Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Bid to Host Underage World Cups

• 28-05-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

Ireland have put in a bid in time for today's deadline to host the U17 and U20 Men's and Women's World Cups.

http://www.fifa.com/...5775/index.html
    The executive welcomed the high interest in hosting a FIFA competition, as shown by the number of countries that submitted a bid to host the following tournaments:
    - FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2016 (Norway, Republic of Ireland, South Africa)
    - FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2016 (Bahrain, Jordan, Republic of Ireland, South Africa)
    - FIFA U-20 World Cup 2017 (Bahrain, France, Korea Republic, Mexico, Poland, Republic of Ireland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Tunisia, Ukraine)
    - FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 (India, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, Uzbekistan)
    - FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2017 (Argentina, Bahrain, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, India, Israel, Mexico, Seychelles, South Africa, Turkey)
    It's great to be bidding for these underage tournaments. We might never host a senior international one (bar the Four Nations Cup...), but these ones are much more likely for our modest facilities. It'd no doubt be a boost for football in this country, as well.

Looking at the previous tournaments of the U20s and U17s Men's and U20s Women's, the standard of facilities seems to be very high (four or more stadia at 20,000+ capacity for the Women's and 30,000+ for the Men's), so I wouldn't think we'd get them. But the last Women's U17 World Cup had three stadiums less than 10,000 (one of which was only 3,000), one at 10,000 and one at 30,000, so it's very possible that we might host that.

We'd probably have some of the following stadia (seated capacity only):

Lansdowne Road - 51,000
    RDS - 16,500
    Thomond Park - 15,100
    Turner's Cross - 7,300
    Tallaght - 6,000
    Showgrounds - 4,000
    Terryland/Eamon Deacy Park 3,300
    RSC - 3,100
    Lissywollen - 2,500 (but, with only one stand, it has plenty of room to build or install permanent or temporary stands on the other sides of the ground)

Maybe Finn Harps' new stadium, Markets Field or Musgrave Park if they're (re)developed to a good enough level as well as/instead of some of the above.

Regardless of the age group or whether it's men's or women's, it'd be fantastic to have a football world cup held in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Ireland have put in a bid in time for today's deadline to host the U17 and U20 Men's and Women's World Cups.

http://www.fifa.com/...5775/index.html

It's great to be bidding for these underage tournaments. We might never host a senior international one (bar the Four Nations Cup...), but these ones are much more likely for our modest facilities. It'd no doubt be a boost for football in this country, as well.

Looking at the previous tournaments of the U20s and U17s Men's and U20s Women's, the standard of facilities seems to be very high (four or more stadia at 20,000+ capacity for the Women's and 30,000+ for the Men's), so I wouldn't think we'd get them. But the last Women's U17 World Cup had three stadiums less than 10,000 (one of which was only 3,000), one at 10,000 and one at 30,000, so it's very possible that we might host that.

We'd probably have some of the following stadia:

Lansdowne Road - 51,000
    Thomond Park - 15,100 (seats only - perhaps bucket seating could be placed in the terraces)
    Turner's Cross - 7,000
    Tallaght - 6,000
    Showgrounds - 4,000
    RSC - 3,100
    Terryland - 3,300 seated

Maybe Finn Harps' new stadium, Markets Field or Musgrave Park if they're (re)developed to a good enough level as well as/instead of some of the above.

Regardless of the age group or whether it's men's or women's, it'd be fantastic to have a football world cup held in Ireland.

I really, really hope we get a Women's competition. I think a road trip would be in order!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tallaght had temporary seating installed to increase it's capacity to 8,000 (I think) when Rovers were in the Europa league, so maybe could be used again if necessary.

Would be great if we got any of them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

We'd probably have some of the following stadia:

Lansdowne Road - 51,000
    Thomond Park - 15,100 (seats only - perhaps bucket seating could be placed in the terraces)
    Turner's Cross - 7,000
    Tallaght - 6,000
    Showgrounds - 4,000
    RSC - 3,100

Add in Buckley Park. That has hosted plenty of underage internationals over the years.

It'll need to be cleaned up a bit but it's well capable of hosting a game or three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lissywollen hosts a few Irish underage internationals, I wouldn't be surprised if it was used to host a few games given the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Tallaght had temporary seating installed to increase it's capacity to 8,000 (I think) when Rovers were in the Europa league, so maybe could be used again if necessary.

Would be great if we got any of them.

Not sure if FIFA would allow those type of seats, but if they did, you could install them in the Showgrounds, the RSC and maybe Terryland, too. Would be handy for Sligo, if they were in Europe around the same time as the finals and had some/all of the costs of the temporary seating paid for.

Add in Buckley Park. That has hosted plenty of underage internationals over the years.

It'll need to be cleaned up a bit but it's well capable of hosting a game or three.

1,850 seats according to Wiki. Doubt that'd be enough for FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I believe that this is a positive development as I do think that we would be more than capable of hosting competitions of this sort. Any of those competitions would be a big coup but i feel that the biggest of those competitions (the mens U20 competition) may be out of our reach.

If you compare the stadia used in this years U20 competition in Turkey and the previous one in Colombia in 2011 you can see that (in terms of capacity at least) football stadia in ireland is far behind. Some of the other countries bidding may have stronger bids based on existing infrastructure.

Can any of the grounds mentioned in this thread be expanded for these competitions? Certainly any ground improvements I'm sure would be more than welcome.

I think that if we do manage to win one of these bids it would most likely be one of the womens competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

We should have gone for the Beach Football world cup

1,850 seats according to Wiki. Doubt that'd be enough for FIFA.

That could possibly be extended but there wouldn't be much point considering it's not being used by any team at the moment. Would be great to get some football down there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The mens one would bring in a lot more revenue, fingers crossed we get that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Bray would be perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I remember we hosted the under 17's or something in about 95 or so. Went to some of the games in Dundalk and Drogheda and it was pretty cool that Spain used the pitches in my village for their prep so a few of us from school went over to watch and lend a hand as ball boys etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bray would be perfect

what? Bray beach has no sand, it's a pebble beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Off to Lahinch, Kilkee and Spanish Point...half the tournament would be held in Clare!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

Just getting a chance to look here now.

The only stadia capable of hosting these events would be

Lansdowne
    Thomond
    Tallaght
    Turners Cross
    Deacy Park (Terryland)
    New Harps stadium when finished
    City Calling Stadium - Longford
    Showgrounds Sligo

Buckley Park would be nowhere near it. Lissywollen would be just too small in my opinion. RSC could be used at a push, but would need temporary seating installed.

Think it would be a fantastic idea though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nigeldinho wrote: »
    Just getting a chance to look here now.

The only stadia capable of hosting these events would be

Lansdowne
    Thomond
    Tallaght
    Turners Cross
    Deacy Park (Terryland)
    New Harps stadium when finished
    City Calling Stadium - Longford
    Showgrounds Sligo

Buckley Park would be nowhere near it. Lissywollen would be just too small in my opinion. RSC could be used at a push, but would need temporary seating installed.

Think it would be a fantastic idea though.

In the designs for Lissywollen there was expansion potential of 10,000 seats. The first stand (the one built so far) was the smaller of the two main stands, and behind both goals can fit almost as many people each if built.

With temporary seating it can take up to 7,000 people.

Of course it has the potential, I'm well aware of the expansion potential.

But at the minute, there are no plans to expand it.

Temporary seating wouldn't fit so well there either without a big clearance, and there's very little in the way of media space in the ground, which wouldn't be easily placed in temporary stands, which itself is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'd like to see Ireland get one of these tournaments but not if they get special permission to use temporary seating. Great potential for some investment in facilities around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Very unlikely we'd get the U-20 Mens, but would say there's a good chance we'd get one of the others, especially since we bothered to put 4 bids in, and they might stay away from South Africa since the last World Cup was there. I'd say it's between India and us for the U-17's mens, since Uzbekistan would be a weird choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be great if got one. Agree with poster above in that U17 might be best chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

If Ireland get either one of the tournaments, do UEFA give funding/grants to develop the stadia proposed or do the host nation have to fork out?

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Very unlikely we'd get the U-20 Mens, but would say there's a good chance we'd get one of the others, especially since we bothered to put 4 bids in, and they might stay away from South Africa since the last World Cup was there. I'd say it's between India and us for the U-17's mens, since Uzbekistan would be a weird choice

That means they're favourites :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Looking at the list and countries involved, i'd say we are likely to get the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2016 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

As far as I know, there are only five grounds in the Country that match up for a World Cup event: AVIVA, Croke Park, RDS, Thomond and Tallaght Stadium. There are a lot more things to consider than the number of seats, one of the main ones being, floodlights. The above grounds are the only ones who pass in that regard with sufficient lux values. There are also things like media facilities, medical facilities etc. Temporary seating would not be considered.
    Teams would also need separate hotels. Also, proper training facilities, swimming pools etc.

As far as I know, there are only five grounds in the Country that match up for a World Cup event: AVIVA, Croke Park, RDS, Thomond and Tallaght Stadium. There are a lot more things to consider than the number of seats, one of the main ones being, floodlights. The above grounds are the only ones who pass in that regard with sufficient lux values. There are also things like media facilities, medical facilities etc. Temporary seating would not be considered.
    Teams would also need separate hotels. Also, proper training facilities, swimming pools etc.

Underage competitions aren't as strict as the senior ones.

Plenty of grounds in the country have hosted underage international matches, as well as senior European games.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Looking at the list and countries involved, i'd say we are likely to get the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2016 here

I'd love it.

It'd be very likely too seeing the way women's soccer has come on so well with the Gaynor Cups and Women's National League. The amount of players playing at international level in the WNL is pretty impressive too.

The Ireland U-17's made it to the final of the Euros in 2010 and qualified for the World Cup so we've had a little bit of recent success at this age group.

The stadia here would be an ideal size for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

This years U17 WC is being held in the UAE in stadia with the following capcaties (from Wiki)

So why could we not use some or all of these (from the OP) The numbers are (roughly) comparable
    Lansdowne Road - 51,000
    RDS - 16,500
    Thomond Park - 15,100
    Turner's Cross - 7,300
    Tallaght - 6,000
    Showgrounds - 4,000
    Terryland/Eamon Deacy Park 3,300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Think we only have a shot at the Womens, specifically the U17's. I'd be surprised if we got any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

****-up a in brewery could not organise a.

Arrange the above words into a sentence. Although seeing as they see international football as being real football, as opposed to what the League of Ireland is apparently, they might actually do a better than half-assed job..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd love it.

It'd be very likely too seeing the way women's soccer has come on so well with the Gaynor Cups and Women's National League. The amount of players playing at international level in the WNL is pretty impressive too.

Naugton from Galway is leading the WNL now isn't he? From what I've heard, football is the last thing on his mind.

• Advertisement

LOI Stats wrote: »
    Naugton from Galway is leading the WNL now isn't he? From what I've heard, football is the last thing on his mind.

I don't know anything about Naughton to be honest. I think he's the chairman.

The WNL is going well though and there seems to be a new team joining every season but just like the LOI, marketing has been next to non-existant.

nigeldinho wrote: »
    Underage competitions aren't as strict as the senior ones.

Plenty of grounds in the country have hosted underage international matches, as well as senior European games.

There would be a requirement for all games to be televised in HD. That is why the grounds chosen would have to have floodlights up to a certain lux standard. Only 5 grounds in Ireland are up to the standard.
    St Pats had to move their European game to Tallaght Stadium last season. Drogheda had a friendly fixed for Tallaght Stadium recently because it was going out live in Turkey.
    A World Cup Finals Tournament is a much different story to staging an underage international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

There would be a requirement for all games to be televised in HD. That is why the grounds chosen would have to have floodlights up to a certain lux standard. Only 5 grounds in Ireland are up to the standard.
    St Pats had to move their European game to Tallaght Stadium last season. Drogheda had a friendly fixed for Tallaght Stadium recently because it was going out live in Turkey.
    A World Cup Finals Tournament is a much different story to staging an underage international.

St. Pats chose to move their game to Tallaght due to bigger cappacity. Drogheda's match was in Drogheda, but never materialised due to an unplayable pitch.

St. Pats chose to move their game to Tallaght due to bigger cappacity. Drogheda's match was in Drogheda, but never materialised due to an unplayable pitch.

You are wrong on both counts. Pats were ok using their ground for the early round in the competition. However, once they progressed, their ground didn't have the required UEFA grade.
    Drogheda's match with Trabzonspor at Tallaght Stadium was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Time they upgraded some of those grounds (especially Tallaght) to all seater stadia. It wouldn't cost much and would make our chances of hosting these events a lot more straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

titan18 wrote: »

Why would Uzbekistan be a weird choice?

• Advertisement

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Time they upgraded some of those grounds (especially Tallaght) to all seater stadia. It wouldn't cost much and would make our chances of hosting these events a lot more straightforward.

Tallaght Stadium is an all seated stadium ( just under 6000 ).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

aindriu80 wrote: »

Who do you expect to pay for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Germans?? Im sure if John Delaney put on his best brut then took Angela Merkel for a quick spin of the dancefloor,be putty in his hand.

Money in the bank sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Obviously it depends on a lot of factors, but on average, what would be the expected cost per stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

It would be wonderful exposure for Ireland if we won any of these bids. International exposure to our wonderful grounds (I presume automatic qualification for the tournament in question). Having hosted the Europa League final a few years back FIFA have something to go on. I would expect the bulk of the matches in the later stages to be held in or around Dublin due to the facilities needed larger stadiums etc (Semi Finals, 3rd Place Playoff, Final)

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Obviously it depends on a lot of factors, but on average, what would be the expected cost per stand?

More than LOI clubs can afford.

lycan238 wrote: »
    It would be wonderful exposure for Ireland if we won any of these bids. International exposure to our wonderful grounds

What wonderful grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Perhaps being naive here but maybe this is the opportunity now to develope some decent municipal grounds around the country, possibly joint ventures between the government, various sporting bodies a possibly the private sector.

What wonderful grounds?

A the moment the aviva, croke park (if they allow games to be held there,) the RDS, Thomand Park just to name a few. Lets not forget the many counyt GAA grounds around the country like Breffni Park in Cavan which is hosting the first international rules game later this year.

lycan238 wrote: »
    A the moment the aviva, croke park (if they allow games to be held there,) the RDS, Thomand Park just to name a few. Lets not forget the many counyt GAA grounds around the country like Breffni Park in Cavan which is hosting the first international rules game later this year.

The first two are the only grounds in the country that I'd consider to be of a very good standard.

The first two are the only grounds in the country that I'd consider to be of a very good standard.

fair enough. the first two are 2 grounds that I would hope would see plenty of games. I am always going to favour Breffni Park (as I am from Cavan).

And Thomond Park surely?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And Thomond Park surely?

It's fairly good relative to the region it supports. If it was located in the UK or Germany, it wouldn't be considered as such. Croke Park and Lansdowne would be considered great stadia in any country.

It's fairly good relative to the region it supports. If it was located in the UK or Germany, it wouldn't be considered as such. Croke Park and Lansdowne would be considered great stadia in any country.

Have you been in it? It's very nice. The sound is great in it IMO.

What constitutes a great stadium? The number of seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

if temporary seating isn't allowed doesn't that screw over the rds (in its present form)? the north and south stands are temporary, even if they are there 95% of the year

• Advertisement
Advertisement