Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jobseekers and pregnancy

• 28-05-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi all i was wondering of anyone could give me some advice on this matter.

i am claiming jobseekers assistance for myself partner and first child, i have been on it 5 years so i understand they want me to get back to work or attend training days.

anyway i have had two kids in the time ive been on jobseekers, i recently had a baby and have been invited on two separate training events, the first one was about two weeks before i had the baby i rang and said i am pregnant due anyday i cannot attend the event, after alot of grief off the woman on the phone she said she would put an note on the system i thought nothing of it after that, a few weeks later the baby was just gone 5weeks and i got invited to attend another event i rang and explained i had just had a baby i would attend the next one it was still pretty soon after the baby surely i wasnt expected to join any course or go to a jobs event after alot more grief she said she would again put a note on the system, there was no mention of the fact there was supposed to be a note already on the sysyem as i had rang and said i was pregnant.

so basicially i didnt attend the two events, i did ring both times its not like i just didnt turn up. so then i get a letter saying my payment has been cut because i didnt give good enough reasons for not attending so i rang and got the same attitude again (baby is now 8 weeks) i have a meeting next week and dont really know whats going to happen, i read on the website that you are entitled to 4weeks before and 8weeks after the baby is born to a break from signing on surely this is the same for attending events,

i said this on the phone and was told i didnt inform them of the pregnancy, i did two weeks before i gave birth, late i know but i didnt think there would be any issues.

so im really stressed now. they are not being at all understanding of the fact ive just have a baby (and a toddler!)i feel like i should be intitled be cut some slack ive just had a baby surely i am within my rights for not attending the events,

i am just wondering what might the outcome of the meeting be? also if i am required to sign up to a course or training offered will i receive childcare? my partner is also looking for work and wont mind the kids (thats a whole other story i cant make him) so would they provide childcare if i was forced to join a course to stop getting cut again?

do you think i am entitled to get the cut paid back as i was in the time frame that is says you get a break from signing on

sorry for the long post any advice on how to go about what happens next would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would turn up to the meeting with all children and all supporting documentation you have for the newest baby.

No creche will take a baby before 6 months so even if they offer you a CETS place it won't be until then.

But JSA is job seekers allowance and you have to be actively seeking work or you have to sign off or claim illness benefit if you are unfit for work.

As both parents are claiming JSA then the dept would have to ask who is going to mind the kids if either parent is successful. I'm not sure you could claim to only be looking for the opposite hours to your partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If your partner claims for the whole family then there will be no requirement for you to be available, fit or actively looking for work, which is a condition of Jobseekers.
    You mentioned that he is looking for work so he should satisfy the claim conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I believe you have been very harshly treated here.
    You should've been asked to sign a form, UP22, offered bank or cheque payment options and excused from signing for 4 weeks before birth and 8 weeks after.

If the local office does not re-instate your full payment, submit an appeal to the Appeals Office and request your local CWO to top up your payment while you wait for the appeal.

It is your fault that you did not inform the office of your pregnancy in good time but it is not your fault that the person you contacted on the phone did not take the appropriate action.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-Allowance.aspx

(c) Pregnancy

Pregnancy is not an illness and in the absence of any complications of pregnancy or other illness, a pregnant woman (who may not be entitled to Maternity Benefit) satisfies the condition of being capable of work for the purpose of Jobseeker's Allowance throughout her pregnancy and in the period following the birth. She will also satisfy the availability condition unless there are other factors which could call her general availability for work into question. She must, however, continue to look for work throughout her pregnancy and in the period after the birth of her child in order to satisfy the condition of genuinely seeking work. On an administrative basis a woman will not normally be requested to prove that she is genuinely seeking work in the 4 weeks immediately before the expected date of birth of her child or in the 8 weeks period following the birth. She will not be required to attend at the the Local Office for signing purpose during this period provided she tells the Local Office of her pregnancy.

Advertisement