Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I am with Sky and I have placed an order with another provider for Fibre. I am not in contract with Sky.
    I am sure loads of other people have left Sky due to lack of fibre.
    Whats the best way to leave Sky, contact them and tell them.
    New provider said to just ring them up on the day when new service is active and tell them you have moved ?

Thx.

Your new provider does all the work including notifying your outgoing provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Just had a chat with a Sky employee.
    Guess what?
    They are rolling out fibre TESTING in two weeks time with some employees.

What happened to all the TESTING they told their customers they were already carrying out.

So glad I jumped ship months ago. No doubt testing will take another 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bk wrote: »
    I've no inside information on the matter, but this sounds very likely.

There certainly is no technical reason why they can't offer eFibre. If all the other ISPs (Vodafone, Magnet, UTV, Digiweb) have been able to offer it almost from day one, then it is definitely not a technical issue.

One thing, with ADSL, Sky makes heavy use of BT's network and LLU, which allows them to undercut Eircoms pricing.

For the most part BT's network and LLU don't exist for VDSL/eFibre * and thus Sky have to go through Eircom for a lot more things.

* LLU is technically possible with VDSL, but it means BT running their own fibre to each cab and potentially putting their own second cab next to each Eircom cab. Realistically doing this would just cost far too much.

Well, you can still use BT Wholesale to provide the service. Eircom own the cabinets and access network, but BT would have their own backhaul and local nodes in exchanges to take traffic much like they way they worked for years for voice/ISDN traffic.

They can also handle billing, setup, etc as a turn key product. So, Sky would most likely still just deal with BT Wholesale not eircom directly.

http://www.btirelandwholesale.com/whole_prodserve_ngabroadband.shtml

The big issue is that LLU's probably turning out to have been a waste of time, money and effort as NGA products are FAR FAR better than anything you can provide using ADSL2+ out of an exchange building. The only thing that they can do really is re-use the node in the exchange as a handover point for traffic thus at least recouping some of the investment and having deep-level local access at a lot of exchanges.

So while it's not fully unbundled, it's still far closer to end users than other networks would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sup08 wrote: »
    Just had a chat with a Sky employee.
    Guess what?
    They are rolling out fibre TESTING in two weeks time with some employees.

What happened to all the TESTING they told their customers they were already carrying out.

So glad I jumped ship months ago. No doubt testing will take another 6 months.

I was told week's ago that staff were testing.
    I'm jumping next week.

I was told week's ago that staff were testing.
    I'm jumping next week.

What exactly are they 'testing' though?
    The product and platform are producing stellar results on everyone else's networks... It's actually far out performing BT's setup in the UK as it supports vectoring.

It sounds like the way certain public transport companies would have to 'test' wheels to make sure that the round wheel actually worked better than the square wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

SKY employees now have to test Fibre ?

Is the problem that Sky will have to use BT and not EICOM.

I presume then, one will have the problem with who is going to install.

It has been a disaster for SKY and the way the have provided information to their customers. They have even pinned their forum on anything to do with fibre.

Eircom's contractors KN Networks or Eircom themselves would do the install for BT Ireland I guess, which is the case for any line ordered by BT anyway.

BT Wholesale would provide the full technical service to Sky though probably as a 'turn key' solution. So, all Sky would have to do is spec. the service and tell BT to 'make it so'.

Someday, SKY may provide Fibre.???

One thing is for certain. They cannot pin this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Well I decided to jump ship last monday from sky to eircom. But since then have changed my mind completely. Eircoms customer service is shocking bad, seriously unimpressed. I rang sky to make sure theyd cancelled my tv package, they hadn't. ?... anyway sky offerdd me a great deal and lets face it evision is crap compared to sky tv. Anyway same thing guy told me that they were testing e fibre and hope to start rolling it out in the next couple of months. So ill give them a chance because they've always been great to deal with.

Been told by several friends that they found eircom very difficult to deal with,

Well I decided to jump ship last monday from sky to eircom. But since then have changed my mind completely. Eircoms customer service is shocking bad, seriously unimpressed. I rang sky to make sure theyd cancelled my tv package, they hadn't. ?... anyway sky offerdd me a great deal and lets face it evision is crap compared to sky tv. Anyway same thing guy told me that they were testing e fibre and hope to start rolling it out in the next couple of months. So ill give them a chance because they've always been great to deal with.

Been told by several friends that they found eircom very difficult to deal with,

I hope that is so. The one and only reason I am still with Sky is that I have found their CS by far the best I have received from any supplier.

Although , recently I had no BB when I returned from holiday and have very poor speeds for several days.

So I do hope what you say comes to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why would Eircom cancel your Sky TV package?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

They cant. The poster said "I rang sky to make sure theyd cancelled my tv package"

Because when placing my order I specifically asked them if I had to ring sky to cancel anything and they emphatically said no. I did not believe this hence the phone call. So either they do not want sky coercing customers to stay with them (sky) or they are not properly trained staff. Apparently sky have had alot of calls from people believing their packages were cancelled and of course weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Because when placing my order I specifically asked them if I had to ring sky to cancel anything and they emphatically said no. I did not believe this hence the phone call. So either they do not want sky coercing customers to stay with them (sky) or they are not properly trained staff. Apparently sky have had alot of calls from people believing their packages were cancelled and of course weren't.

This applies for broadband, not TV.

This applies for broadband, not TV.

Indeed but they lead people to believe they do not have to ring sky at all, hence confusion. Just a note of caution for anyone moving. I did stress to eircom the question of whether I had to ring sky about anything, and no was the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed but they lead people to believe they do not have to ring sky at all, hence confusion. Just a note of caution for anyone moving. I did stress to eircom the question of whether I had to ring sky about anything, and no was the answer.

Im guessing there was a bit of confusion on the operators end here, Eircom do cancel your broadband if your with Sky but also a slight bit of common sense on your part would make you realise it makes no sense that they would also cancel your tv package.

Stupid reason to be switching back imo, customer support make mistakes sometimes

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im guessing there was a bit of confusion on the operators end here, Eircom do cancel your broadband if your with Sky but also a slight bit of common sense on your part would make you realise it makes no sense that they would also cancel your tv package.

Stupid reason to be switching back imo, customer support make mistakes sometimes

Obviously I am not stupid that is why I rang and as I previously stated when I rang sky they made me an offer I couldnt refuse so that is why I stayed. Less of the presumptions I was just trying to alert prospective movers just in case. Also customer service staff should be trained on all aspects of a changeover and cancellation policy, it's called professionalism.

Obviously I am not stupid that is why I rang and as I previously stated when I rang sky they made me an offer I couldnt refuse so that is why I stayed. Less of the presumptions I was just trying to alert prospective movers just in case. Also customer service staff should be trained on all aspects of a changeover and cancellation policy, it's called professionalism.

I think you're talking a lot of crap to be frank. Anyone who expects a telecoms provider to cancel someone's TV service...... Well I'm not saying anymore.

That's a ComReg rule. You do not have to call you previous provider to switch.
    Eircom themselves were in big trouble for forcing customers to give a month's notice through an awkward process when they were outside their minimum contracts. ComReg rules against them.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1443.pdf

jca wrote: »
    I think you're talking a lot of crap to be frank. Anyone who expects a telecoms provider to cancel someone's TV service...... Well I'm not saying anymore.

I think if you read my posts I did not expect anything they told me I didinot need to, I didnt believe that so I rang, end off. My point is dont advocate something if its not right ok, what is so hard about that, yes we will switch your broadband no problem but your tv you will have to organise yourself, simple?. If you ask a question, you should be given an honest answer. Sorry but I still wreckon this is intended because they do not want people ringing sky to be given better offers. Better to leave it and then 7 day refusal is over and contract is all theirs. Cynical maybe but you ring and see what happens when you ask the question

• Advertisement

I think if you read my posts I did not expect anything they told me I didinot need to, I didnt believe that so I rang, end off. My point is dont advocate something if its not right ok, what is so hard about that, yes we will switch your broadband no problem but your tv you will have to organise yourself, simple?. If you ask a question, you should be given an honest answer. Sorry but I still wreckon this is intended because they do not want people ringing sky to be given better offers. Better to leave it and then 7 day refusal is over and contract is all theirs. Cynical maybe but you ring and see what happens when you ask the question

I did read your posts and they read like the ramblings of..... Anyway I actually went from sky to eircom for my broadband as you initially did. Nowhere during this process did I expect my TV service from sky to be interrupted as I was changing broadband provider not TV provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Your talking out of your ass. Its is nowhere near an offical policy that they are doing this. You know why? Cus it makes no sense at all. Your pissed cus a tired customer service rep who has probably had to deal with countless numbers of cancellations and change overs all day made a mistake. When changing broadband they cancel for you but when changing TV they dont, sometimes people change both so can you understand where the confusion and mistake appeared?

This is not some elaborate plot to have you pay two bills for a month or two so get over yourself. Sky have an awful broadband service and you have decided to get up on your high horse over a miniscule issue you have created in your head and stay with them so please stop trying to justify your decision to yourself.

Now Boys.

We express on the forum what has happened to each one of us and the experience one has had with CS.

I would have left SKY by now if I was certain they the switching would be straight forward. Which it should be.

Although SKY are not providing the fibre service. The service I have received from them has been excellent from BB to TV. Any problems I have had, have been dealt with very quickly.

With the other providers it has not been so.

Yes, at the end of a day many CS are tired and do make mistakes.

But when one changes BB service it should be quite clear that one is doing that and nothing else.

Boys please be civil to each other.

airuser wrote: »
    Now Boys.

We express on the forum what has happened to each one of us and the experience one has had with CS.

I would have left SKY by now if I was certain they the switching would be straight forward. Which it should be.

Although SKY are not providing the fibre service. The service I have received from them has been excellent from BB to TV. Any problems I have had, have been dealt with very quickly.

With the other providers it has not been so.

Yes, at the end of a day many CS are tired and do make mistakes.

But when one changes BB service it should be quite clear that one is doing that and nothing else.

Boys please be civil to each other.

Boys Boys?? Ah here enough is enough of this thread. We'll be getting sent to our class teacher next!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I gave up on waiting for Sky, very disappointed in their attempt to provide competitive broadband in Ireland.

Hello Eircom Fibre!!!

3546735824.png

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Finally jumped to UPC from Sky seeing as Sky fibre is a non-runner in the near or distant future. Pity as I found Sky ADSL2+ very stable but I now enjoy much faster speeds. C'est la vie.

degsie wrote: »
    Finally jumped to UPC from Sky seeing as Sky fibre is a non-runner in the near or distant future. Pity as I found Sky ADSL2+ very stable but I now enjoy much faster speeds. C'est la vie.

What speed are you getting with UPC?

What speed are you getting with UPC?

I have the 60Mbit bundle. I could have gone 120Mbit but got a great deal with 6mth free broadband and phone.

degsie wrote: »
    I have the 60Mbit bundle. I could have gone 120Mbit but got a great deal with 6mth free broadband and phone.

Are you getting the full 60?

• Advertisement

Are you getting the full 60?

Yes I am, and 6Mbit up.

Advertisement