sky not installed any Fibre. EXcept to those who are Trailing the produce. They are losing out to their major competitors.

When Eircom arrived with Fibre it was up to 70M now it is up to 100M.

Sky you are falling away behind

IMHO intentionally. They're letting eircom and Vodafone pay all the installation fees then they'll start taking existing customers in a year from now. Dont bother waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The way they have lead customers up the garden path has been really horrible in my opinion. Same lousy response for a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

The way they have lead customers up the garden path has been really horrible in my opinion. Same lousy response for a year now.

I don't think anyone actually takes any notice of what they say anymore.
    I know I don't anyway.
    It must be embarrassing for any of their reps to have to keep coming out with the same old hog wash :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I don't think they are trialling anything. Surely at least one of their "trial" customers would be a boardsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

IMHO intentionally. They're letting eircom and Vodafone pay all the installation fees then they'll start taking existing customers in a year from now. Dont bother waiting.

Why one year from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Why one year from now?

I think he means that there was a big uptake on Sky BB around this time last year so a lot of ppl are reaching the end of the contract term. If you go with another ISP now you are likely to be signed up for a 12mth contract at a min.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Voda are looking to hire an IPTV product manager so i'd imagine they will be doing the service at some point

Their Vodafone Modem has an option for IPTV so there's definitely the functionality.

I remember talking to a friend in New Zealand who told me that over there Vodafone partnered with Sky for TV, not sure if they're the same company but I think it's a News Corp/FOX company, anyway totally unrelated but still.

Doubt that would ever happen but it'd be really interesting if it did.

VodaTV vs eVision :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Their Vodafone Modem has an option for IPTV so there's definitely the functionality.

I remember talking to a friend in New Zealand who told me that over there Vodafone partnered with Sky for TV, not sure if they're the same company but I think it's a News Corp/FOX company, anyway totally unrelated but still.

Rupert Murdoch owns Sky and FOX.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/06/virgin-media-quad-play-package
    BSkyB is rumoured to have looked at a deal with Vodafone to expand into offering mobile services to make its product mix more enticing, while branching into areas such as launching a cheaper internet TV service.

Its all going to be quad play stuff soon. UPC will start an MVNO, Voda will start TV. If they join up with Sky on that then Voda VDSL and Voda ESB FTTH could all get IPTV. We might actually be rid of those ugly dishes in a decade from now ;)

Rupert Murdoch owns Sky and FOX.

Yup, that man has a share in nearly everything!

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/06/virgin-media-quad-play-package

Its all going to be quad play stuff soon. UPC will start an MVNO, Voda will start TV. If they join up with Sky on that then Voda VDSL and Voda ESB FTTH could all get IPTV. We might actually be rid of those ugly dishes in a decade from now ;)

That would be great!
    FTTH and Sky TV...
    I actually like those dishes though :P

• Advertisement

HI can understand your point of view and I know that you are looking for a timescale as to when Sky Fibre will be available in the Republic of Ireland. We don't have a timescale and are unable to supply you with a rough time of when this is going to become active.

As soon as we have an update we will inform our customer's

The above is a quote from a Sky Rep on their site about Sky Fibre in Ireland. Now they have "no timescale" for fibre. It would appear that fibre may not come Sky for some time.

They are really now not on the "field of play", with fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

I'm a sky customer and a rep called me the other day to sell me their broadband. Told him that I'm with Vodafone and wondered if they have efibre now. He said now but it will be launching in June. Could be b..sit but lets hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I am with Sky and I have placed an order with another provider for Fibre. I am not in contract with Sky.
    I am sure loads of other people have left Sky due to lack of fibre.
    Whats the best way to leave Sky, contact them and tell them.
    New provider said to just ring them up on the day when new service is active and tell them you have moved ?

Thx.

rubicon99 wrote: »
    I'm a sky customer and a rep called me the other day to sell me their broadband. Told him that I'm with Vodafone and wondered if they have efibre now. He said now but it will be launching in June. Could be b..sit but lets hope :D[/QUOTE

As I posted above, SKY have no timescale on the introduction of Fibre BB.

I am with Sky and I have placed an order with another provider for Fibre. I am not in contract with Sky.
    New provider said to just ring them up on the day when new service is active and tell them you have moved ?

Thx.

Most ISP have now got "switching teams", so one would have to do nothing.

When I moved from VF to SKY, the latter did all the work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

rubicon99 wrote: »
    I'm a sky customer and a rep called me the other day to sell me their broadband. Told him that I'm with Vodafone and wondered if they have efibre now. He said now but it will be launching in June. Could be b..sit but lets hope :D

Id call bull**** on that and even ask to speak to a his supervisor too be honest cus he is blatantly lying to you on that.

The sky forums reps have stated repeatedly there is no timescale and talking to eircom reps it is apprently sky holding the whole process up as they are unwilling to pay for access to the fibre network at the current prices. However I dont know how much weight that holds either but considering skys reluctance to even give a timeframe it doesnt sound too far off the truth

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

VinLieger wrote: »
    The sky forums reps have stated repeatedly there is no timescale and talking to eircom reps it is apprently sky holding the whole process up as they are unwilling to pay for access to the fibre network at the current prices. However I dont know how much weight that holds either but considering skys reluctance to even give a timeframe it doesnt sound too far off the truth

I've no inside information on the matter, but this sounds very likely.

There certainly is no technical reason why they can't offer eFibre. If all the other ISPs (Vodafone, Magnet, UTV, Digiweb) have been able to offer it almost from day one, then it is definitely not a technical issue.

One thing, with ADSL, Sky makes heavy use of BT's network and LLU, which allows them to undercut Eircoms pricing.

For the most part BT's network and LLU don't exist for VDSL/eFibre * and thus Sky have to go through Eircom for a lot more things.

* LLU is technically possible with VDSL, but it means BT running their own fibre to each cab and potentially putting their own second cab next to each Eircom cab. Realistically doing this would just cost far too much.

VinLieger wrote: »

To quote myself a little while back:

They're cheaping out. Tell them to go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

To quote myself a little while back:

They're cheaping out. Tell them to go to hell.

I think thats part of it too. We just had our area activated for Eircom Fibre so gonna ring sky today to see what the tv cost will be if we cancel the broadband and depending on that may just get rid of the tv altogether. hopefully will have eircom installing sometime next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thx.

A Call is enough.

Advertisement