Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flie- Hamster

• 28-05-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So my daughter has a hamster and we love having him here.Were leaving windows open and today I found a dead fly in his cage! Is this dangerous?? We would happily have stuffy house if its dangerous!!

Sorry if its silly Q!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hamsters can occasionally eat insects, though I've never seen any of my little buggers do it. He should be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

So my daughter has a hamster and we love having him here.Were leaving windows open and today I found a dead fly in his cage! Is this dangerous?? We would happily have stuffy house if its dangerous!!

Sorry if its silly Q!?

no harm at all :) hamsters eat them in the wild. but ours love chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pressurised Container

Brill thanks!
    We love Albert (never leave naming duties to a then two year old) We left it late handling him but after perseverance and an oversized hoody he lets her 'kiss' him infact he stands up for her and climbs the cage when we come home in the evening! Always thought ah sure we can replace she wont notice but he is a fully fledged member:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Flies can get in but keeping the cage spotless will help deter them and usually Aldi around this time or year start selling those fly screens or a bit of net curtain (I know hate net curtains) over an open window to deter flies/wasps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Congrats on the hammie!

I've always found that Isabella (another hamster named by little kid!) won't eat stuff is bad for her. But sometimes they will eat insects- mine loves dried mealworms and would probably go mental if I ever gave her a live one!

Keeping the cage clean will really help (not saying you don't, just following another posters advice!)- I find that having a 'toilet' full of chinchilla sand I can spot clean easily every day helps keep smells down, and would probably also help with flies. Just don't use fly spray as hammie noses and lungs are super sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

if you want less flies, there's window stickers that kill the flies on contact. Literally, they touch it and drop dead on the windowsill. (No sprays or those horrible sticky ceiling strips).

But your hamster will be just fine. Don't worry, a fly won't make them sick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pressurised Container

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Yes we love having Albert around! I actually found an old fly net we used to use for the buggy that fits over the cage its very airy (well it was for newborns in the sun so had to be ventilated well) I can throw over if needs be.

I never thought I would be so worried about my hamster hehe, I would be just terrified a bee or wasp came into him!

Thanks again!

Advertisement