Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rosslare-Connolly "retimed" departure of 19:15

• 28-05-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭

IE's 17.55 Rosslare-Connolly even services to connect with ferries from 4 June.

Monday-Saturday 17.55 moved to 19.15
    Sunday 17.40 moved to 19.00 (DART from Bray)

Being trailed over the summer until 31 August. So the saying "use it or lose it" comes to mind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Being trailed over the summer until 31 August. So the saying "use it or lose it" comes to mind.

Sadly, the saying "use it or lose" doesn't come to mind as there will be no promotion of the service but they (IE) can say well we put it on but nobody used it. The early morning ghost train (on the occasions when it wasn't substituted by a bus) from Enniscorthy/Waterford comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

IE know that the loadings will be down drastically due to most commuters who get this train being discommoded now and having to use alternatives. this is just a way of cutting the line back to Wexford or even Gorey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Are they going to move the station back towards the port again too?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Geog1234

Personal view is that whether the evening train departs Wexford at 18.20 (present time) or 19.39 (future time) very few commuters can use the train in either case due to there being no morning commuter train (first southbound train doesn't reach Wexford until noon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sadly, the saying "use it or lose" doesn't come to mind as there will be no promotion of the service but they (IE) can say well we put it on but nobody used it. The early morning ghost train (on the occasions when it wasn't substituted by a bus) from Enniscorthy/Waterford comes to mind.

Its the ferry operators who need to promote it as its their channels that it appeals to as a foot passengers coming to Ireland will view the ferry operator website before the train.
    IE know that the loadings will be down drastically due to most commuters who get this train being discommoded now and having to use alternatives. this is just a way of cutting the line back to Wexford or even Gorey.

Yes because the 17.55 is bursting with commuters as it is.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes because the 17.55 is bursting with commuters as it is.:rolleyes:

The train will lose far more workers and other commuters than it will gain from the very few foot passengers off the ferry. There is plenty of room in Wexford to make that the terminus and lift the line from Wexford to Rosslare harbour.

What are the current loadings on the ferries for foot passengers? how many per sailing into and out of Rosslare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Will this change be properly publicised including in the Irish & UK media and will the SailRail inclusive tickets be extended to Dublin from Fishguard / Rosslare? :rolleyes:

Arriva Trains Wales & Irish Rail with the ferry companies should be heavily promoting SailRail especially during the summer months.

A viable weekend & or summer season service from Rosslare to & from Limerick Junction should also be reintroduced.

Bring back the old style family tickets, two adults & the kids travel free up to a maximum of four, now that was a good deal! :D Early '00's always popular at the time. Especially summer holiday season.

Inter City 125's to Fishguard please!!!!! :D

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The train will lose far more workers and other commuters than it will gain from the very few foot passengers off the ferry. There is plenty of room in Wexford to make that the terminus and lift the line from Wexford to Rosslare harbour.

What are the current loadings on the ferries for foot passengers? how many per sailing into and out of Rosslare?

When they don't have it meeting the ferries people complain and when they do have it meet the ferries people still complain.

I don't know the loading of foot passengers as they can be very varied however I don't IE will see any real benefit of introducing the lather departure.

You need to grow up about Wexford-Rosslare line, it won't be closed, the current level of service will be maintained.
    A viable weekend & or summer season service from Rosslare to & from Limerick Junction should also be reintroduced.

Oh yeah a very profitable idea, all gate keepers need paying, fuel, drivers and so on to cater for a handful of passengers of which none will be guaranteed on any given day. Sure why not have an hourly services between Rosslare and Dublin when we're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

On the British side you can get a ticket from any UK station to any Irish station via Dublin Port/Dún Laoghaire.

Unfortunately when it comes to Rosslare Port the British side will not sell you a ticket past Rosslare Harbour, even though there's perfectly good Irish Rail connections off the 6am Stena Line arrival into Rosslare.

Unless this sail rail ticketing system changes then this plan is doomed for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Oh yeah a very profitable idea, all gate keepers need paying, fuel, drivers and so on to cater for a handful of passengers of which none will be guaranteed on any given day. Sure why not have an hourly services between Rosslare and Dublin when we're at it.

IF there was a proper marketing campaign organised to attract much needed visitors & tourists to southern regions by the relevant rail & ferry companies alongside tourist agencies during the summer months & or weekends then why not? If it doesn't work then end the services.

One section of the Limerick Junction - Rosslare line line is already closed & the other part is running 2 return services a day, so why not try something else to increase passenger numbers?

• Advertisement

Very healthy in my experience. On the Welsh side where they actually time the trains to meet the ferries there's usually 40 to 60 foot passengers using the services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hard to see 40 to 60 using the train at the moment out of Fishguard.... it's a one car unit, which looks fairly empty to me when I see it. I think much of the train traffic to Fishguard is actually locals , borne out by them re-opening the "town" station which more conveniant for locals.

I use the service around once maybe twice a year, purely because I have a soft spot for the Stena Europe. On one of my trips last year ATW ran a two car 153 DMU into Fishguard with around 50pax, nearly all of whom checked in for the ferry. When we got to Rosslare I was the only passenger on the BÉ to Dublin and there was only one passenger on the BÉ to Waterford, everyone else got a lift.

This shows the complete difference between public transport in the two countries. In Fishguard trains timetabled to meet the ferries arrive onto a covered platform that's thirty seconds away from the ferry check in desk. In Rosslare half the time the trains don't meet up with the ferries, and when they do it's a ten minute uncovered walk to a station with no shelter. Is it any wonder nobody uses the train on this side??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BenShermin wrote: »
    I use the service around once maybe twice a year, purely because I have a soft spot for the Stena Europe. On one of my trips last year ATW ran a two car 153 DMU into Fishguard with around 50pax, nearly all of whom checked in for the ferry. When we got to Rosslare I was the only passenger on the BÉ to Dublin and there was only one passenger on the BÉ to Waterford, everyone else got a lift.

Where did these people who checked in go to? They hardly all had lifts arranged in Rosslare or am I missing something here.

Even so, one passenger getting on scheduled buses is frankly very poor; if anything its reason enough to not enhance rail connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There is plenty of room in Wexford to make that the terminus
    wrong, to do it would cost money which wouldn't be saved by closing the line to rosslare europort
    lift the line from Wexford to Rosslare harbour.
    would be a waste of money for no gain, its only a few extra minutes, and as the railway belongs to the people of ireland irish rail lifting it should be counted as echanomic and industrial sabotage which should carry a life sentence

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

When they don't have it meeting the ferries people complain and when they do have it meet the ferries people still complain.

to true, to true
    You need to grow up about Wexford-Rosslare line, it won't be closed, the current level of service will be maintained.

he can't, he has a vendetta about this line and the people down here, mind you it wouldn't surprise me if they did try to close the lot.
    Oh yeah a very profitable idea, all gate keepers need paying, fuel, drivers and so on to cater for a handful of passengers of which none will be guaranteed on any given day.

if irish rail spent their money wisely we could have eliminated all the problems on the rosslare limerick line such as all the crossings and everything else, considering the line survived the rein of terror in the 50s 60s and 70s it should have been invested in.
    Sure why not have an hourly services between Rosslare and Dublin when we're at it.

it would be fantastic if we could get a service every 2 hours, even 3 would be fine, anything better then the current ridiculous level we have, the WRC seems to have a better level of service

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

it's ridiculous that IE have got away with deliberately sabotaging the Rosslare to Limerick line...it has quite large towns enroute, not to mention Waterford and deserves a much better service (Ie Not no trains and more than 2 each way!)

I watched the 11am (ish) from Carrick depart on saturday and there actually were a surprising number boarding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Cost I'm afraid - the current service pattern means only one split shift is required to work the gates

Also the line is now ICR operated, integrated with the Dublin/Waterford route.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Cost I'm afraid - the current service pattern means only one split shift is required to work the gates

exactly, we had so much money for years yet this line still has gate keepers, shambles

and yet in the US they can operate massive freight trains with unfenced tracks and no crossing gates and even down the street in cities.....

• Advertisement

To be fair they have got rid of many gate keepers over the last few years, automatic barriers don't come cheap something like 2500,000 per crossing. Until most on the Limerick J-Waterford line are automatic then service levels will remain low. I think the line has 3 or 4 automatic ones now, one or two that were done a year or two ago. Whatever funding is available for automating crossings is likely to go to areas where manual crossings are causing time delays to trains/traffic. So far this year about 3 automatic crossing were put into operation and with there current financial position I can't many more planned for this year.
    it's ridiculous that IE have got away with deliberately sabotaging the Rosslare to Limerick line...it has quite large towns enroute, not to mention Waterford and deserves a much better service (Ie Not no trains and more than 2 each way!)

Large towns only between Limerick and Waterford and not on the Rosslare section, you can't say they deliberately sabotaging the line when they are doing what make best financial sense which long term could ensure it has some sort of future once they have funding to cut operational costs on it. They have replaced most of the line between Waterford and Limerick J.
    I watched the 11am (ish) from Carrick depart on saturday and there actually were a surprising number boarding it.

Saturdays is always a very busy day, the 7.20 to Limerick J and 9.45 return are always well used.
    if irish rail spent their money wisely we could have eliminated all the problems on the rosslare limerick line such as all the crossings and everything else, considering the line survived the rein of terror in the 50s 60s and 70s it should have been invested in.

Be a little realistic as if that was the case then other major intercity routes would have crossings remove first.
    it would be fantastic if we could get a service every 2 hours, even 3 would be fine, anything better then the current ridiculous level we have, the WRC seems to have a better level of service

I think that 5 services each way weekdays is a reasonable service, if there was a case to increase services they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This is a good move by IE. It makes no sense letting a lightly used train off before the ferry arrives. Now nobody is expecting there to be hundreds of people cramming onto the train when the ferry arrives, however it now makes the journey possible by rail.

The problem will be a lack of knowledge by the general public of this change for the summer. Advertising needs to be done in South Wales of a viable alternative to flying as a way of getting to the south east of Ireland and Dublin. Coupled with that you have to have a simple good value fare with one through ticket like the sail rail through Dublin and Belfast.

Where did these people who checked in go to? They hardly all had lifts arranged in Rosslare or am I missing something here.

Even so, one passenger getting on scheduled buses is frankly very poor; if anything its reason enough to not enhance rail connections.

A lot of people leave their cars in Rosslare car park and others had lifts.

It's frankly nonsense to suggest that poor patronage of buses is reason not to enhance connections. On the Welsh side every ferry has a train connection, the journey from train to ferry is completely covered and there's intergrated ticketing. The Irish side has NONE of that! It's no wonder people don't bother with public transport on this side.

I think that 5 services each way weekdays is a reasonable service
    i don't, look how sligo did when they got increased services, yes a couple have been cut but a 5 hour gap in service down here apart from the morning ups and evening downs is not acceptable anymore, all the money we had and much of the railway speed and service wise is a shambles compared to when it was built
    if there was a case to increase services they would.
    not if they could get away with it, you have read the few posts on RUI about this? apparently we can have changes as long as theirs no cost, otherwise known as, if your good little boys and girls you can have a few crums from the table

don't, look how sligo did when they got increased services, yes a couple have been cut but a 5 hour gap in service down here apart from the morning ups and evening downs is not acceptable anymore, all the money we had and much of the railway speed and service wise is a shambles compared to when it was built

Sligo is very different to Rosslare line and what Sligo achieved will never be happen on the Rosslare line. You should be comparing Rosslare with Wesport lines more so than Sligo. Westport have a 5 hour gap, they had a 6+ hour one and that was filled with an extra services as demand was there.
    not if they could get away with it, you have read the few posts on RUI about this? apparently we can have changes as long as theirs no cost, otherwise known as, if your good little boys and girls you can have a few crums from the table

If an extra service can make money IE would operate it.

Yes I have read the posts but you can see IE want to keep operational costs down as you have read 22 million in the red last year and I expect a little less this year. It's hard to blame them not wanting to increase costs as this would be applied on all routes unless demand is high enough to operate an extra services that makes a return for them.

Large towns only between Limerick and Waterford and not on the Rosslare section, you can't say they deliberately sabotaging the line when they are doing what make best financial sense which long term could ensure it has some sort of future once they have funding to cut operational costs on it. They have replaced most of the line between Waterford and Limerick J.

yes but people in large towns (Limerick, Tipperary,Cahir, Clonmel Carrick, Waterford...that's two cities plus connections to a third at LJ) might like to travel to the UK via Rosslare if there was a proper service. They are cutting operating costs by emasculating the service...ripping out all the loops for instance (only Clonmel and Carrick left I think with Carrick on borrowed time)

If there is no service there will be no passengers.....the ONLY way to get an increase in passengers is to improve the service

lxflyer wrote: »

I don't accept that at all. If that's the case why not have a service in each direction crossing at Clonmel? No more employees needed as they are already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A lot of people leave their cars in Rosslare car park and others had lifts.

Fair enough. But ask this; are they coming from places which are bus or rail linked in the first place?
    It's frankly nonsense to suggest that poor patronage of buses is reason not to enhance connections. On the Welsh side every ferry has a train connection, the journey from train to ferry is completely covered and there's intergrated ticketing. The Irish side has NONE of that! It's no wonder people don't bother with public transport on this side.

Do you think that better train connections will actually do better than buses? Even so, approx 50 people off a ferry port is not a lot all; a bus should be well able to cater for this amount.

Somewhere in the house I've a report from IRRS about extra train connections for Rosslare arising from the Ash Cloud a few years ago. They make some telling reading on this issue.

corktina wrote: »
    yes but people in large towns (Limerick, Tipperary,Cahir, Clonmel Carrick, Waterford...that's two cities plus connections to a third at LJ) might like to travel to the UK via Rosslare if there was a proper service. They are cutting operating costs by emasculating the service...ripping out all the loops for instance (only Clonmel and Carrick left I think with Carrick on borrowed time)

If there is no service there will be no passengers.....the ONLY way to get an increase in passengers is to improve the service

might being the problem, people traveling to the UK is not enough to support a line, you also need fare paying passengers.

What % of these people might consider flying instead?
    I don't accept that at all. If that's the case why not have a service in each direction crossing at Clonmel? No more employees needed as they are already there.

Because demand doesn't justify it, Limerick J is very dependent on connections and what viable connections are they to have passengers on a 7.20 service to Waterford? Even departing from Limerick at 07.00 would still almost no passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

You can call it a dig if you like but the reality is that DSP passengers are not going to keep a line operating, that's all I mean.

@ post 30

that's very defeatist!

There's no demand currently because the service is crap, and deliberately crap at that! There's two things you can do, improve the service or pack it in.

The hinterland is there, as I've demonstrated, not just to the Ferry but between and bewixt the Cities and Towns . The Infrastruture is largely in good shape, all that's missing is the train service.

Listen I'm merely explaining why the current service pattern exists. As before when i explained that the earliest a boat train could leave at was 19:15, you seem to have a problem accepting that I might actually be right? Frankly I wonder why I should even bother posting here any more.

The previous service of three trains required two complete shifts of gate keepers and signalmen - the current one requires one shift. They work in the morning, break in the middle of the day and return for the evening.

Your suggestion would require an extra driver, guard and an extra train for both shifts.

I'm no happier about the service pattern than you are but I'm realistic to know that at the moment an expansion is unlikely to happen on a route such as this given the financial constraints that the company finds itself in.

grand so, but does that stop more trains running (ASSUMING THE LINE TO WATERFORD WAS RE-OPENED) in the periods when they ARE there? there's one each way in each half of their shift...is it impossible that there could be TWO each way in each half shift?

As for cost...well were the service to be fully revived, maybe we'd be able to afford two shifts.....because sure as eggs, services run this way are going to die.

It could be possible technically to operate an additional return service between Limerick Junction and Waterford crossing at Clonmel, but the following obstacles would exist (which I'm outlining to you as a matter of technical fact, rather than necessarily something I support):

A lack of available trains - you would need an additional set to operate the extra trains (given the current restrictions imposed by maintenance on sets in traffic due to funding restrictions)

A need for additional traincrew for each shift - extra costs involved

Pathing wise:
    The down service would have to leave Limerick Junction at 07:10 - with connections from Limerick and Cork. The return would be at 09:45, but would arrive at LJ at 11:32, missing the connection to Dublin and only just making a connection to Cork.

Similarly the evening service would have to leave LJ at 16:18, just making a connection from Limerick and Cork (none from Dublin) and the return from Waterford would be at 18:40 arriving at LJ for 20:25, again missing a Dublin connection but providing connections to Limerick and Cork.

As for Waterford/Rosslare, that's a whole different kettle of fish, but you would need an additional set, crews, gatekeepers, and signalmen to operate it and frankly the trains (based on the current schedule between Waterford and Limerick Junction) would not have very poor connectivity with any boats. Reinstating the previous service pattern of a connection from Rosslare in the morning at 07:00 with a long wait at Waterford, and the evening service at 18:10 would be about the only option of any through service.

• Advertisement

Amazing how a bus is alright for Rosslare Europort customers but it's a horrible means of transport comparing to the train on the Cork/Limerick/Galway to Dublin routes.

I think there's a mind-set problem over gate-keepers.... what should be possible would be to replace the gates with standard traffic lights, operated by the approaching train. In fact it should be possible to replace them with mere signs. I can't see it happen in Ireland tbh, but it is the case in many parts of the world...you don't "stop look and listen" at your peril.

Going back to first principles, once you start making cuts, it's a one-way street to closure. Cutting the third service to Limerick Junc (should be Limerick through service really...) doesn't mean those passengers using the other two services, it means you have lost those passengers forever to the roads, whilst keeping all the fixed costs and I doubt any Managers were cut at all. It's mis-management basically.

As for shortage of trains, that's not the case, there are loads of reasonably youthful units sat around all day.Extra Traincrew? what happened to the ones driving the third service? Also you might be able to retrain some of those gatekeepers and signalmen if you took up the traffic light approach....

No problem is insurmountable when you have a management that isn't dedicated to closure by stealth or maintaining the status quo.

Sligo is very different to Rosslare line
    how?
    what Sligo achieved will never be happen on the Rosslare line.
    well that is very true, IE will make sure thats the case
    You should be comparing Rosslare with Wesport lines more so than Sligo.
    i think their all a fair comparison
    Westport have a 5 hour gap, they had a 6+ hour one and that was filled with an extra services as demand was there.
    and i wonder how they knew the demand was there? they would have had to run the extra service to find out for sure that the demand was there
    If an extra service can make money IE would operate it.
    yeah, the WRC is the most proffitable railway in the country
    Yes I have read the posts but you can see IE want to keep operational costs down as you have read 22 million in the red last year and I expect a little less this year.
    well with fairs so high and no innovation what do you expect? keeping costs down is all well in good but if its to the detriment to the railway's development then its a waste.
    It's hard to blame them not wanting to increase costs as this would be applied on all routes unless demand is high enough to operate an extra services that makes a return for them.
    very few services make a return for irish rail, we both know why that is

I think there's a mind-set problem over gate-keepers.... what should be possible would be to replace the gates with standard traffic lights, operated by the approaching train. In fact it should be possible to replace them with mere signs. I can't see it happen in Ireland tbh, but it is the case in many parts of the world...you don't "stop look and listen" at your peril.

Going back to first principles, once you start making cuts, it's a one-way street to closure. Cutting the third service to Limerick Junc (should be Limerick through service really...) doesn't mean those passengers using the other two services, it means you have lost those passengers forever to the roads, whilst keeping all the fixed costs and I doubt any Managers were cut at all. It's mis-management basically.

As for shortage of trains, that's not the case, there are loads of reasonably youthful units sat around all day.Extra Traincrew? what happened to the ones driving the third service? Also you might be able to retrain some of those gatekeepers and signalmen if you took up the traffic light approach....

No problem is insurmountable when you have a management that isn't dedicated to closure by stealth or maintaining the status quo.

I don't disagree that problems are not insurmountable but the reality is that the company is operating within certain budgetary constraints right now and that is dictating how many sets the CME can allow in traffic.

As far as crews are concerned - the third service operated using the two existing train crews. If you start operating additional services at the same time as the existing ones, you will need an additional crew for each.

As I said above I am not disagreeing with you on the need for additional services, just pointing out the problems that you face.

well if they weren't busy ripping out all the loops on rosslare limerick then maybe through services allowing for connections and the boat could be possible, but as said when you have a bunch of good for nothing wasters in charge who are dead set on shutting and ripping up the lot then one can't be surprised that this line and others are only heading one way, closure

• Advertisement

If some of the posters on boards were in charge of IE the company would be in breach of company law with hours of them taking office and shut down a very short time lather.
    how?

Poor bus service, bad roads and the train is about the fastest way to get there. Revenue per passenger much higher than that of Rosslare.
    well that is very true, IE will make sure thats the case

If they did Rosslare or most other routes would not achieve it. Demand for Sligo services was down to daily commuters which played a major role in increasing numbers.
    and i wonder how they knew the demand was there? they would have had to run the extra service to find out for sure that the demand was there

through customer feedback, loadings on trains either side of the new services. Yes they took a risk but they were almost certain that it would pay off and I expect it will be kept next year.
    yeah, the WRC is the most proffitable railway in the country

We all know those loses are being put up with for political and IE know they can't make any attempt to close it however while Leo V is transport minister they have a better chance of being able to cut services as he knows the line is a while elephant. I can see them getting away with dropping from 5 to 4 daily next year without causing any major political controversy.
    well with fairs so high and no innovation what do you expect? keeping costs down is all well in good but if its to the detriment to the railway's development then its a waste.

Online fares are very reasonable and they must be working well as revenue increase last year with them even though passengers dropped.
    very few services make a return for irish rail, we both know why that is

Yes and this is why they don't want to add to that but if they were payed for all passengers then every service across the network would make excellent returns.

i think the suggestion really is that someone other than IE might make a better job of it, using resources better. That's the experience over the water, If you give someone a job to improve things and their future prospects depend on it, I think you'll see an improvement.It seems to me there is very little incentive for anyone in IE management to actually do anything innovative.

i think the suggestion really is that someone other than IE might make a better job of it, using resources better. That's the experience over the water, If you give someone a job to improve things and their future prospects depend on it, I think you'll see an improvement.It seems to me there is very little incentive for anyone in IE management to actually do anything innovative.

A new operator may do a great job but I don't think people on here understand the cost of running a railway or even single train service.

Remember there is nobody stopping a new operator from opening Rosslare to Waterford but they don't seem to want to operate it either.

I don't think people on here understand the cost of running a railway or even single train service.
    exactly, a railway costs money to run, if your not willing to spend the money on running it, then expect usage to be low
    Remember there is nobody stopping a new operator from opening Rosslare to Waterford
    are you sure? i can't imagine irish rail would be happy about any private operator getting any sort of foot hold even if its operating a section of railway irish rail doesn't want to operate.

exactly, a railway costs money to run, if your not willing to spend the money on running it, then expect usage to be low

are you sure? i can't imagine irish rail would be happy about any private operator getting any sort of foot hold even if its operating a section of railway irish rail doesn't want to operate.

Spending money is all well and good but will the amount spend give a return and some on top. I don't think so.

Part of the T & C's of the closure was another operate could take it over and IE had to assist in making it possible if required and this was before the EU protection thing wasn't renewed by Transport minister which opens the network up to anyone.

The FB group said that a number of operators were "Interested" in taking it over but nothing came of it.

"Spending money is all well and good but will the amount spend give a return and some on top. I don't think so."
    Tantamount to fiddling whilst Rome burns. The choices are doing nothing (or worse cutting services in the name of economy) or thinking outside the box and promoting services.

Very soon , all these marginal lines will start falling by the wayside if we allow IE to run down the Infrastructure and services to the point where it is no longer viable.

PS noone was interested in Rosslare to Waterford, but maybe they might be interested in Rosslare to Limerick, I can't begin to understand how 5 services a day can be run to Galway from Limerick but only 2 to Waterford et al.

"Spending money is all well and good but will the amount spend give a return and some on top. I don't think so."
    Tantamount to fiddling whilst Rome burns. The choices are doing nothing (or worse cutting services in the name of economy) or thinking outside the box and promoting services.

Very soon , all these marginal lines will start falling by the wayside if we allow IE to run down the Infrastructure and services to the point where it is no longer viable.

PS noone was interested in Rosslare to Waterford, but maybe they might be interested in Rosslare to Limerick, I can't begin to understand how 5 services a day can be run to Galway from Limerick but only 2 to Waterford et al.

The whole Galway-limerick line cant be counted as it is only open as a political and egotistical stunt. It was never and never will be profitable or well used. Why should irish rail spend even more money on this line which has a proven track record of poor patronage and high costs? They're running a railway but keeping these dead lines going only runs the railway into the ground.

well then, that's what should be done...if it's a matter of economy, these lines should be shut and a bus service installed where there isn't already one.

Personally though, I'd prefer that a proper stab at making a go of them was made, rather than the closure by stealth attitude of IE. Then if it's proved that they can't be revived, let them go.

well then, that's what should be done...if it's a matter of economy, these lines should be shut and a bus service installed where there isn't already one.

Personally though, I'd prefer that a proper stab at making a go of them was made, rather than the closure by stealth attitude of IE. Then if it's proved that they can't be revived, let them go.

What else can any company do? Irish rail and even cie before that have been shuffling and swapping and changing times in the hope of finding a timetable that works.

This line and the nenagh branch line have been doomed for years. Not by irish rail but by the way we live and work now and we aren't as dependent on the railway as we once were.

This is progress and for the most part it is good. If people dont like it they should find some place where time has stood still for the last fifty years.

would that we could eh Foggy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement