Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing the shower holding plate on a Gaggia Classic

• 28-05-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of the semi-annual process of cleaning my Gaggia Classic and I'm stuck at the same point again so I'm looking for a little help.

I've taken off the shower head, and I've removed the two allen screws which hold in the shower holding plate - step 6 in this process - http://www.bluebox.com.au/jcrayon/gaggia/

But now the shower holding plate won't come off. This is possibly because it's being held in place by several months worth of coffee grinds which have formed a bond with it.

I've tried levering it from the side, I've tried levering it with assorted things in the sockets/holes that are exposed, but it just won't budge. It used to come off easily enough, but in recent years it's more and more troublesome.

Does anyone have any tips for getting it loose?

Thanks,

z

p.s. is this guy really, really thorough, or do other people go to this level of disassembly when cleaning theirs - http://protofusion.org/wordpress/2012/04/gaggia-classic-disassembly-and-cleaning/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Do you have a blank disc for backflushing?
    Put some cleaner into that and leave it sit for 20 mins or so, should loosen it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks - will try.

Actually that brings up a good point. I have descaler & cleaner - does it make sense to let them have at the machine first and then go in and see what's left, or does it make sense to attack it manually first and clean off the big obvious bits and then let the descaler & cleaner go to work on the difficult stuff?

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

zagmund wrote: »
    Thanks - will try.

Actually that brings up a good point. I have descaler & cleaner - does it make sense to let them have at the machine first and then go in and see what's left, or does it make sense to attack it manually first and clean off the big obvious bits and then let the descaler & cleaner go to work on the difficult stuff?

z

I actually do both, quick clean first and then disassemble and manually clean.

You've just reminded that clean is long overdue, thats Saturday afternoon sorted!

Advertisement