Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Bid to Host Underage World Cups

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

lycan238 wrote: »
    A the moment the aviva, croke park (if they allow games to be held there,) the RDS, Thomand Park just to name a few. Lets not forget the many counyt GAA grounds around the country like Breffni Park in Cavan which is hosting the first international rules game later this year.

I honestly think that they should not consider the use of GAA stadia for an underage world cup as it should surely be possible to host using only league of ireland teams stadiums (plus thomond & rds for example).

If any funding is put forward then the FAI should put it into development of LOI stadia around the country. Regional towns with established teams such as Dundalk and Drogheda would benefit greatly.

GAA stadia just shouldn't be necessary (not even croke park, it would be too big) for an underage soccer world cup imo. However a bid for say the rugby would cup would not be able to happen at all without the gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I wonder if this went ahead would GAA/Rugby grounds be used as the capacity in these grounds are much higher than football grounds

McHale Park Castlebar - 38,000
    Semple Stadium - 26,000
    Gaelic Grounds - 35,000
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 19,500
    Thomond Park - 15,100

All above are just a few from around the country which can hold over 10,000 seated, if the GAA were up for this I don't see how we couldn't be able to hold them, would be great for the country in many ways aswell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Have you been in it? It's very nice. The sound is great in it IMO.

What constitutes a great stadium? The number of seats?

Yeah I was in it for a Limerick game. It has a bit of character and it suits the needs of the resident teams perfectly. It doesn't really have the same aura as some other great stadia I've been in though. It might be the open ends or perhaps even the capacity.

It'd be a great venue for an underage World Cup for sure. I just don't think it's an example of Ireland's "excellent stadia".

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

I wonder if this went ahead would GAA/Rugby grounds be used as the capacity in these grounds are much higher than football grounds

Semple Stadium - 26,000
    Gaelic Grounds - 35,000
    Thomond Park - 15,100

All above are just a few from around the country which can hold over 10,000 seated, if the GAA were up for this I don't see how we couldn't be able to hold them, would be great for the country in many ways aswell

GAA grounds would be nowhere near UEFA or FIFA standards. They may be much bigger, but there are poor League of Ireland grounds with better facilities than some of the county GAA grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

what? Bray beach has no sand, it's a pebble beach.

Pretty sure he ment the Carlise Grounds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Semple Stadium - 26,000
    Gaelic Grounds - 35,000
    Thomond Park - 15,100

Its U-20 and U-17 tournaments that we're talking about here. Talk of Croke Park and 35,000+ grounds around the country is lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

GAA grounds should not be an option. It would defeat the purpose if we got the tournament and then used the facilities of another organisation. There would be little to no benefit to football in this country. Besides, as mentioned above, most GAA grounds are not in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Turner's Cross
    Tallaght Stadium
    Thoman Park
    Aviva Stadium

Are the only stadiums capable of hosting the tournament tomorrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup

The u20 tournament in Turkey this summer has 7 modern stadiums.

That makes Ireland 3 decent stadiums short...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Pretty sure he ment the Carlise Grounds ;)

Actually I was being sarcastic but left out the :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement